Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News ASAP! VOTE-Remove street name "SQUAW" ASAP! VOTE-Remove street name "SQUAW"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Wahela

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wahela is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
ASAP! VOTE-Remove street name "SQUAW"

My friends,
I would like to ask all of you for help with something please? Here in Montana, there is a "vote" going on through the Online Billings Gazette Newspaper. In this "vote" the question is being asked if the public finds the name "Squaw Creek" offensive or not.

Currently the vote online stands at 75% of the general public saying that the name is NOT offensive and has historical significance. I have my OWN opinion of that... ;-)
So, I am asking for all of you, my relatives, if your heart leads you to speak out in this "vote" to please do the following:
Go to this website for the Billings Gazette: http://www.billingsgazette.net/

When the full page loads, scroll down to the lower far right hand side... there is a "box" showing Vote on Squaw Creek and when you "push" the button you choose as your vote, then you can click the link button that says "show results" (or something to that effect)

I want to make the "good ol' Montana- red neck" mentality aware that we DO find this inappropriate. If you don't agree with me, HIT "DELETE!" to my message here, and have a blessed day everyone!

Wahela
Wahela is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Can't believe that the "yes" vote is still so far ahead!!
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Savings: 1.00
The Veho's who make all that up just dont have a clue as to what it means or just dont care, ive run across amny people who had no clue what they were saying when they said it and when i share with them what they are calling women they look at me in disgust as if im the one in the wrong you would think in this day and age with all the resorses people would be learning all this and have the ability to know things that should be a given like ya'h boys can have long hair and its ok my son just got a hair cut broke my heart but what his young but old heart shared with me was ,he could understand other kids thinking at first he was girl but quickly understanding and be ok with it and moving on , but it was the adults who should of known better that hurt him the most telling he was wrong so on and so on so he broke down and asked me to cut his beautiful hair that unbraided went to the middle of his bottom oh well sorry to go off the subject.
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
wow, has it been outinot public knowledge as to what the work means. this is awful, and yes i will do as you ask. good for you for bringing this out here.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Change is never easy. Especially if you've been brought up using the word. And not everyone knows that it's a vulgar word. The emcee at our school powwow even slipped it out, probably cuz of habit.

We still have a Squaw creek road in town and people talk about squaw dresses and the squaw race and I always have to catch myself when I think about squaw candy, I mean smoked salmon strips.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose
Change is never easy. Especially if you've been brought up using the word. And not everyone knows that it's a vulgar word. The emcee at our school powwow even slipped it out, probably cuz of habit.

We still have a Squaw creek road in town and people talk about squaw dresses and the squaw race and I always have to catch myself when I think about squaw candy, I mean smoked salmon strips.
Man...I sure hope badmaninc doesn't find this post!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I guess you have to be from Alaska to know what that is.

**WARNING*** This post will self destruct in 5....4....3....2.........
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links