PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   War Discussion (http://forums.powwows.com/f47/)
-   -   Veterans' Circle (http://forums.powwows.com/f47/veterans-circle-12445/)

Speedy™ 08-05-2003 04:01 AM

Veterans' Circle

Quote:

A place for veterans of all nations, young and old.

I thought it would be nice to have a special Circle here on PowWows.com to honor our veterans and give them a forum in which they can speak, share their stories, and find old friends while making new ones.:american: :canada: :army: :marching:

spottedeagle 08-11-2003 06:41 PM

I agree!!!! I started a thread a long time ago, looking for other veterans. We had a few posts, but it never turned into what I had hoped. I know there are a lot of Veterans on the boards, not to mention family members of Veterans. It would be nice for us to have a place to get together.

eagleshield01 08-11-2003 09:12 PM

:guns: :guns: :guns:
Add one more to your list bros. Think it would be a great ideal to have a vets room on Pow Wow.com. Any other vets out there? Active Duty, join in too. It would be great to hear from some of you overseas. Let us know whats really going on.

spottedeagle 08-12-2003 02:07 AM

My suggestion from what I have seen with other threads is:

We have to keep this thread alive and kicking

and
we have to get the moderators or webbie to decide there is enough demand to deserve it's own place

WolfTears 08-12-2003 02:24 AM

Count my family in , Me (USMC) mom Army, Dad Army Sister Navy
Son USMC neice USMC . I would be happy to sit an listen.

Speedy™ 08-12-2003 03:38 AM

Hey! Glad you guys jumped out of the woodwork. Thought this thread was gonna die a lonely death. Where did y'all serve?

WolfTears 08-12-2003 05:01 AM

Last Tour was El Toro (Santa Anna ) base long gone now. Was in Italy , Germany short tour over seas.

spottedeagle 08-12-2003 06:03 PM

We got moved, but at least we are still alive and we are starting to make a little progress.

I served in the Air Force, yea I know, from 92 - 98. I was Security Police/Law Enforcement (yea, I know about that too, LOL).

I was stationed @ Fairchild AFB; Spokane, WA 93 - 94
Elemendorf AFB; Anchorage, AK 94-97
and Whiteman AFB; middle of no where MO 97-98

I also spent time at Lowry AFB, CO; Lackland AFB, TX; and Ft. Dix, NJ for training.

We have a long tradition of serving in the military in my family that included every conflict and war from at least the Civil war until now.

standstill 08-12-2003 06:15 PM

My husband is a Vietnam veteran (Army) as was my brother (Marine). My dad is a WWII veteran. My nephew was in the Air Force stationed in Germany during Desert Storm.

WolfTears 08-12-2003 06:15 PM

oops the dates were 1969-1976

eagleshield01 08-12-2003 08:42 PM

US Navy 1975-1983
First two years was a Hospital Corpsman(Combat Medic) for the third Marine. Switched ratings in 78 to radioman and served in Misawa Japan.
DId a short stint on Uss Samuel Gompers. Reenlisted and went to Naples Italy working with Nato forces, T.D.Y. in Beirut. Finished enlistment on Uss America CV66.
Also come from a military family(now I'm just militant). Brother served one tour USN, sister one tour USN, father 30 years US Army, retired Command Sgt Major. Three combat tours RVN, awarded DIstinguished Service Cross.
Heard on the news tonight that Bush is going to have AMerican forces in Iraq stay for a one year tour.:mad:
Looks like another Vietnam in the making.
Just my opinion but I belive that no good will come from this war in Iraq. I don't think we are getting the truth as to why American forces are really there. I think Bush is a damned liar(don't see his two daughters serving, too busy getting wasted) and has gotten us in a war we cannot win. Don't get me wrong, I feel as though we should make war when it is absloutely neccessary, but the Iraqi's did not ask us to come and help. I think Bush should concentrate on the bigger issues here at home, like jobs, perscription drug costs, not making war all over the world.
Just my opinion, someone has to take the first step, might as well be me.

eagleshield01 08-12-2003 08:50 PM

Just one question; Where the hell are all those WMD that Bush claims are all over Iraq?
And I've had enough of that young army private from WV who everyone is calling a hero. The real hero was the native women who gave her life in combat to save that white girls ***. Am I the only one who sees it that way? Now I hear she is going to write a book. This country is in sad shape if we have to hold her up as a hero. Give her a purple heart and send her back. We'll see if she feels like a hero then.

Speedy™ 08-13-2003 03:37 AM

Eagleshield, I couldn't agree more. PFC Lynch is getting treated as if she won the war herself. College scholarships, book offers , the whole nine. All that attention and fawning over someone who took a wrong turn and got into some deep sh!t. Just because she was female and white they made a huge deal about geting her back. Hell they sent Delta in after her! Meanwhile regular "joes" are over there fighting and dying and will get no more recognition than a number of dead count on the news. Her and her unit made a stupid mistake, got tore up, she was "captured" and brought to a hospital, shortly after she was on her way home. Lucky? Yes. Hero? NO. If she had been a man, you'd never have heard about her to begin with. :mad:

Just my 2 cents.

eagleshield01 08-13-2003 09:38 AM

:D You're damn right kola. Anyone have an email adress for her, like to let her know how I feel about it all.

spottedeagle 08-13-2003 10:11 AM

Make me another one who agrees with the two of you. What gets me is there was a congressional investigation into what really happened, and it all got swept under the carpet so she could be the first woman to be decorated in combat. What a dumptruck load of horse S$h*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WolfTears 08-13-2003 12:49 PM

:Mad What about the other 7 do we hear about them now? My family an I went to honor Lori , until they look at what her family went through I dont want to hear about this Lynch person . There are many that lost their lifes I lost a Neice to this war did we hear about her honor an courage I think not just a letter generic stating she served with honor an courage Horse Feathers they all can bite a dogs a$$.
I am so sick of looking at this white woman I could hurl.
Yeah I am sorry she went through what she did but in my eyes she is not a hero just a lucky little country girl.
I for one will never forget Lori an her family after all they are our ppl.
An lets not forget about all those lost in Nam , lost a brother an several good friends ....grrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I gotta go bead or something this just smokes my temper:Flame

Speedy™ 08-13-2003 05:15 PM

Just goes to show that some must go above and beyond to be a hero, and most times be looked over anyway. While others can screw up, cost the lives of their friends, and jeopardize the mission and all they need to do to be a hero is survive it to be in the spotlight as a hero.:Angry

eagleshield01 08-13-2003 09:51 PM

MenNie Turtles; accept my sympathy for the loss of your niece.
I was at a powwow in N.C. and the MC never once did an honor song for Lori. On Sunday I had finally had enough of this disrespect and demanded to the MC for an veterans song just for her right after the g.e..He announced the song after the g.e.. and made some flippant passing remarks about her.
I can see at powwows how even ndn people are losing respect for the warriors. The young traditional dancers calling themselves warriors just because they dress the part. Thinking their huge load of eagle feathers makes them someone to be honored. I've seen these young folks drop eagle feathers and not even claim them.
I don't wear alot of them, only seven. I dance old style traditional, going counter clockwise around the outside edge. I do it for the veterans, thats how I was taught. When I first came to the south, they tried to make me stop dancing this style. But I explained why I do it, and know the people hereunderstand. So I encourage all of you, the next tme you dance at a powwow, go once the other way, just for the vets.
Its all good, these young guys will get a taste soon enough, if Bush starts drafting, don't put it past him. But we pay honor to Lori by remembering her and perhaps dancing for her. Native people have always known what true bravery is, Lori was our reminder.

WolfTears 08-14-2003 12:39 AM

I served my country with honor as did my brother that was lost in 70. All my family have served in one force or another .
A warrior is one who serves an protects our home land . I am most times the only female vet at the pow wow an they will look around for a male to be head veteran only when they cant find one will they look for me . They need not look far because even if they dont ask I enter for all those that have served an serving now. It is my right an honor. I have never been asked to be Head Veteran an I must say I dont think I would do it because most times the MC has no idea what order the flags go or the order the ppl should enter in . Like I said I enter at Grand Entery ONLY for all then take my seat an wait for next Grand Entry , I have to many injuries to dance anymore so I walk for all those that were before me an that will come in the future. I walk with a good heart an say a prayer for Lori an her family . An of course my family . They still walk with us now if we take the time to listen.
Thank you for your kind words.
Peace

Speedy™ 08-14-2003 01:56 AM

Eagleshield, I totally agree with you. There was an old saying about this kind of thing. "Nobody loves a soldier until the enemy is at the gates." It took September 11th to happen before people in this country woke up and realized that we were not invulnerable and the price of freedom is not free. This country is among the worst in its treatment and care of its veterans. People in this country are too self involved with their own little lives to thank and honor the people that secure and provide the freedoms they enjoy. Doing jobs they couldn't possibly fathom doing themselves. I agree that a whole bunch of eagle feathers does not a warrior make. The origin and meaning of the dance is lost on alot of the new generation. Instead of dancing to honor those fallen and those still serving, most these days have thier thoughts on the prize money. I guess there is more than just one kind of wannabe out there in Indian country. The wannabe warrior.