Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News Nature whiping out nature? Nature whiping out nature?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
CaudwellianDialect is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 177.53
Savings: 0.00
Nature whiping out nature?

Not sure where to post this - but it seems like a lot of scientists argue the ancestors the Killer Whale wiped out the Megalodon shark. They were larger, by almost twice the size of Killer Whales (game was more abundant) and used tactics - they bite fins and tail primarily, making it so to the animal drowned. They use pack hit and run tactics to tire it down. They jump on the back, with massive weight, to break the spine, or ram and bite into the gills. So I am just wondering, as a question, to Native people first, our of sheer favoritism and respect, before any others are ever asked, is was this an isolated incident, presuming it occurred, which I think it did according to Overkill Theories. Was the extinction of the largest shark in history, by the super-adapted ancestors of Killer Whales a fluke, or did similar events happen that we do not know about?

Remember sharks do not leave fossils. They do not have hard bones. Maybe the ancestors of not just Killer Whales, but other whales and dolphins wiped even more out.

Imagine - Perhaps - A great krill or plankton feeding species of shark existed - and Grey, Humpback, and Blue whales out-competed it over hundreds of thousands of years. In scientific geography this would be the blink of an eye. Imagine an endless variety if sharks, all brilliant, some emerald or sapphire in bright color - and then the smaller ancestors of dolphins come along and annihilate them.

Impossible? Well the idea of Europeans coming here and wiping out entire tribes may have seemed impossible. I bet, time and again, this has happened multiple times, just at a slower pace then it does between humans, during the course of other animal evolution. We idealize and romanticize it as "balanced" because it happens so slow next to social development - a century is a long-time for "civilization" whereas for nature 100,000 years is an eye-blink.

My question is thus summarized - Did a great deal of animals live in the sea, that were wiped out by the emergence of Dolphins, Whales, and their ilk, that we will never know off? Were the seas perhaps richer then what we see today, and devastated, by super-intelligent, super-efficient, hunters never before seen? Perhaps the truth is half-way. Yet the implications are frightening.

OMG, could Invaders really wipe out a group? You decide: https://newsonia.com/report/megalodo...hales-invaded/

"Megalodons were wiped out when killer whales invaded "

In other words, maybe a dozen colorful sharks existed on a shoreline, and the ancestors of dolphins came and wiped them out - and we would never know. This could have happened world wide.

"But now researchers from the University of Zurich have discovered the giant shark became extinct because the diversity of its prey decreased and new predators appeared as competitors.

Catalina Pimiento and a team from the Paleontological Institute and Museum of the University of Zurich looked through 200 records from museum collections and databases, with an age range of more than 20 million years."

* note, crap, should be "nature wiping out" I made it overly-complicated.

Last edited by CaudwellianDialect; 02-27-2017 at 11:13 PM..
CaudwellianDialect is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

CaudwellianDialect is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 177.53
A super-early example of Nature wiping out Nature is the Utah-Raptor. Scientists suspect after that species of raptor evolved, it wiped out all nearby animals/"dinosaurs" except a single type with a small brain and a large amount of armor and a clubbed tail - simply because that species are next to impossible and risky to take down - they also do not have much meat under the armor and bones- without tools (scientists guestimate the Utah Raptor, despite chimp sized brains relied on claws and talons so much the idea of actual tools would have been foreign, imo, perhaps insulting). In other words - even during the dinosaurs some species surpassed environmental capacities. Nature thus, may not be so much balanced as it is multi-logical and chaotic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=423gd04Fz_s

In other words, I am crazy thinking, more species of sharks existed then we realize, some of which may have been as colored as tropical birds, because they do not as readily fossilize as other animals? And how beautiful and numerous were they, before proto-dolphin and orca Ultra-Predators utterly demolished them? I know it sounds like a crazy and irreverent question, but I do close my eyes at night, and imagine how much richer the world was with unique species of life.

George Carlin says "Saving endangered species is one more arrogant attempt by humans to control nature."

I disagree - but if the species lived, does it matter what my motives were to future generations?

Last edited by CaudwellianDialect; 02-27-2017 at 11:50 PM..
CaudwellianDialect is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 46,405.85
Since this almost a complete non sequitur (no powwows, no Native people per se), these musing should be posted to Chit-chat in the future :)

Sounds like you're staying up with Dr Hawking worrying about the extra-terrestrials. Don't worry. We can tell you the end of the world can be survived.
windanncer likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links