Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Tech Help Scammed!! Scammed!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Scammed!!

Anyone seen a facebook scam offering $50,000 from a Powerball Charitable organization, and 'verified' by friends????

I got to my auntie's house just in time to keep her from borrowing money and wiring $1000 to some dude who was going to send her $50,000 for some PRIZE.

Apparently she was getting emails and facebook messages from her friend out of state, saying it was LEGIT and she actually got the money after she paid the $1000, and then even offering to pay 1/2 the fee herself so my auntie could get her "prize".

After a little googling, I found a website listing it as a scam, where apparently they request this money and get some people to give them their facebook and/or email acct password. They lock the original user out of their account, and email the person's facebook friends and pass the word along that this scam is legit.

AWFUL!! Those Nigerian scammers are getting sneakier.

I actually got scammed recently, from listing my timeshare with some fly-by-night company to 'sell' it for me. I told a timeshare rep that called me, and she said of course it was a scam, cuz who wants to buy a timeshare!! Yeah, just call me gullible.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,531.36
Glad you were able to stop your aunt from doing that. Did you remind her that if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is? Don't feel bad about buying a timeshare. They were quite popular a few years ago. If you can't sell it, try renting it out weekly-or even for a month at a time.
Scammers get sneakier everyday. Around the holidays, there was one going to a lot of online sellers basically saying "I'm in the Navy, at sea and want to purchase "whatever" for my wife/GF/grandma, etc.. I can't access my paypal right now, but......" Uh, you are using the internet-why can't you access your paypal? Or "Hi, I want to buy this item. I will send you a check for 5 times the shipping cost and my agent will pick the item up and you can pay him the difference." Uh, yeah, right. I replied to one of those and said "what are you smoking that you think it costs that much to ship a 5 ounce seed bead necklace". They pretty much quit bugging me after that? New online sellers are constantly posting emails asking if they are scams. Amazing how creative people can be.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
I'm not sure which is worse to deal with - the money scammers or the medical hoax ones.

I'm still getting emails from friends and relatives about floor cleaners and my dogs even though it was debunked several years ago. I just refer folks to either snopes.com or hoax-slayer.com.

Rose, maybe you could put a stronger filter on your aunt's email or get her one that filters out spam and scammers a bit better. I had to do that with my in laws, they would click on any email that came through.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
It came through Facebook. She's still trying to get ahold of her friend, who's FB and email accounts got hijacked.

I told her ANYTIME that you have to send money cuz you won a prize, it's a hoax.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
I had one of those once that came through my emails saying that he was a lawyer from England and that his client who had the same last name as I did died leaving millions of dollars unclaimed and he needed someone to come forward to claim it and that he would represent me as the legal heir. I contacted my attorney here and he told me to ask some questions and that it sounded like a scam. Well, when I replied and asked the questions the person came back all hostile about why would I question it, I was getting free money minus his fee and I should be all grateful. After I informed him that I had an attorney that I talked to, he got a little more irate and I never heard from him again.LOL
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,802.32
@timmy tiger its good you caught that, your auntie is lucky to have you. we had a bunch of that happen with my son's e-business email account. It sent all our customers a bunch of junk ads. I got one email from the "FBI" and it was the "FBI" saying it was okay to send some Nigerian guy money (in return for getting a bunch more back of course).

This scam is a craigslist one and scary: I got a guy on craigslist wanting to buy some furniture and asking me to accept a check and he would send his shipper by to pick up the furniture, I would have to pay the shipper though. Of course he will cancel the check upon receipt of the furniture or before, if it was ever good in the first place. I turned that guy in. He was just an hour or so from me. Nice scam huh? Checks are bad, but if I can verify and trust the person, I would've considered it, then he wanted me to pay his shipper. He told me he was an "ex-cop" (like that's supposed to make me feel better--my uncle was a cop--a good one though), he wanted to come to the house originally. I told him no one comes to my house when my old man isn't here. This guy was a real creep. I hope they got him.

You gotta be so careful because the law isn't doing a whole lot about these crimes and criminals are getting brave.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

bossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond reputebossywoman1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
It came through Facebook. She's still trying to get ahold of her friend, who's FB and email accounts got hijacked.

I told her ANYTIME that you have to send money cuz you won a prize, it's a hoax.
Everybody should know that!
bossywoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Ready to dance

My crazy auntie kept texting the scammer dude all evening, and trying to turn the tables on him, never letting on that she finally realized it was all fake.

I think she was trying to have him send her some money if she would get her friends to buy into the deal.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 93,168.19
A while ago at my friend's computer shop, back when I played a major role in getting his set-up, I called him to check on the status of some crap and he said he just got an e-mail from a business that needed 4 laptops refurbished and loaded with Office 2010 pro. So he said that they sent him a money order for $900 and that he had to send $600 to an address in Los Angeles California for the shelled out laptops and the $300 would be for the labor. So when I called him he had just returned from the bank to deposit the MO. I thought about it for a second and said WAIT A MINUTE! The MO did cash out and I told him to not touch the money until we verify this. The thing the through a red flag up first should have been the fact that sending them a MO to an address that doesn't exist is one thing but to tell them the info from the MO is another because they can cash out without having the actual paper MO in their hands.

I Googled the address to find out that it doesn't exist. I called the business in question and it turns out they are legit but they did not need computers fixed and did not write a MO to us either; they were however rude to me on the phone even though I was alerting them that they were being used by a scam artist. I called the USPS, who "issued" the MO, they said that the routing and account numbers were correct but some number on the MO was fake; which isn't enough to cause the MO to fail in the bank. We also called the FBI on the matter as well and they said there isn't much they can do about it because it was only for $900, even considering that it was the Fed's money.

Now comes the nerdy stuff.

So I cracked the e-mail's code, found the IP address and traced it to Lagos, Nigeria, what a big surprise! My friend, being furious at this point, decided to get even. He wrote a piece of very naughty code and attached it to a picture of what was supposed to be an image of the MO he was sending them; this is called "binding". The naughty code was going to cause his computer to play a series of profane messages, lock the system and format the drive. Needless to say he never heard from them again.

We Googled for similar stuff and the owner of a PC shop in Las Vegas had the exact same situation. This guy just played games with them and e-mailing them back and forth over and and over again. They say that their brother is in the FBI and that they are going to arrest him and what not. He let it go on for a while.

These scammers are so stupid that they target PC repair people, most of whom are computer nerds who can spot this stuff a mile away, well save for my friend who for some reason had a very bad lapse in judgement here.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
Senior Dancer

muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Hey toolbox, he got to keep the money, right? I should have sent you my first C program. It messes up a pc good, and it wasn't on purpose. Have you ever seen a haunted core dump?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 93,168.19
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat_skull View Post
Hey toolbox, he got to keep the money, right? I should have sent you my first C program. It messes up a pc good, and it wasn't on purpose. Have you ever seen a haunted core dump?
After 6 weeks the USPS and the feds took the money back and that was the end of the matter.

I don't think I have seen a haunted core dump before.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Senior Dancer

@Toolbox
that's too bad about the money. They probably kept it.

When I did UNIX admin work, I'd get an occasional error that didn't seem to impact the system but produced a core dump. When I'd look through the core dump for clues it would say crazy scary stuff. Kill is a UNIX command so its not odd to see that, you can kind of explain that, but it'd have nutty stuff like DIE DIE DIE in it and it was probably some programmers idea of a joke to mess with the admins, but its still kinda creepy like there's a ghost in the machine. Maybe I watch too much sci fi or spend way too much time on computers Neat programming trick though! You got to have an admin on the ball though for it to work.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Ready to dance

I love the error messages that the programmers put in for errors you only get once in awhile.

Yesterday I got one on my phone from Google: something to the effect of:

Google is unable to process you request at this time. Please try again after 15 minutes. THAT IS ALL WE KNOW!

I remember seeing one on a Mac:
Error blah blah blah NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!

The one on the movie HER ALIBI was great, something like:

Are you sure you want to delete this file?
yes
Are you positive you want to delete this file?
yes
Probably a wise decision.