Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News Navajo Nation sues Urban Outfitters Navajo Nation sues Urban Outfitters

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Navajo Nation sues Urban Outfitters

..FLAGSTAFF, Arizona (AP) —
The American Indian tribe Navajo Nation has sued Urban Outfitters months after the tribe sent a cease and desist letter to the clothing retailer demanding it pull the "Navajo" name from its products.

The lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in New Mexico alleges trademark violations and violations of the federal Indian Arts and Crafts Act, which makes it illegal to sell arts or crafts in a way to falsely suggest they're made by American Indians when they're not.

The tribe has at least 10 registered trademarks on the Navajo name that cover clothing, footwear, online retail sales, household products and textiles. Tribal justice officials said they're intent on protecting what they believe are among the tribe's most valuable assets.

"The fame or reputation of the Navajo name and marks is such that, when defendant uses the 'Navajo' and 'Navaho' marks with its goods and services, a connection with the Navajo Nation is falsely presumed," the lawsuit states.

Urban Outfitters set off a firestorm of criticism last year with its line of Navajo-branded clothing and accessories — particularly underwear and a liquor flask, which the tribe said was "derogatory and scandalous," considering the sale and consumption of alcohol is banned on the reservation that spans parts of northeast Arizona, southeast Utah and northwest New Mexico. The company removed the products from its website after acknowledging receipt of the cease and desist letter.

But the Navajo Nation wrote in its lawsuit that products with the "Navajo" name still are sold through other company brands, like Free People, in catalogs and retail stores.

The clothing boutique's website features several pieces of jewelry labeled vintage "Navajo" with turquoise stones and silver. A description for a handmade cuff says it originally was sold at a trading post, and has etched arrow detailing with a "sterling" stamp on the back.

The Philadelphia-based company did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment Wednesday.

Company spokesman Ed Looram said in an email last October that Urban Outfitters had no plans to alter its products.

"Like many other fashion brands, we interpret trends and will continue to do so for years to come," he said. "The Native American-inspired trend and specifically the term 'Navajo' have been cycling thru fashion, fine art and design for the last few years."

He later declined further comment, saying the matter was in the hands of legal counsel.

Tuesday's action isn't the first time the Navajo Nation has asserted its trademarks. The tribe successfully forced the cancellation of a "Navaho" trademark last year that was used by a French company doing business in the United States. The tribe argued the name was phonetically identical and infringed on its trademark.

The tribe licenses its name to other businesses in exchange for a share of their profits, and it has identified about two dozen companies it believes are violating the Navajo trademark.

The lawsuit seeks monetary compensation and an order permanently enjoining Urban Outfitters from using the name "Navajo" or variations of it on its products.

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-na...145630066.html
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
I posted this article for two reasons one of which this is a Trademark fight but the other one is the Dine' allege this is also an Arts and Crafts issue!!

But this brings up an interesting point:
Does marketing your products as Native Made increase its value and if you go further and market your products as Navajo Made does that increase it value even more???

I know there are several members on PW.com that have debated this very issue to death!
One of the key points of that debate was: if the product is of high quality and priced right it will sell no matter what and you dont need the protection of the Native Arts and Crafts Act...

However it seems in this case a Company is Banking on the fact if you simply put NAVAJO on the product that in itself will see higher Sales!

Thoughts People???
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
About frigging time this got into court.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Pow wow Dancer

Cinkala has a reputation beyond repute
Cinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,138.59
I agree with yaahl
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,829.89
I agree too. Now, we need Dakota Fanning to change her name or pay up!
wanjica_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Pow wow Dancer

Cinkala has a reputation beyond repute
Cinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond reputeCinkala has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,138.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
How much would the payment be lol?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
And I'd like to see the Cherokee go after Jeep and Sears for the use of their names in their products...

Oh and those guys that sell snake oil and call it Lakota... here's a spoof on it...

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post

I know plenty of people that are mad at how she's named.