Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: DO YOU HAVE SLEEP APNEA?
YES 2 25.00%
NO 3 37.50%
I KNOW SOMEONE WHO DOES 3 37.50%
I DONT KNOW 1 12.50%
I HAVE NEVER BEEN TESTED 1 12.50%
I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Games and Polls SLEEP APNEA is dangerous! SLEEP APNEA is dangerous!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #21
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,630.70
Savings: 0.00
Wow Apache when you answer a question-you answer. It sounds solid but how confident are you in the source of information? If these sources are reliable then many folks can certainly benefit from this thread I am sure. Thanks!
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,323.85
Savings: 1.00
How Is Central Sleep Apnea Diagnosed?

If you have some of these symptoms of central sleep apnea, or if a family member or bed partner notices that you stop breathing while sleeping, you should talk to your doctor or health care provider.

Your doctor is likely to perform a physical exam, take a medical history, and recommend a sleep history. The next step will likely be an overnight sleep study called a polysomnogram. This test is performed in a sleep lab under the direct supervision of a trained technologist. During the test, the following body functions may be monitored:

*electrical activity of the brain
*eye movements
*muscle activity
*heart rate
*breathing patterns
*air flow
*blood oxygen levels

After the study is completed, the technologist will tally the number of times that breathing is impaired during sleep and then grade the severity of sleep apnea. In some cases, a multiple sleep latency test is performed on the day after the overnight test to measure how quickly you fall asleep. In this test, patients are given several opportunities to fall asleep during the course of a day when they normally would be awake.

How Is Central Sleep Apnea Treated?

If central sleep apnea is associated with some other condition, such as congestive heart failure, that condition is treated.

Some of the more conservative treatments for obstructive sleep apnea would likely benefit people with central sleep apnea as well. Some of these conservative treatments include:

*losing weight if necessary, and then maintaining a healthy weight
*avoiding the use of alcohol and sleeping pills, as these items make the airway more
likely to collapse during sleep
*sleeping on your side if you have apneic events when sleeping on your back, possibly
using pillows or other devices to keep you in place
*using nasal sprays or breathing strips to keep air flowing if you have sinus problems or
nasal congestion
*avoiding sleep deprivation

Another treatment is continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), which is the preferred initial treatment for most people with obstructive sleep apnea. The treatment has been beneficial in people with central sleep apnea, as well. This is especially true of people who have central sleep apnea associated with heart failure.

With CPAP, patients wear a mask over their nose and/or mouth. An air blower forces air through the nose and/or mouth. The air pressure is adjusted so that it is just enough to prevent the upper airway tissues from collapsing during sleep. The pressure is constant and continuous. CPAP prevents airway closure while it is being used, but apnea episodes return when CPAP is stopped or is used improperly. Other styles and types of positive airway pressure devices are available for people who have difficulty tolerating CPAP.

2005-2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional information.

Last edited by APACHEFIRE; 01-14-2012 at 03:31 PM..
APACHEFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #23
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
Wow Apache when you answer a question-you answer. It sounds solid but how confident are you in the source of information? If these sources are reliable then many folks can certainly benefit from this thread I am sure. Thanks!
VERY CONFIDENT.....i not only read at different locations on the internet, but asked different doctors for information. i have also asked many differnt people, professionals and non-professionals about this subject. i am going based on all of the information i know. mainly because i have to do something so i may live a much better quality of life (without so many pills).

i sure hope to do our people a great deal of good with this thread. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #24
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

Sleep Disorders: When to Seek Medical Help for Snoring
Medical treatment for snoring may help if you or someone close to you is not sleeping well because of it. Here are some signs you should consider seeking medical care for snoring:

*Falling asleep during normal waking hours
*Becoming irritable
*Losing concentration
*Becoming depressed

When you call to make an appointment, let them know that you want to talk to the doctor about your snoring problem so that they can schedule the correct amount of time for the evaluation.

WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional information.

Last edited by APACHEFIRE; 01-14-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
Champion Dancer

Items SwordTreasure Chest
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 26,093.49
Thanks Apachefire! Very informative! By reading all this I now know that by losing some of my weight I have probably prevented myself form getting it as bad as some have it!
Stands Alone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

Exclamation VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION for anyone who reads this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stands Alone View Post
Thanks Apachefire! Very informative! By reading all this I now know that by losing some of my weight I have probably prevented myself form getting it as bad as some have it!
I cannot and do not take credit for writing any of the afore mentioned information. i just brought it to share with others so that they might gain knowledge about this subject, as i have. i felt it was important enough to share with everyone.

along with the following....i nor does powwows.com or any single person employed by or associated with powwows.com provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
Champion Dancer

Items SwordTreasure Chest
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 26,093.49
I'm sorry I didn't think you had wrote it! I was only thanking you for posting all the info and I do not use things I read as a medical diagnosis.....I thought it was informative!
Stands Alone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stands Alone View Post
I'm sorry I didn't think you had wrote it! I was only thanking you for posting all the info and I do not use things I read as a medical diagnosis.....I thought it was informative!
no ,no...this wasnt posted because of what you said.....someone told me i HAD to post this other stuff to cover powwows.com from getting into trouble. im sorry for the confusion.
Sponsored Links