Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ndnsoldierboy

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > War Discussion Search for 12 Marines ends without finding survivors after helicopters crash Search for 12 Marines ends without finding survivors after helicopters crash

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
is rockin & rollin \m/

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,397.87
Savings: 52.80
Unhappy Search for 12 Marines ends without finding survivors after helicopters crash

Search for 12 Marines ends without finding survivors after helicopters crash

After five days without finding any survivors, the Coast Guard suspended its search for 12 Marines who were missing since Jan. 14 when their two CH-53 helicopters crashed off Oahu.

“The decision to suspend the search without finding survivors was particularly difficult,” said Capt. James Jenkins, commander of the Coast Guard’s 14th District.

Searchers discovered some of the wreckage from the helicopters on the ocean floor about two miles offshore in roughly 325 feet of water, Jenkins said at a news conference Tuesday in Hawaii. The Marine Corps will now be in charge of the investigation into what happened and any possible recovery operations, he said.

“I know that nothing can ease the pain of the families of those missing, but I hope that the [search] efforts and the knowledge that so many were willing to put forth so much effort to try to bring those Marines home will provide some solace in the future,” Jenkins said.

The two CH-53s that crashed came from Helicopter Squadron 463, Marine Aircraft Group 24, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing from Marine Corps Base Hawaii. The Marines have been identified as:

•Maj. Shawn M. Campbell, 41, College Station, Texas.
•Capt. Brian T. Kennedy, 31, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
•Capt. Kevin T. Roche, 30, St. Louis, Missouri.
•Capt. Steven R. Torbert, 29, Florence, Alabama.
•Sgt. Dillon J. Semolina, 24,Chaska, Minnesota.
•Sgt. Adam C. Schoeller, 25, Gardners, Pennsylvania.
•Sgt. Jeffrey A. Sempler, 22, Woodruff, South Carolina.
•Sgt. William J. Turner, 25, Florala, Alabama.
•Cpl. Matthew R. Drown, 23, Spring, Texas.
•Cpl. Thomas J. Jardas, 22, Fort Myers, Florida.
•Cpl. Christopher J. Orlando, 23, Hingham, Massachusetts.
•Lance Cpl. Ty L. Hart, 21, Aumsville, Oregon.

A memorial for the 12 Marines is planned for Friday at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, said Marine Brig. Gen. Russell Sanborn, commander of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. A board has been formed to review the evidence surrounding the crash.

“The goal now is to switch to the recovery and the salvage operations … the recovery of any debris, any of the remains that may be discovered so that we can give closure to those families that are still out there that still want that final piece of the puzzle.”

Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 463 is the only CH-53E squadron assigned to 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. The “Pegasus” squadron was activated in 1944, has operated on both coasts. The squadron began transition to the CH-53E Super Stallion in September 2011.

I have flown over this area before in Hawaii back in 1999-2001, its the North Shore. Big waves and rough seas especially in the winter. I hope the find the Marines to give the Families closure.

And We lost 19 Marines in a helo crash in March 1989 in Korea from my old battalion in 1989 and off the coast of Okinawa our sister battalion 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marines, 3rd Marine Division which was attached to my battalion lost 13 Marines as well. Never recovered.

Semper Fi, Marines...

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Come on Rez Dawg, you can make it, just another step to go....
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 AM   #2
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 34,249.32
Savings: 0.00
So sad. I was wondering how long it would be before it went to a recovery mission. When 2 planes collide like that in the air, there's not much hope for survivors, although miracles can happen. My heart goes out to the families.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links