Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News Feds want Ndn Royalties Judge Removed Feds want Ndn Royalties Judge Removed

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,511.60
Savings: 0.00
Feds want Ndn Royalties Judge Removed

Finally a judge on our side, and government wants to do away with him (of course).

Feds want Indian royalties judge removed
Judge described Justice Department as 'disgracefully racist'

Tuesday, August 16, 2005; Posted: 1:09 p.m. EDT (17:09 GMT)

The Justice Department took the unusual step of asking that a new judge be assigned to a 9-year-old lawsuit by American Indians seeking a century's worth of unpaid oil and gas royalties.

U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth has been highly critical of the Interior Department for failing to identify how much money Indian tribes are owed. Last year the judge held Interior Secretary Gale Norton in contempt of court.

Lamberth's "legal errors and unconventional case management" are impeding an accounting of the royalties, the Justice Department said Monday in a 20-page filing asking a federal appeals court to order a change in judges.

The Justice Department said that a July 12, 2005, ruling by Lamberth "is unlike any other judicial opinion that we have ever seen."

The department criticized Lamberth for making a "gratuitous reference" to murder, dispossession, forced marches and other incidents of cultural genocide against the Indians.

Lamberth's ruling, the Justice Department complained, described the Interior Department to be a "dinosaur -- the morally and culturally oblivious hand-me-down of a disgracefully racist and imperialist government that should have been buried a century ago, the last pathetic outpost of the indifference and anglocentrism we thought we had left behind."

The government's problem is not the judge, said Dennis Gingold, lead attorney for the Indians suing the government.

Gingold said the government's problem is the district court calling it to account for "100 plus years of bad facts, its pattern of unethical behavior, and its persistent strategy of diversion, delay and obstruction."

In 1994, Congress found problems with the Interior Department's administration of 260,000 Indian trust accounts containing $400 million.

The Indians allege the department mismanaged oil, gas, grazing, timber and other royalties from their lands dating to 1887. Elouise Cobell of the Blackfeet Indian tribe and others sued in 1996 to force the government to account for billions of dollars belonging to about 500,000 Indians.

The Indians say they are willing to settle for $27.5 billion.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, has criticized the government for having "never really even made any serious attempt at keeping track of the revenues" it owed the Indians. McCain says, however, that the $27.5 billion figure is "just way out of sight."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

No one "makes us" feel anything, we choose to feel, act, and react the way we do. ~~Nino's Philosophy

I am not the Creator and therefore cannot "save" anyone. The path one walks is between the individual and the creator; not to be judged by me. ~TurtleWoman
TurtleWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,511.60
This was posted by hatfield; I didn't realize it was the same article until I re-read the articles a minute ago...my apologies.

I get so tired of people finally doing something with a good heart for our people, and getting rifted for their actions. I know it's an "age old story," but things like this still burn my butt.

No one "makes us" feel anything, we choose to feel, act, and react the way we do. ~~Nino's Philosophy

I am not the Creator and therefore cannot "save" anyone. The path one walks is between the individual and the creator; not to be judged by me. ~TurtleWoman
TurtleWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
do-na-da-go-hv-i

hatfield589 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Angry Same here!

I know the feeling,it burns me up when they finally do something FOR our people and not TO our people and all the government can think about is how fast can they make this person disappear.