Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Memorials My grandmother passed away and left all her things behind, what do they mean? My grandmother passed away and left all her things behind, what do they mean?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
angelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond reputeangelkimberley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127.59
Savings: 0.00
My grandmother passed away and left all her things behind, what do they mean?

So, my grandmother passed away November 24th. She faced the sickness of 10 people and still lived wayyyyy beyond normal human capabilities, she's the most amazing person in my life. I'm going through her boxes and I found a bunch of her things, she was very in touch with our culture and I want to know what would be the right thing to do. I find I'm clinging to this stuff, because it was so precious to her.

A drum, two drum sticks with red ribbon wrapped around them. One's short one's long. Covered in some type of leather and are both made of sticks.
Cedar (carefully tucked in paper, there is a lot), tobacco, blue red and brown ribbons tied together in a strange way, leather tied in red ribbon, a black and yellow bag with a bowl that looks like a huge seashell and a little blue bag with sweet grass in it, a candle.

Leather bag with beading on it, inside it is a black rock, ground up sweet grass if I'm not mistaken and an eagle feather.

A black maraca (it looks hand-crafted, i'm not even sure what it's made out of) with hair at the end. I can't tell what kind it is, looks like horse hair.

A hand-made dress (brown, yellow, white, dark blue, light blue) and a weird bracelet. It's not made of anything, but it's hard as rock with carvings on it.

An owl feather wrapped in red and black.

A white turtle made of opal and covered in jewels.

Does anyone know what any of this means? And what I should do with it? All I really know about my grandma's intake of her culture is her name is White Turtle woman from the muskrat clan. She was, I'm not sure what the word is here, but appointed to be an Elder. She was even given a peace pipe by her elder but she gave it to someone at the sundance because she didn't want the responsibility of an Elder and said she had to focus on her family.

Any sort of word or advice will do me justice. =)
angelkimberley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkimberley View Post
So, my grandmother passed away November 24th. She faced the sickness of 10 people and still lived wayyyyy beyond normal human capabilities, she's the most amazing person in my life. I'm going through her boxes and I found a bunch of her things, she was very in touch with our culture and I want to know what would be the right thing to do. I find I'm clinging to this stuff, because it was so precious to her.

A drum, two drum sticks with red ribbon wrapped around them. One's short one's long. Covered in some type of leather and are both made of sticks.
Cedar (carefully tucked in paper, there is a lot), tobacco, blue red and brown ribbons tied together in a strange way, leather tied in red ribbon, a black and yellow bag with a bowl that looks like a huge seashell and a little blue bag with sweet grass in it, a candle.

Leather bag with beading on it, inside it is a black rock, ground up sweet grass if I'm not mistaken and an eagle feather.

A black maraca (it looks hand-crafted, i'm not even sure what it's made out of) with hair at the end. I can't tell what kind it is, looks like horse hair.

A hand-made dress (brown, yellow, white, dark blue, light blue) and a weird bracelet. It's not made of anything, but it's hard as rock with carvings on it.

Does anyone know what any of this means? And what I should do with it? All I really know about my grandma's intake of her culture is her name is White Turtle woman from the muskrat clan. She was, I'm not sure what the word is here, but appointed to be an Elder. She was even given a peace pipe by her elder but she gave it to someone at the sundance because she didn't want the responsibility of an Elder and said she had to focus on her family.

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandmother. She sounds like she was a remarkable woman and dedicated to her family.

In regards to the things you found among her personal effects, it might help if someone could see the actual designs on the items. Is there perhaps someone who was close to her that could look at the objects to help you out? One of her friends?

Before my grandmother died, she wrote a letter that the children found that explained a lot of things in her possession. I was surprised she thought to do that, but we were all glad that she did because then we could give proper respect to the very special items she had.

Again, I'm sorry to hear of her passing.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
on tour

Quote:

My condolences - I am sorry to hear - all I can say is - keep those items safe.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Banned

WoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,640.56
Quote:

hold on to all in memory of her cause u have been given a great thing in yor life and a great honor
WoundedBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Banned

WoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,640.56
u are the choosin one to carry the honor

Quote:

u have all now u most learn and carry on in the foot steps where she left off at and when time come u will pass all u have on to a person worthy to carry it on all she had has been passed onto u cause u are worthy and the peice pip is used in many way's offering smoke to the spirits is one and smoke to heal and for the people so she was a very important person and now u are the important person wish u best as a honored person sincerly Woundedbear
WoundedBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,598.94
Quote:

Ijust want to say I am sorry about your grandma's passing. I'm sure you will keep these things safe. Learning about them will be a journey.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,198.88
Could you set up to meet with someone from your Grandmother's tribal council? I would think they would be the best to talk to you about the things she left to you.
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links