Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Tech Help Question about virus or related subjects? Need help? Question about virus or related subjects? Need help?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

Items ElephantPresentDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 6,510.38
Savings: 0.00
Question about virus or related subjects? Need help?

I thought it may be a good idea to create a thread talking about virus and related subjects. What do you think? Is there anybody out there in need of help?
Hope we can solve the problems and question together!

But first off all, let me know if you think this is a good idea, and if so, what would be useful to explain? Any proposition????

Happiness does not come from happiness itself, but from the journey towards achieving it.
You can never be happy at the expense of the happiness of others.
GoggenGH is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
Do you know what "PHISHING" is?

In order to start with something, do you all know what "PHISHING" is?

The work Phishing comes from "fish´ing", and consist of sending an e-mail to a user in hope of cathing a "fish". The "fish" is YOU!!!!
The goal of the email is to make you visit a given site and provide personal information.
You can be asked to supply things like password, credit card number, social security, bank account and so on.
This information will next be recovered, and it can be used to take over your mailbox, or worse, empty your bank-account!
Do NEVER react to these kinds of email!!!!

Here are some examples:
And an nice video you can take a look at: http://video.about.com/email/Identif...shing-Scam.htm

If you want to read more about it, just type "phishing" on google.com, and it will give you about 9 050 000 results!!!
Good reading!!!!

Happiness does not come from happiness itself, but from the journey towards achieving it.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 33,763.94
This has the makings of a great thread.
I am a really skeptical person, so phishing scams go right into my spam folder.I got one the other day from UPS that said they tried to deliver a package and couldn't. That odd because I was h ome, my son was there and we have a dog that barks when he hears a leaf blow across the yard. I was expecting a package in the mail, though and contacted the friend who is sending it just to be sure she didn't send it UPS and she had not. I deleted the email.
Now that I think about it, I do have a question-if somebody sends you an email with a virus, it cannot infect your computer unless you open the email, can it? I am mega paranoid about viruses and all that other stuff and run scans about 3 times a week. I have Avast constantly running and then either run Spybot, Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware seperately. I alternate. I figure what one doesn't catch, the others will.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
...phishing scams go right into my spam folder.
That sounds good, but the morning you are a little bit tired, and you get a mail telling you that you have paied too much to your phone-company, and "they" just ask you do a small click in order to get the money back. It's so easy to do!

Quote:
...if somebody sends you an email with a virus, it cannot infect your computer unless you open the email, can it?
I do not want to scare you, but I believe you can be affected even without open the mail!
As I'm not an expert, I would like to get some feedback on this. Can anybody confirm or de-confirm this fact????
in any case, keep ALWAYS your anti-virus programmes and system up to date!!!!

Quote:
...I got one the other day from UPS that said they tried to deliver a package and couldn't.
That odd because I was home, my son was there and we have a dog that barks when he hears a leaf blow across the yard.
I was expecting a package in the mail, though and contacted the friend who is sending it just to be sure she
didn't send it UPS and she had not. I deleted the email...
What did this mail ask you to do? You had to click on a link?
This is often the case, and by clicking on this link, you may execute an infected program.

Quote:
...I am mega paranoid about viruses and all that other stuff and run scans about 3 times a week.
I have Avast constantly running and then either run Spybot, Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware seperately. I alternate. I figure what one doesn't catch, the others will.
I do like you, using several programs.
For the ones who like to do the same:
Spybot - Search & Destroy: The home of Spybot-S&D!
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes

When somebody tells me "I have never got any message about virus on my computer, so I'm clean",
I tell them that it may be your anti-virus program are doing a bad job!!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,318.40
You can't generally get a virus from an e-mail that you didn't download (same as opening) yet. What I mean is that in order for a virus to infect your computer the install code for the virus has to be run, usually you download and open an attachment or the e-mail has an infected picture or something that causes some sort of code to be run. Banner ads on websites are one of the most popular ways to get infected. Now if you use MS Outlook for e-mail management then you will end up downloading the infected e-mail BUT, you still have to open it. Crackers and virus coders can figure ways around it, but you still have to do something.

You are right about not clicking the link in the e-mail, the best way is to just go to the site directly. I've had a few e-mails telling me to log into my credit card to look at something and when I go to the site directly they have no record of anything wrong, so the e-mail was fake.

There is a little trick called "spoofing" basically the person who wants to steal your info fakes your computer into showing you that you are going to the correct address when really its fake, but its only done when you click on the false link.

As for anti-virus software:
1. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, the free stuff (AVG Free, Avast) suck, they let too much stuff in, go out and spend $40 on something like Norton 360, or Trendmicro's products or Kaspersky, or NOD32, whatever you buy get the Internet Security or better version because just the regular AV is not enough

2. Keep it UP TO DATE, and run scans every so often. Sure the program may cost you $40 a year or whatever but some of the big box stores charge $200+ to remove them.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
small bead addict

subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
The email had a link to click, but I never do that. Whenever I get an email regarding any sort of online account, I always go directly to the web site and never click a link. I've heard way too many horror stories from people who have done that. I hope soembod chimes in here about if you have to open a virus containg email before getting the virus.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
small bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
You can't generally get a virus from an e-mail that you didn't download (same as opening) yet. What I mean is that in order for a virus to infect your computer the install code for the virus has to be run, usually you download and open an attachment or the e-mail has an infected picture or something that causes some sort of code to be run. Banner ads on websites are one of the most popular ways to get infected. Now if you use MS Outlook for e-mail management then you will end up downloading the infected e-mail BUT, you still have to open it. Crackers and virus coders can figure ways around it, but you still have to do something.

You are right about not clicking the link in the e-mail, the best way is to just go to the site directly. I've had a few e-mails telling me to log into my credit card to look at something and when I go to the site directly they have no record of anything wrong, so the e-mail was fake.

There is a little trick called "spoofing" basically the person who wants to steal your info fakes your computer into showing you that you are going to the correct address when really its fake, but its only done when you click on the false link.

As for anti-virus software:
1. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, the free stuff (AVG Free, Avast) suck, they let too much stuff in, go out and spend $40 on something like Norton 360, or Trendmicro's products or Kaspersky, or NOD32, whatever you buy get the Internet Security or better version because just the regular AV is not enough

2. Keep it UP TO DATE, and run scans every so often. Sure the program may cost you $40 a year or whatever but some of the big box stores charge $200+ to remove them.
Thanks for the "not infected till opened" info. When I got my laptop, I got a credit for up to $40 for anti-virus programs available online. My son recommended I go to PCWorld and see what they had to say about different programs. I read about SuperAntiSpyware and I got the full, paid version of that. I am pretty careful about what I click on-never banner ads-, so I feel protected with the programs I run. Like I said, I run a scan about 3 times a week, with the different programs.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Items Treasure ChestGuitar
Elo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,333.95
I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials which is a free tool from Microsoft with the purchase of any computer with Windows operating system.
IMHO the security program works as well if not better than Norton or MicroTrend programs. I have used in the past so many different anti virus programs and all were corrupt letting in viruses. So far with my last two computers, Security Essentials and Windows defender have been so much more effective at keeping my computers operating flawlessly.
I grew tired of spending so much money trying to protect my putters and decided to try this program and so far it out performs all others that you have to pay for.
If you are running a Windows system, give it a try.
Elo Janis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

I'm using Avast Pro Antivirus on my PC, but still...
From time to time I scan it by ESET Internet Online Scanner (which is FREE), and I find sometimes infected files, not identified by Avast.

ESET Online Scanner: http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
(I'm very satisfied by Avast, but as the Online scanner is free, so why not help Avast a little bit!)

I have also installed these free (for Home-use) antivirus programmes:
Spybot – Search & Destroy (1.6.2): http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

Items Treasure ChestGuitar
Elo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,333.95
Great thread with some good info.
Yes you do have to open the email message itself for you to infect your computer. In addition, be careful of clicking on items from different advertisements as they might authorize the sender of such advertisements to register you for their product. Example: I was reading an article that was included in one of the sites I browse frequently, Curbed NY a site containing info about NYC real estate and architecture, and in that article there was mention of Esquire magazine. When I opened that section of the article for more info on the subject being discussed, it automatically subscribed me for a years worth of Esquire magazine. About a month after doing this I receive the magazine in the mail and a card thanking me for subscribing to their publication!
I immediately called their subscription office and told them I never subscribed to their magazine and had no interest whatsoever in receiving it monthly. When I asked how my name and addy could have been submitted the newly hired operator informed me that I had visited their site and that it immediately subscribed me for the year long subscription! Unbelievable right? I got VERY angry with the operator and demanded to speak to the manager on duty. After a very "lively" conversation, he ended up giving me the years subscription for the magazine for free. I am still worried about how they were able to get all of my contact info just from clicking on a link in that one article. I then set my security system up to scan every night at 3am for the next month just to be sure nothing else made it's way onto my computers.
Strange how these companies have figured out how to do this just from an innocent click on an article!! When I was telling a friend about this he referred me to an article about how this is now common practice used by some companies to generate more income without you even knowing that you had purchased it.
Can never be too careful in today's technology driven world!
Elo Janis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links