Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree111Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > War Discussion Hall of Valor Hall of Valor

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #61
I'm a bad influence on ME

Items GuitarPanda
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Location: jaw-ja, you know, way down yonder in the land of cotton....
Credits: 26,775.11
Savings: 0.00

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #62
is rockin & rollin \m/

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,397.87
Savings: 52.80
Jordan C. Haerter

Date of birth: July 30, 1988
Date of death: April 22, 2008
Burial Location: Sag Harbor, NY
Place of Birth: Southampton, New York
Home of record: Sag Harbor, New York

Jordan Haerter grew up in the small village of Sag Harbor, New York. Killed in Action in Iraq during the firefight that earned him the Navy Cross, he was Sag Harbor's first battlefield loss since World War II. The fellow Marine referenced in his citation was Corporal Jonathan Yale, who was also Killed in Action and who was also posthumously awarded the Navy Cross in the same ceremony. The North Haven-Sag Harbor Bridge was renamed in honor of Jordan Haerter.

Navy Cross

Awarded posthumously for actions during the Global War on Terror

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter, United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Rifleman, 3d Platoon, Weapons Company, First Battalion, Ninth Marines, Regimental Combat Team 1, I Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 22 April 2008. While Lance Corporal Haerter and a fellow Marine manned a sentry post at the Entry Control Point (ECP) for Joint Security Station Nasser in Ramadi, Iraq, a tank truck suddenly began to rapidly negotiate the serpentine concrete obstacles leading to the ECP. Lance Corporal Haerter and his fellow Marine quickly recognized the threat of a suicide bomber driving a truck capable of carrying a large quantity of explosives and posing a major threat to the more than 50 Marines and Iraqi policemen in the Joint Security Station. Lance Corporal Haerter immediately engaged the truck with precise fire from his M4 rifle, while his fellow Marine opened fire with his M249 Squad Automatic Weapon. Ignoring the grave personal risk, Lance Corporal Haerter and his fellow Marine continued their accurate fires, stopping the truck a few feet from their positions. At that instant the suicide bomber detonated approximately 2,000 pounds of explosives contained in the truck, leveling the ECP and mortally wounding Lance Corporal Haerter. The courageous actions of Lance Corporal Haerter in resolutely defending his post against an imminent threat undoubtedly helped save the lives of more than 50 Marines and Iraqi policemen at Joint Security Station Nasser that day. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, courageous actions and total devotion to duty, Lance Corporal Haerter reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Action Date: 22-Apr-08

Service: Marine Corps

Company: Weapons Company

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regiment: 9th Marines, Regimental Combat Team 1

Division: II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward)

Attached Thumbnails
jordan.jpg   navy-cross.jpg  

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Come on Rez Dawg, you can make it, just another step to go....
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #63

Items GuitarPanda
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute

Semper Fi, Marine

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #64
is rockin & rollin \m/

Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Brady A. Gustafson

Date of birth: 15-Jul-87
Home of record: Eagan, Minnesota

Brady Gustafson represents a fourth-generation military family. He received his award in front of his parents, older brother, both sets of grandparents and his pastor from Eagan Hills Church

Awarded for actions during the Global War on Terror

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Lance Corporal Brady A. Gustafson, United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as Turret Gunner, Lead Vehicle, 3d Squad, 2d Platoon, Company G, Second Battalion, Seventh Marines, Marine Corps Forces, Central Command (Forward), in support of Operation Enduring Freedom on 21 July 2008. In the village of Shewan, Afghanistan, Lance Corporal Gustafson's squad was ambushed from multiple positions by enemy insurgents with rocket-propelled grenades and medium machine gun fire. The attack was initiated by a rocket-propelled grenade that pierced the hull of his Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle and struck him, resulting in severe traumatic injury to his right leg. Despite bleeding profusely, Lance Corporal Gustafson quickly identified enemy positions and engaged them with accurate fire from his M-240B machine gun while a tourniquet was applied to his leg. When the vehicle to their rear was disabled by further rocket-propelled grenade fire, he directed his driver to push the vehicle out of the enemy's kill zone, and shortly thereafter the vehicle was engulfed in flames. Although medium machine gun fire continued to impact around him, Lance Corporal Gustafson remained steadfast, returning concentrated fire on the enemy. His effective suppression allowed the Marines behind him to safely dismount and exit their burning vehicle. Lance Corporal Gustafson braved the effects of shock and reloaded his weapon twice, firing more than 400 rounds, before he allowed himself to be pulled from the turret and receive medical treatment. By his bold actions, daring initiative, and total devotion to duty, Lance Corporal Gustafson reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Action Date: 21-Jul-08

Company: Company G

Battalion: 2d Battalion

Regiment: 7th Marines

Division: Marine Corps Forces, Central Command (Forward)

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #65
is rockin & rollin \m/

Charette, Korean War MoH recipient, dies

Medal of Honor Recipient and Korean War Navy Corpsman William R. Charette died Sunday, March 18, 2012. He was one of five corpsmen so decorated in the Korean War, and the only corpsman to survive to receive his Medal of Honor.

Charette’s death leaves only 81 living recipients of the Medal of Honor, seven of whom served in the Navy. Of the seven, Korean War recipient Tom Hudner, a naval aviator, is the only surviving Navy MOH recipient from the Korean War. Of the six surviving Vietnam War Navy recipients, two (Don Ballard and Robert Ingram) received their awards as corpsmen serving with the Marines. There are no living Navy MOH recipients among the 12 surviving World War II award recipients.

In 1958 aboard the Canaberra, it was William Charette who was selected to lay a wreath next to one of three flag-draped caskets containing the remains of unidentified American war casualties, selecting which of them was to be interred at Arlington National Cemetery as the “Unknown Soldier of World War II.”

Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #66

Items GuitarPanda

Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #67
is rockin & rollin \m/

Silver Star

The Silver Star is the third-highest combat military decoration that can be awarded to a member of any branch of the United States armed forces for valor in the face of the enemy.

The Silver Star[1] is awarded for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States not justifying one of the two higher awards – the service crosses (Distinguished Service Cross, the Navy Cross, or the Air Force Cross), the second-highest military decoration, or the Medal of Honor, the highest decoration. The Silver Star may be awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the armed forces, distinguishes himself or herself by extraordinary heroism involving one of the following actions:
In action against an enemy of the United States
While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force
While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party
Attached Thumbnails
silver_star_medal.jpg  

Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #68
is rockin & rollin \m/

Fallen MARSOC operator awarded Silver Star

Staff report
Posted : Friday Apr 27, 2012 9:38:17 EDT

An operator with Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command will posthumously receive the Silver Star for life-saving heroism in Badghis province, Afghanistan.

Sgt. William J. Woitowicz, 23, a native of Groton, Mass., was a member of 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion out of Camp Lejeune, N.C.

On June 7, he was serving as a combat adviser to Afghan Local Police. The mission was to secure the Taliban-controlled village of Panerak, according to a MARSOC news release.

Following a heliborne insert, Woitowicz and the Afghans found themselves under heavy fire. The Marine moved quickly to lay down suppressive fire, allowing his team time to cross a dried river bed where two Afghans had already been killed.

Revealing himself to direct enemy fire, Woitowicz’s actions allowed the team to reach a rock wall for protection.

While the critical skills operator was climbing over the rock wall to safety after saving his teammates, he was mortally wounded, according to the release.

Woitowicz, a corporal at the time of his death, was posthumously promoted to sergeant. His family is scheduled to accept the medal in his honor in a ceremony at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Triangle, Va., on Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
woitowicz.jpg  

Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #69
is rockin & rollin \m/

(American) Unknown Soldier of the Vietnam War
Date of death: Killed in Action

Medal of Honor

Awarded posthumously for actions during the Vietnam War

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pride in presenting the Medal of Honor (Posthumously) to (American) Unknown Soldier of the Vietnam War, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. AN ACT TO authorize the President to award the Medal of Honor to the unknown American who lost his life while serving overseas in the Armed Forces of the United States in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam Era and who has been selected to be buried in the Memorial Amphitheater at Arlington National Cemetery. Be it enacted by the Senate and the House of Representatives of the United States of America assembled, That the President may award, and present in the name of Congress, the Medal of Honor to the unknown American who lost his life while serving in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam Era as a member of the Armed Forces of the United States of America and who has been selected to lie buried in the Memorial Amphitheater of the National Cemetery at Arlington, Virginia, as authorized by Section 9 of the national Cemeteries Act of 1973 (Public Law 92-43), Ninety-third Congress.

General Orders: Approved May 25, 1984, Public Law 98-301, Ninety-eighth Congress

Action Date: Vietnam War

Service: Army

Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #70
is rockin & rollin \m/

Navy Cross

Awarded posthumously for actions during the Global War on Terror

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Sergeant Matthew T. Abbate, United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism as a Scout Sniper Section Leader, Third Battalion, Fifth Marines, Regimental Combat Team 2, SECOND Marine Division (Forward), II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) Afghanistan, on 14 October 2010 in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. While conducting a dismounted patrol through Sangin's northern green zone and supporting the patrol as part of a Quick Reaction Force team, the insurgents opened fire from several well-prepared positions. Unknowingly ambushed in a minefield, the patrol members were moving into cover when two Marines and the Corpsman struck explosives in rapid succession. With the patrol leader incapacitated and three severe casualties, Sergeant Abbate took charge of the situation and, with total disregard for his own life, sprinted forward through the unswept minefield to draw fire and rally the dazed survivors. Exposed and personally suppressing the enemy, he directed the remaining squad member's fires until they effectively suppressed the enemy and could render life-saving aid to the urgent casualties. After coordinating the medical evacuation, he then swept the landing zone for additional explosives before the patrol was again forced to take cover from enemy fire. Sergeant Abbate, knowing the casualties' survival depended upon their rapid evacuation by helicopter, again rallied the patrol's able men, and led a counter attack to clear enemy fighters from the landing zone and allow for the critically wounded men to be evacuated. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, Sergeant Abbate reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Action Date: October 14, 2010

Battalion: 3d Battalion

Regiment: 5th Marines, Regimental Combat Team 2

Division: 2d Marine Division (Forward)

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #71
is rockin & rollin \m/

Thumbs up Medal of Honor receipent Sgt. Dakota Meyer, USMC

A video made of the Medal of Honor Flag ceremony for Sgt. Dakota Meyer, first living recipient since the Vietnam war to receive the Medal of Honor.

Semper Fi....

Last edited by Ndnsoldierboy; 12-11-2012 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #72
is rockin & rollin \m/

Wounded soldier being taken off the field of battle.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #73
is rockin & rollin \m/

Helo picking up WIA (Wounded In Action) soldier from Iraq battlefield.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #74
is rockin & rollin \m/

Vietnam 1965.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #75
is rockin & rollin \m/

Barry F. Crawford, Jr.
Home of record: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Air Force Cross

Awarded for actions during the Global War on Terror

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Title 10, Section 8742, U.S.C., awarded the Air Force Cross to Captain Barry F. Crawford, Jr., for extraordinary heroism in military operations against an armed enemy of the United States as Special Tactics Officer near Laghman Province, Afghanistan, on 4 May 2010. On that date, while attached to Army Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha and their Afghan partner force, Captain Crawford conducted a helicopter assault into Hendor Village. Upon landing, Captain Crawford received reports that multiple groups of armed enemy were maneuvering into prepared fighting positions in the high ground around the village. As the assault force initiated clearance operations, they began to receive a high volume of accurate machine gun and sniper fire from an enemy force well over 100 fighters. As the assault force was attacked, Captain Crawford took decisive action to save the lives of three wounded Afghan soldiers and evacuate two Afghan soldiers killed in action. Recognizing that the wounded Afghan soldiers would die without evacuation to definitive care, Captain Crawford took decisive action and ran out into the open in an effort to guide the helicopter to the landing zone. Once the pilot had eyes on his position, Captain Crawford remained exposed, despite having one of his radio antennas shot off mere inches form his face, while he vectored in the aircraft. Acting without hesitation, Captain Crawford then bounded across open terrain, engaged enemy positions with his assault rifle and called in AH-64 strafe attacks to defeat the ambush allowing the aid-and-litter teams to move toward the casualties. While the casualties were being moved the team's exposed position once again came under attack from two enemy trucks that had moved into the area and were threatening the medical evacuation landing zone. As one of the aid-and-litter teams was pinned down by enemy fire, and the medical evacuation helicopter took direct hits from small arms fire, it departed with only four casualties leaving one wounded Afghan soldier on the ground. Captain Crawford developed, coordinated, and executed a plan to suppress the enemy, enabling the helicopter to return to the hot landing zone to retrieve the last casualty. While Captain Crawford's element exfiltrated the village, the assault force conducted a two kilometer movement over steep terrain with little to no cover. During this movement the ground force commander and Captain Crawford's element were ambushed and pinned down in the open from multiple enemy fighting positions, some as close as 150 meters away. Without regard for his own life, Captain Crawford moved alone across open terrain in the kill zone to locate and engage enemy positions with his assault riffle while directing AH-64 30-mm. strafe attacks. Continuing to move the team further over 1.5 kilometers of steep terrain with minimal cover, Captain Crawford again engaged the enemy with his assault rifle while integrating AH-64s and F-15E's in a coordinated air-to-ground attack plan that included strafing runs along with 500 and 2,0000-pound bomb and Hellfire missile strikes. Throughout the course of the ten hour firefight, Captain Crawford braved effective enemy fire and consciously placed himself at grave risk on four occasions while controlling over 33 aircraft and more than 40 airstrikes on a well-trained and well-prepared enemy force. His selfless actions and expert airpower employment neutralized a numerically superior enemy force and enabled friendly elements to exfiltrate the area without massive casualties. Through his extraordinary heroism, superb airmanship, and aggressiveness in the face of the enemy, Captain Crawford has reflected great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.

Action Date: May 4, 2010

Service: Air Force

:smllie_f

Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #76
is rockin & rollin \m/

Soldier dies in first Afghanistan deployment

CINCINNATI — An Ohio soldier has died during his first deployment in Afghanistan, and the military says his death was unrelated to combat and is being investigated.

Spc. Cody Suggs, 22, of West Alexandria in southwestern Ohio, died at Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan on Thursday, according to a Department of Defense statement Friday. It did not specify how he died.

Ohio National Guard spokesman James Sims said Saturday that he had no further information about how Suggs died and did not know how long the investigation would take.

Suggs joined the Ohio National Guard in 2009 shortly after graduating from Twin Valley South High School in West Alexandria. He became a truck driver for the 1487th Transportation Company out of Piqua, Ohio, part of the 371st Sustainment Brigade in Springfield.

Suggs' unit arrived this year for a one-year deployment in Afghanistan.

Suggs is survived by his parents, who live in West Alexandria, and a sister who lives in Dublin. They did not immediately return a call seeking comment Saturday.

Sims expressed his sadness about Suggs' death.

"The Ohio National Guard, we're all very close, so when we lose someone it affects each of us," he said.

The last time Ohio soldiers were killed in Afghanistan was on April 4. Thirty-six-year-old Capt. Nicholas Rozanski, 45-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Jeffrey Rieck and 44-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Shawn Hannon, all from central Ohio, were among 13 people killed in a suicide bombing.

In all, 15 Ohio National Guardsmen, including Suggs, have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #77
is rockin & rollin \m/

Sister reunited with brother’s Purple Heart

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho — Shirley Cowell told herself she wasn’t going to cry.

This was her brother’s day — a celebration of the life of Seaman 1st Class George S. Story, who died nearly 68 years ago during a World War II sea battle off the coast of Okinawa.

The 86-year-old Idaho Falls woman did her best to fend off the waves of emotion that washed over her again and again Saturday afternoon.

Even before the 2 o’clock ceremony began, Cowell stopped a recollection midsentence as painful memories choked off her speech, the words unable to leave her throat.

It was Cowell who answered the door that long-ago day — the day her brother’s Purple Heart and Presidential Citation arrived by certified mail.

Over the years, however, the family lost track of the medal and citation that meant so much.

By midafternoon Saturday, those priceless mementos would be back in Cowell’s hands — reuniting her with her lost brother, if only in spirit.

Cowell paused, then gathered herself.

“It means a lot,” she whispered.

Cowell paused again.

“He’s a wonderful guy,” she said of her big brother. “He’s 22 months older than me. He was born early (premature). I remember we put him in a shoe box in the oven (to keep him warm).”

Cowell chuckled.

Today, the shoe-box-in-the-oven technique has been replaced by hospital intensive-care incubators.

“We were very close,” Cowell continued. “He watched out for me and I watched out for him. We had such good times.”

Story was a 20-year-old serving aboard the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill when it came under attack May 11, 1945. The ship was supporting the invasion of Okinawa when it was struck twice by kamikazes — Japanese pilots who sacrificed their lives by crashing their airplanes into their targets.

Hundreds of sailors were wounded that day. Hundreds more died. Story was among the fallen heroes.

Army Capt. Zachariah Fike listened as Cowell recalled her brother Saturday.

If not for Fike and U.S. Marine Corps veteran Roger Balbo, the ceremony that reunited Cowell with her brother’s Purple Heart never would have happened.

It was Cowell’s parents who kept her brother’s medal and citation. After Cowell’s mother died, her father remarried. When Story’s father and his new wife, Grace, later died, within months of each other, the Purple Heart came into the possession of Balbo, one of Grace’s sons.

Balbo tried but failed to find Cowell. He had read about Fike’s efforts to return Purple Hearts to the families of the servicemen who earned them. He later saw Fike on a television talk show. He contacted Fike, who later that same day had located Cowell, setting in motion the events that culminated in Idaho Falls on Saturday.

While Fike remains on active duty, he spends his off-duty hours working on his Purple Hearts project. He’s even launched a foundation — Purple Hearts Reunited.

Fike’s undertaking is a true labor of love. He said he spends his own time on the project and funds it out of his own pocket.

“I’ve been doing this for three years,” he said. “For me, it’s all about the family connection, the closure it brings families.”

Balbo also attended the Saturday service. As a combat veteran himself, Balbo said he understood the significance — and the need — to make sure Story’s medal was returned to his family.

“It was very moving, holding that medal, the significance of it,” Balbo said.

The Purple Heart ceremony also spawned a family reunion.

For the first time in a while, Cowell also was reunited with her three sons — Peter, Scott and Don Isaksen.

Scott Isaksen flew into Idaho Falls from New York; the Story family originally lived in Oceanside, N.Y. Don Isaksen came from South Carolina to attend the ceremony. Peter Isaksen lives in Idaho Falls. Cowell has lived in the city since 1980.

Family, friends and a number of World War II veterans also attended the hour-long program at Trinity United Methodist Church.

After bugler Bob Reinisch played taps, which was followed by a spirited piano-pipe organ duet on “Anchors Aweigh,” the ceremony ended.

A beaming Cowell visited with friends both old and new and encouraged everybody to stay for refreshments.

Fike, however, was saying his goodbyes. He needed to drive to Boise on Saturday evening, where he would bring another Purple Heart home to its family.

Cowell gave him a hug.

“I’d just like to thank everyone for coming,” she said. “It was such a wonderful day.”

Purple Hearts reunited

Army Capt. Zachariah L. Fike seeks to return Purple Heart medals to the families of the loved ones who received them. Email Fike at [email protected] or call (315) 523-3609. On Facebook: Purple Hearts Reunited INC.

Last full measure of devotion: “He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live and grow and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, he lives ... in a way that humbles the majority of most men.” — From the certificate that accompanied Seaman 1st Class George S. Story’s Purple Heart. It was signed by President Harry S. Truman.
docat likes this.

Last edited by Ndnsoldierboy; 03-10-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #78
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndnsoldierboy View Post
Sister reunited with brother’s Purple Heart

Thanks for this thread. I like reading it. Makes me feel so proud of our soldiers and grateful for all they have done. Thanks.
Ndnsoldierboy likes this.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #79
is rockin & rollin \m/

Korean War chaplain to get Medal of Honor

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House says President Barack Obama will award a posthumous Medal of Honor to a Korean War Army chaplain credited with ministering and providing medical assistance to fellow soldiers under heavy fire during combat operations at Unsan, Korea.

The award ceremony for Capt. Emil J. Kapaun is scheduled for April 11. Members of Kapaun's family will attend.

The White House says Kapaun, a Roman Catholic priest from Kansas, exhibited "extraordinary heroism" while serving with the 3d Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division during a battle with communist forces in 1950. Kapaun stayed behind to help the wounded even though he knew he would be captured.

Kapaun died at the prisoner of war camp hospital seven months after he was captured by the Chinese in 1950.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #80
is rockin & rollin \m/

Unhappy Private First Class Derek McConnell has Died; North Caldwell Loses a True Hero

Rest In Peace.

Climb To Glory!

NORTH CALDWELL, NJ - Private First Class Derek McConnell, the North Caldwell veteran who served in Afghanistan and was severely injured, died yesterday.

While walking through an area of improvised explosive devices (IED) on July 23, 2011, McConnell stepped on two IED's simultaneously and ultimately lost both his legs, fractured his skull and right arm and sustained kidney damage. McConnell had been attempting to rescue another soldier.

His mother, Siobhan Fuller, wrote about her son on her Caring Bridge blog.

Born in 1989, McConnell was a 2008 graduate of West Essex High School. He entered the U.S.Army in January 2010. After finishing Airborne training, he was assigned to Catamount, B Co, 2-87 at Fort Drum, New York. Derek's deployment began on March 18, 2011 when he shipped out to Afghanistan.

In December of 2011, the US Navy released a photo of McConnell posing with his mother, Siobhan, his fiancee, Krystina Dressler and three therapy dogs.

Therapy dogs Lt. Cmdr. Bobbie, Rear Adm. Laura Lee and Marine Sgt. Archie pose for a photo with Army Pfc. Derek McConnell and his fiancee, Krystina Dressler, and his
mother, Siobhan McConnell, in McConnell's hospital room at Walter Reed National
Military Medical Center. (U.S. Navy Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Peggy Trujillo/Released)

McConnell and his fiancee and high school sweetheart, Krystina Dressler, had recently won “The Knot’s” wedding contest. On March 5, Dressler posted on her online blog “Now on to other exciting wedding news!” and went on to describe her plans for her wedding dress and their upcoming wedding.

Monday night, McConnell's mother Siobhan wrote in a public statement, “It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you that our hero, Derek, deployed to Heaven today. He fought hard right until the end. He will be missed and never forgotten. Sleep with the angels, my brave, strong boy.”

McConnell is survived by his mother, Siobhan, his fiancee Krystina Dressler, and his four siblings, Michael, Kellina, Ryan, and Sean.

Last edited by Ndnsoldierboy; 06-24-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Sponsored Links