Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > War Discussion Enlisting Enlisting

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 12:54 AM   #1
Insert Image Here

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 261.80
Savings: 0.00
Enlisting

Well today I offically got down pretty close to my weight and body fat percentage and called my recruiter. I've set up a time to do the ASVAB in a few weeks, and then paperwork, and on to MEPS from there. So I've still got a lot of time to get well under my weight/body fat percentage.

I'm joining the US Navy Reserves. Well as far as my political views toward Iraq/Afghanistan, Bush, etc- that can be saved for another post or thread or whatever. I am hoping to pass my experience on to those on this board who may be interested in the same thing. (And please... I've heard "why are you going to fight for Bush?" So many times it has lost all meaning).

The Navy has an APG (Advanced Pay Grade) program for those with specialized skills to join the Navy Reserves at a higher rate- like E-4 (those military minded people already know what I mean). Of course how much you make, and how many stripes you'll have coming in depends on your experience, education, etc. Having already been a Paramedic for four years I get to come in as an E-4 Hospital Corpsman.

Through research and talking with other Corpsmen at the local Reserve Center I'm going to be an 8404 FMF (Fleet Marine Force) Corpsman. As many may or may not know, the USMC is under the Navy, and relies on the Navy for medical support.

After I'm enlisted (I'll post my experiences with signing my contract, MEPS, and the Oath for later threads). I have to go through Navy boot-camp at Great Lakes, IL within 12 months of enlistment. For APG Reservist- we get to go to a 17 day camp.

I think this program works out great for individuals who want to serve, but are leary about taking several months off of work at a time for training. I was originally interested in the USMC- but 13 weeks at Paris Island, and however many weeks at the School of Infantry, and however many weeks at my MOS school would have been too much of a burden for my work schedule. The Army would have been pretty much the same way. I'm glad about using a skill that I'm pretty good at as a civilian.

If anyone has any comments, please let me know.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:06 AM   #2
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
sooo um... congrats? *L*

You know as an ex reservist/guardsman its never really one weekend a month and two weeks a year. I know that every year towards the end of the year they offered man days and kinda expected anyone to work. Course you could say no but when it came to other opportunities those that worked those extra days were given first dibs... besides that there's tons of opportunities to take TDY for like 30 + days somewhere which is a good idea to take advantage of. You get to travel and get paid for it. Also, when u put in extra time u get promoted faster and get to know everyone a lot better.

um... good luck w/everything!

MEPS is funnnnnn hahaha jk
Old 07-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Talking Good Luck to You!

All the best to you, Smokeater! I remember taking the ASVAB test YEARS ago! Did the E-4 in the regular Navy. I hope Great Lakes has improved since then... San Diego, though, was the bestest!

D
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
Savings: 1.00
Good Luck man!!! Just remember one thing when you get to your unit.......take care of my Marines......they do need you......

Semper Fidelis!!!!!

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD

Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
Thumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond reputeThumper has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by superndngyrl

MEPS is funnnnnn hahaha jk

you are a funny one aren't you, superndngirl.....
how come everytime i turn around someone is speaking spanish to me? this is new
HONOR THY CHILDREN
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Junior Dancer

Ojipelodoba is a name known to all
You will be OK, specially If you already have experience in this field. If you are a nurse with one year degree, you should be an E-5 after 6 months. I was Army reserve for 9 years and did Retention for a combat support hospital in new England, and we arranged for that for 2 peeps coming in, and they got there buck sergeant stipers real quick. The only problem with that would be that, as a Sergeant, you need to lead, and train the other troopies. And without the military experience, it Just aint possible. So you are looking good so far with the Initial enlistment as an E-4.
Dont forget though, you are making a commitment, and like supendngyrl stated, Its more than what they say about one weekend a month and 2 weeks annual training per year. But don't let that deter you away from this decision, My advise to you would be, keep your a$$ down, your head to the ground, and your gear tucked in tight around you!!!!!
:blow:

Last edited by Ojipelodoba; 07-29-2004 at 11:30 PM..
Ojipelodoba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2004, 12:29 AM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just think trees, lakes, rolling hills n fresh air.
Good luck DOC!

I have the highest respect for Navy corpsmans, because they do their job as well as train just like the Marines. Trust me, you'll do fine, but I have very high expectations for you. The best advice I can give you is get qualified, get it right away, and you won't get any ragging. You will get down and dirty, there's no place for slackers especially in combat. Do everything you can to get your pins and study.

Boot camp is like summer camp. You'll laugh about it the day you start training with the Marines, that's for sure. Grown man will cry because they have to get up early...............but you, enlisting to be a DEVIL DOC.........I got only got good praises for you, because you have the brass to take that initiative.

Good luck once again.
**jdazmum** is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
Congrats and goodluck. If the APG program is anything like the DCO program, its a biiiiiiaaaaatch to get into. Gotta be one of the best to get into it.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
BikerBoyNDNStyle

DANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant future
Credits: 70.00
Hey Donnie, Congrats to you my friend. As you know, I was in the Marine Corps for 11 1/2 years. I enjoyed every minute of it and cried every day once I was out. You'll enjoy every aspect of serving and working with the Worlds Finest. I'm very proud of you Dude. I'll make sure that we sing a few songs for you. :flag: :marching: :marching: :american: :american:
Old 08-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

Soul Embraced will become famous soon enough
Hey,I just got back from Great Lakes yesterday actually. I went to see my brother graduate from div. 269. It was..interesting. And weird..i love my brother for who he is and im glad hes making his own choices,but at the same time my views on the military and the government are quite different to his. I was pretty opposed to it at first but i shut my mouth,maybe its the best for him. But id just like u to know,coming from someone who isnt a supporter of war/military/bush whatever..im proud of u for making ur own decisions,and i dont think of u as someone 'fighting for Bush'. I think the humanity of all of these guys and girls out there has been lost to most people. Thats my brother out there,how dare they tell me hes a gung-ho idiot,or a murderer,they didnt grow up with him everyday for 18 years. So dont let those people bother u,though it looks like u have it under control. Sending good spirits ur way,gvgeui brother.

Jase
Old 08-08-2004, 10:49 PM   #11
Insert Image Here

SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Well I talked to my recruiter, and I take the ASVAB on Thursday. There they are also going to put the tape on me to see if I can squeak into under the maximum allowable Body Fat Percentage. I've already threatened them to march across the hall to the USMC recruiting office because my weight is down enough to let me in ;)

So hopefully I can get the ball rolling this week. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:33 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

Indigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond reputeIndigenous97 has a reputation beyond repute
Best of Luck!

SmokeEater!
Best of luck to you buddy! I have to admit, there was a time where I kind of snickered when it came to viewing our Corpsman, they were always in the HumV's when we were on our humps(A hump is when ya throw your 60pd pack and you go on a nice little 15 - 20 mile hike), some of them would hump with us but the majority of them would just catch a ride. It wasn't until I went out to Bridgeport and did the summer package for the Mountain Warefare Training School that I gained my respect for you guys. We had this one Doc, that was kind of out of shape and we all thought he wasn't going to be able to hang. But hell if he didn't prove us all wrong, he was huffing and puffing but he was with us every step of the way!!!
With your work back ground you shouldn't have a problem and that Corpsman shool that you are going to be going to, is no joke from what I hear! So just hang in there and stay tuff. The one thing I will always carrry with me that I learned from my time in the Corps is that whenever you think you have just given your all, you come to realize that instead of giving that 100% you still had 110% left in you and that is all you'll need to carry you through! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and the rest of your buddy and mind will soon follow suit.
So good luck to you and take care of those DEVIL DOGS!
SEMPER FI!
<Semper Fi!>

Last edited by Indigenous97; 08-09-2004 at 08:36 PM..
Indigenous97 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #13
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah, one other thing, when your with your Marines, do them a favor and teach them how to give IV's and other little things....believe me, when you get out in the world, you're gonna be glad you have that many extra people who know how to do that.....I'm sure glad my Corpsman had taught me those things, I'm no doc, but I can hang with the best of them when it comes to first aid.......

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #14
Insert Image Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50calNDN
Oh yeah, one other thing, when your with your Marines, do them a favor and teach them how to give IV's and other little things

Interesting that you should say that.... When I first became a Paramedic I was GREEN when it came to IV skills. I had trouble with veins rolling, blowing, and hiding. The best trick I learned in anchoring a vein and looking for hidden veins came from a strung out Heroin addict in the back of my bus. I never had too much trouble since then.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:11 PM   #15
Teen Dancer

Sophie is a name known to all
your fellow soldiers will be lucky to have you there for them... anyone who can do what you can do will be worth their weight in gold (so hey, maybe it ain't so bad to be squeakin' at the weight limit - lol!) and your experience will make you the one to turn to when the goin' gets rough. May God bless you and keep you safe!
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #16
Not for the Weak &amp;amp; Timid

TaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond repute
TaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond reputeTaShunka Luta has a reputation beyond repute
Cool - congrats on your enlistment SmokeEater!!!! And....if you went Army you'd be in the same MOS series as me :)
Old 09-13-2004, 09:53 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

Medievalbelle will become famous soon enough
Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed

Last edited by Medievalbelle; 03-13-2009 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Attempting to delete profile
Medievalbelle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

shopaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Well today I offically got down pretty close to my weight and body fat percentage and called my recruiter. I've set up a time to do the ASVAB in a few weeks, and then paperwork, and on to MEPS from there. So I've still got a lot of time to get well under my weight/body fat percentage.

I'm joining the US Navy Reserves. Well as far as my political views toward Iraq/Afghanistan, Bush, etc- that can be saved for another post or thread or whatever. I am hoping to pass my experience on to those on this board who may be interested in the same thing. (And please... I've heard "why are you going to fight for Bush?" So many times it has lost all meaning).

The Navy has an APG (Advanced Pay Grade) program for those with specialized skills to join the Navy Reserves at a higher rate- like E-4 (those military minded people already know what I mean). Of course how much you make, and how many stripes you'll have coming in depends on your experience, education, etc. Having already been a Paramedic for four years I get to come in as an E-4 Hospital Corpsman.

Through research and talking with other Corpsmen at the local Reserve Center I'm going to be an 8404 FMF (Fleet Marine Force) Corpsman. As many may or may not know, the USMC is under the Navy, and relies on the Navy for medical support.

After I'm enlisted (I'll post my experiences with signing my contract, MEPS, and the Oath for later threads). I have to go through Navy boot-camp at Great Lakes, IL within 12 months of enlistment. For APG Reservist- we get to go to a 17 day camp.

I think this program works out great for individuals who want to serve, but are leary about taking several months off of work at a time for training. I was originally interested in the USMC- but 13 weeks at Paris Island, and however many weeks at the School of Infantry, and however many weeks at my MOS school would have been too much of a burden for my work schedule. The Army would have been pretty much the same way. I'm glad about using a skill that I'm pretty good at as a civilian.

If anyone has any comments, please let me know.
Just remember in order to recieve your pay grade or the extra money you have to survive. As in the news around here a youngman trying to receive the benifits, just to pay for college never made it back to go to college so keep your head down. I'm sure a several hundred others had the same plan as you but was only returned to the ground. Be safe!
shopaw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2004, 04:23 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

bustface011 is an unknown quantity at this point
You have made your decision to go serve apparently, so why are you asking what others think. You seem to be focused on the the skills and advancement of carerr, know that potential cost. Are you married? Have children? If so, may want to consider a good life insurance policy, particularly in your line of work. I have seen recently on the news an interview conducted with a wife and daughter and their Dad, is serving in Iran as a contract person with a 1 year contract for 6 mil. He is doing it for his daughter's education, she want to go to Medical School. They already have two other children in college, and since education is important to the family for the success of their children, the father chose to volunteer for the pay off amount. He went because of the high risk.

I beleive that all our Indian youth should shun this war! Unless you are just adamant about the pay off for a worthwhile career. I would ask others to seek other means of developing and illustrating the warrior strenght, such as through education, which leads to a professional degree, such as engineering, doctors, increasing our numbers in the sports arena.

I sure do hope you are right about the time of training. I have been flying recently and going into Oklahoma there were some young recruits talking to elders. Seems the arms has shortened the training time. Bush needs troops real fast!

May God Bless you and Keep you Safe and return you home complete.
bustface011 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #20
is lost in reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustface011
You have made your decision to go serve apparently, so why are you asking what others think. You seem to be focused on the the skills and advancement of carerr, know that potential cost. Are you married? Have children? If so, may want to consider a good life insurance policy, particularly in your line of work. I have seen recently on the news an interview conducted with a wife and daughter and their Dad, is serving in Iran as a contract person with a 1 year contract for 6 mil. He is doing it for his daughter's education, she want to go to Medical School. They already have two other children in college, and since education is important to the family for the success of their children, the father chose to volunteer for the pay off amount. He went because of the high risk.

I beleive that all our Indian youth should shun this war! Unless you are just adamant about the pay off for a worthwhile career. I would ask others to seek other means of developing and illustrating the warrior strenght, such as through education, which leads to a professional degree, such as engineering, doctors, increasing our numbers in the sports arena.

I sure do hope you are right about the time of training. I have been flying recently and going into Oklahoma there were some young recruits talking to elders. Seems the arms has shortened the training time. Bush needs troops real fast!

May God Bless you and Keep you Safe and return you home complete.
Where does it say training time has shortened??? LOL!!! Ok whatever......last I heard which was like today training is still the same amount of time......and by the way, he wasn't asking others what they think of his decision, he was just letting people know the process of enlisting and the means of going about it......and what is this?? "unless you are just adamant about the pay off for a worthwhile career", anyways!!! I believe he knows what kind of a pay cut he is going to get, maybe he's doing this for himself. So thanks for the real "positive" words there. LOL!!!! oh and the only contract you sign with the military is your initial contract that informs you of the time you will be serving active and inactive....1 year contract for 6 mil!!! LOL!!! ANyways........

Sponsored Links