Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Information Grass Dancing Grass Dancing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,401.99
Savings: 0.00
Grass Dancing

This page has moved:

http://www.powwows.com/articles/?p=182

Last edited by Paul G; 09-14-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
the grass flattening dance is not related to the modern dance we call the grass dance. The grass flattening dance was done by the Lakota, as was the peji mignaka wacipi, 'grass tucked in the belt dance.' There is a line of progression of pre-reservation forms from social forms and society forms into the Omaha dance complex of the early reservation period. That early reservation form become the ancestor of the modern traditional dance among the Lakota of SD, and it become the grass dance among the Dakota peoples in ND and MB. No offense, but this is pretty sub-standard. this is were you are supposed to challenge me to write and better one. And if you want me to, pm me. I hope you haven't written one about fancy dancing yet.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,401.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
the grass flattening dance is not related to the modern dance we call the grass dance. The grass flattening dance was done by the Lakota, as was the peji mignaka wacipi, 'grass tucked in the belt dance.' There is a line of progression of pre-reservation forms from social forms and society forms into the Omaha dance complex of the early reservation period. That early reservation form become the ancestor of the modern traditional dance among the Lakota of SD, and it become the grass dance among the Dakota peoples in ND and MB. No offense, but this is pretty sub-standard. this is were you are supposed to challenge me to write and better one. And if you want me to, pm me. I hope you haven't written one about fancy dancing yet.
We have ones on each dance style. These are quite old and dated and have some issues, I am aware of that.

I'm doing some house cleaning on PowWows.com and moving these articles to the forums and getting rid of the current article system I have. Anyways, that is a long story, not really important.

One of the reasons I wanted to move them to the forums is to make them more current and correct. The descriptions I have on the dance styles are based on some sources I used when I started the site 10 years ago. They are long over due to be updated. By putting them in the forum, I want you, the dancers, to help write them!

Please send me your thoughts, changes, corrections, etc!

Thanks
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Warbler is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Cool Peji Waci / Grass Dance

Oh Etunwan wicasa . Lila waste peji wacipelo . Oyate yakpi ya kabuble hemakiye . Pass Crrek Singers .
hAU MITAKUYAPI ! tHANK YOU FOR THE TIME YOU ALL SPEND TALKING AND SHARING OUR TRADITIONS . SOMETIMES A DRUM HAS THE POWER TO LIGHT UP A WICAHCALA WHEN WE SING AN OLDTIME SONG THAT HE GREW UP SINGING WITH HIS gRANDPA , DAD AND UNCLES . gRASS IS MY FAVORITE STYLE OF DANCE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE QHO COULD SHARE A LITTLE OF THE GRASS DANCE ORIGINS , WHAT IS IS BEING DONE BY GRASS DANCING AND SOME FAVORITE SONGS OLD OR CONTEMPORERY . lILA WOPILA HE CICIYA PELO .
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

ritedeadlyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Helppp mee out pleasee .

heyyy .i wasnt sure i should really put this but, new to the site. but i was just wondering if anyonee could help me out with colors and style for a grass dance regalia. im not sure what colors to use or what kind of style . i recently past on my regalia to my brother . that i made myself. now that i have to make a new one for my self . im lost.. soo anyhelp or suggestionsss or anythingg , bee helpfull . thanks
ritedeadlyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Never Say Never

hollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond reputehollysurly has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 144.13
Aside from legends telling how Grass Dancing came to be (see below), origins of the Grass Dance are rooted in a more practical purpose. Before any powwows could be started the grass needed to be flattened. The Grass Dancers were the ones to do this by stomping on the tall grass and placing some of it on their belts as they danced.

Another version tells of the grass dancers who were the first to enter the dance circle, respectfully laying the grass down with their steps so the other dancers could come out and dance in the circle.

Yet another story tells of the grass dance coming from the movements of the early scouts seeking a site. The grass being high in new areas, the scouts would dance in a special way to flatten the grass and make it acceptable for a new camp or meeting site.

In addition adaptation of the agent of the Grass Ball is that the grass dancers were alleged out to the abode breadth feasts and appropriate contest were to yield place. The dancers adored the arena while they danced in time with the exhausted of the drum. While the grass dancers danced, they bedfast the grass with their anxiety in alertness for the ceremonies to yield place.

Many accept that the Omaha association originated the ball in their warrior societies. The grass ball movements absorption warrior movements such as stalking the bold or adversary and angry the adversary (including one movement apery one of the warrior's legs getting staked and clumsy to move and aggressive with this leg in a captivated position).

Grass Ball Legends

The best-known agent fable of the Grass Ball comes from the Northern Plains area. It (or a adaptation of it) tells of a adolescent man who was built-in after the abounding use of his legs and longed to run, dance, and play with the added children. His parents consulted a Medicine Man and asked if he could advice their son in some way. The Medicine Man brash the boy to fast and seek a eyes on the prairie. The adolescent man larboard the apple and did as he was instructed. As he sat in the hot summer sun on the prairie abnegation and praying, the continued acceptable prairie grass bugged him. Soon he saw himself dancing in a agnate address as the movement of the prairie grass.

He at once went back to the village and asked the Medicine Man to interpret his vision. The Elder then asked the boy's mother to help him make an outfit for the boy to dance in that utilized the long prairie grass. He showed his father how the boy would dance and a song was made for him. A celebration was held and he showed the entire village his style of dance. It was during this celebration that his legs were healed. This style of dancing eventually came to be called the Grass Dance.
hollysurly is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links