Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yaahl
  • 2 Post By Ndnsoldierboy

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News OK Earthquake Caused By Oil Company? OK Earthquake Caused By Oil Company?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
On The Rocks
 
AmigoKumeyaay's Avatar
 
Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On The Road mostly Retired Vagabond
Posts: 5,542
Blog Entries: 2
Credits: 99,476.66
Savings: 1.00
OK Earthquake Caused By Oil Company?

Largest Oklahoma Earthquake Linked to Oil Extraction Wastewater


The largest-ever recorded quake in Oklahoma was caused by the injection of wastewater, a byproduct of oil extraction, into the ground, new research confirms.

On Nov. 6, 2011, a series of earthquakes, including a 5.6-magnitude temblor, struck the rural town of Prague, about 37 miles (60 kilometers) east of Oklahoma City, crumbling homes in the area and damaging a federal highway. The quake could be felt as far away as Milwaukee.

"We don't normally feel earthquakes, it was shocking," said study co-author Katie Keranen, a seismologist at Oklahoma University.

Now, a new study published March 26 in the journal Geology confirms that wastewater injected into the ground after oil extraction caused the quake. The quake is the largest wastewater-induced earthquake ever recorded.

Ever since wastewater injection was linked to a series of small quakes around Denver, Colo., in the 1960s, scientists have known that oil extraction could trigger temblors. When oil is extracted from the ground, lots of water, dubbed "wastewater," comes up as well. So oil companies sometimes pump the water back into the well, where it fills porous spaces within the rocks, Keranen said.

"It's almost a lubrication, it can push the fault apart," Keranen told LiveScience. "When you do that you lower the stress that's holding a fault together and you can cause it to slip."

But in the past, scientist thought the resulting quakes would be fairly benign: most of these triggered temblors are typically in the 3s and 4s on the Richter scale, Keranen said.

In theory, however, these man-made earthquakes could get even bigger an especially worrisome possibility if they occur near population centers. [Image Gallery: Deadly Earthquakes]

"We don't know what the maximum size of earthquakes could be that we could trigger from disposal," Keranen said.

Whether or not an area is prone to such tremblers depends on the permeability of the local rock: If water can't seep through the rock easily, meaning it's not very permeable, pressure builds up and makes an earthquake more likely. Earthquake risk also depends on the presence and angle of faults in relation to the water-injection site.

Though the process that caused the Oklahoma earthquake didn't involve hydraulic fracturing, fracking often involves injecting spent water into the ground, which carries the same risks. In fracking, water, sand and other substances are injected into a well under high pressure in order to fracture the rock, creating fissures that help natural gas flow out.

There hasn't been much oil extraction on the East Coast, but as fracking takes off in areas like Pennsylvania, the risk of big quakes in the region needs to be considered, Keranen said.

Follow Tia Ghose on Twitter @Tiaghose. Follow LiveScience @livescience, Facebook & Google+. Original article on LiveScience.com.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
small bead addict
 
subeeds's Avatar
 
Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern Georgia
Posts: 2,948
Blog Entries: 1
Credits: 39,642.02
Savings: 0.00
Fracking is a scary thing and I don't think it needs to be done at all. If you get HBO,and have a chance to see it, watch Gasland. It will blow your mind. It shows how harmful it is and what it can do to homes in the area. One guy turned on his faucet, and when the water started coming out, he took a lighter, and was able to set the water on fire. Spooky, but informative.
__________________
Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Powwow Dude
 
Josiah's Avatar
 
Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Center of the Universe: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,097
Blog Entries: 4
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
We are still feeling these tremblors as they call them
Sometimes a popping sound other times its a small shake enough to wake you up
The Last one occurred under Midwest City which is a suburb of Okc
just last week.

Although the oil companies have denied they are doing the hydraulic fracturing in the area this makes much more sense since they are not actually using that process, so plausible deniablity is intact!!
Problem is the effect is the same...
Another huge issue is the fact that this area is not known to be an earthquake zone most homeowners do not carry that insurance! So of course with the oil companies denying involvement well who gets to pay for this????

Guess...
__________________
ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
Till I Die!
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.
 
yaahl's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 2,790
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
Not coming down one side or the other... but since where I come from has eartquakes on a daily occruence (Yukon/Alasaka)

The quake from Ok was felt in the following countries:

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM - Local Time at Epicenter
North America::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:33:07 AM (NDT) - Newfoundland Daylight (St. John's)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM (ADT) - Atlantic Daylight (Halifax)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM (EDT) - Eastern Daylight (New York, Toronto)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM - San Juan
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM (CDT) - Central Daylight (Chicago)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM - Jamaica
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 11:03:07 PM (MDT) - Mountain Daylight (Calgary, Denver)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 11:03:07 PM - Costa Rica
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:03:07 PM (PDT) - Pacific Daylight (Vancouver, Los Angeles, Tijuana)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:03:07 PM (MST) - Mountain Standard (Phoenix)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:03:07 PM - Mexico City
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 09:03:07 PM (AKDT) - Alaska Daylight (Anchorage)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 08:03:07 PM (AHDT) - Aleutian Daylight (Adak)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 07:03:07 PM (HST) - Hawaii Standard (Honolulu)
South America::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM - Bogota, Quito, Lima
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:33:07 AM - Caracas
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM - Manaus
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM - La Paz
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Belem
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Buenos Aires, Santiago
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Montevideo
Europe::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 AM - London
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 AM - Lisbon
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 06:03:07 AM - Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Warsaw
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Kiev, Istanbul, Athens
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:03:07 AM - Moscow, Saint Petersburg
Africa::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 AM - Casablanca, Abidjan
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 06:03:07 AM - Algiers, Lagos, Kinshasa
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Cairo, Lusaka, Cape Town
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 08:03:07 AM - Addis Ababa, Nairobi
Asia::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Anakara
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Damascus
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 08:03:07 AM - Baghdad, Riyadh
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:03:07 AM - Samara
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:03:07 AM - Baku, Tbilisi, Muscat
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:33:07 AM - Tehran, Mashhad, Kabul
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 10:03:07 AM - Tashkent, Karachi
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 10:33:07 AM - Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 11:03:07 AM - Yekaterinburg
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 11:03:07 AM - Almaty, Dhaka
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 PM - Novosibirsk
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 PM - Bangkok
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 PM - Jakarta
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Beijing
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Manilla, Singapore, Chita
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Krasnoyarsk
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 PM - Irkutsk
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 PM - Seoul, Tokyo
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:03:07 PM - Guam
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 04:03:07 PM - Vladivostok
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 PM - Magadan, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy
Australasia/Oceania::
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 06:03:07 PM - American Samoa
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 07:03:07 PM - Tahiti
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Perth
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:33:07 PM - Darwin
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:03:07 PM - Port Moresby
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:03:07 PM - Brisbane
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:33:07 PM - Adelaide
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 04:03:07 PM - Sydney, Melbourne
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 04:03:07 PM - Solomon Islands, Vanuatu
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 PM - Fiji
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 06:03:07 PM - Auckland, Christchurch



The one on the 21st:

Magnitude 3.2 - OKLAHOMA CITY URBAN AREA, OKLAHOMA

There were 194 earthquakes yesterday around the world...

OK has had a number of quakes under the 69 mile radius... not sure why you would say it's not a region to get quakes.. it is a seismic zone.

On March 27, Ohio had a quake.. 2.5 on the scale. Magnitude 2.5 - OHIO
__________________
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
.
 
Spiritflight's Avatar
 
Items TreePresentChange User Title
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,923
Blog Entries: 3
Credits: 13,023.14
Savings: 0.00
Please excuse my - explanation of how I see it. First it's frightening! Secondly I got the thought, is oil to Earth like smeer to metal parts for instance on a bike to keep it from getting rusty and to run smooth?

Does Earth needs the oil to keep smooth? To prevent Earth -whatever is inside from rocks from clashing too harsh to provoke earth quakes? Does Earth needs oil to keep alltogether - even the fluid iron center running smoothly? Please do excuse my stupid questions.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Ready to dance
 
wyo_rose's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Back and Forth
Posts: 16,510
Blog Entries: 2
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
I have serious doubts about that article. Maybe some scientists do believe that but, really?? Injecting the wastewater back into the ground cannot cause more lubrication than the oil that it was replacing. And I'm sure the water can't permeate the rock any more that it would, because the rocks underground are not scoured clean from oil which is how they would be more porous.

I'll have to read the article in Geology, because reporters always get facts wrong.

I've seen Gaslands, and you need to take it with a grain of salt. While fracking is not good, the area around Pavillion, WY, (on land ceded from the Wind River Rez, but the tribes still control the mineral rights, I do believe) has gas pockets right near the surface....which is why they told that dude not to drill for water at his place and he did anyway. That's why he has gas coming out of his water pipes.

The hoopla has caused a big ruckus around Pavillion, but to be fair, the town's water and most people's water wells in the area are fine. Encana does truck in drinking water to about 3-5 people homes, but I do not think that their water is bad because of gas or fracking...all along the Big Wind River where massive irrigation is going on, the water is TERRIBLE and most are not close to gas wells. It's from the irrigating.
__________________
...it is what it is...
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Powwow Dude
 
Josiah's Avatar
 
Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Center of the Universe: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,097
Blog Entries: 4
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Not coming down one side or the other... but since where I come from has eartquakes on a daily occruence (Yukon/Alasaka)

The quake from Ok was felt in the following countries:

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM - Local Time at Epicenter
North America::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:33:07 AM (NDT) - Newfoundland Daylight (St. John's)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM (ADT) - Atlantic Daylight (Halifax)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM (EDT) - Eastern Daylight (New York, Toronto)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM - San Juan
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM (CDT) - Central Daylight (Chicago)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM - Jamaica
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 11:03:07 PM (MDT) - Mountain Daylight (Calgary, Denver)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 11:03:07 PM - Costa Rica
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:03:07 PM (PDT) - Pacific Daylight (Vancouver, Los Angeles, Tijuana)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:03:07 PM (MST) - Mountain Standard (Phoenix)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:03:07 PM - Mexico City
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 09:03:07 PM (AKDT) - Alaska Daylight (Anchorage)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 08:03:07 PM (AHDT) - Aleutian Daylight (Adak)
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 07:03:07 PM (HST) - Hawaii Standard (Honolulu)
South America::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 AM - Bogota, Quito, Lima
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:33:07 AM - Caracas
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM - Manaus
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 AM - La Paz
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Belem
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Buenos Aires, Santiago
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 AM - Montevideo
Europe::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 AM - London
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 AM - Lisbon
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 06:03:07 AM - Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Warsaw
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Kiev, Istanbul, Athens
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:03:07 AM - Moscow, Saint Petersburg
Africa::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 AM - Casablanca, Abidjan
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 06:03:07 AM - Algiers, Lagos, Kinshasa
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Cairo, Lusaka, Cape Town
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 08:03:07 AM - Addis Ababa, Nairobi
Asia::
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Anakara
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 07:03:07 AM - Damascus
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 08:03:07 AM - Baghdad, Riyadh
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:03:07 AM - Samara
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:03:07 AM - Baku, Tbilisi, Muscat
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 09:33:07 AM - Tehran, Mashhad, Kabul
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 10:03:07 AM - Tashkent, Karachi
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 10:33:07 AM - Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 11:03:07 AM - Yekaterinburg
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 11:03:07 AM - Almaty, Dhaka
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 PM - Novosibirsk
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 PM - Bangkok
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:03:07 PM - Jakarta
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Beijing
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Manilla, Singapore, Chita
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Krasnoyarsk
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 PM - Irkutsk
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:03:07 PM - Seoul, Tokyo
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:03:07 PM - Guam
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 04:03:07 PM - Vladivostok
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 PM - Magadan, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy
Australasia/Oceania::
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 06:03:07 PM - American Samoa
Friday, March 22, 2013 at 07:03:07 PM - Tahiti
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 01:03:07 PM - Perth
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 02:33:07 PM - Darwin
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:03:07 PM - Port Moresby
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:03:07 PM - Brisbane
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 03:33:07 PM - Adelaide
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 04:03:07 PM - Sydney, Melbourne
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 04:03:07 PM - Solomon Islands, Vanuatu
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 05:03:07 PM - Fiji
Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 06:03:07 PM - Auckland, Christchurch



The one on the 21st:

Magnitude 3.2 - OKLAHOMA CITY URBAN AREA, OKLAHOMA

There were 194 earthquakes yesterday around the world...

OK has had a number of quakes under the 69 mile radius... not sure why you would say it's not a region to get quakes.. it is a seismic zone.

On March 27, Ohio had a quake.. 2.5 on the scale. Magnitude 2.5 - OHIO
Ok, we are not known to be in a fault area such as the west coast and most activety is far deep in the earth and of a low magnatude that is not normally felt. It is a common news story around here
since they began reinjecting waste water


But hey what do we know we are just dumb okies
__________________
ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
Till I Die!
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.
 
yaahl's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 2,790
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Ok, we are not known to be in a fault area such as the west coast and most activety is far deep in the earth and of a low magnatude that is not normally felt. It is a common news story around here
since they began reinjecting waste water


But hey what do we know we are just dumb okies
Brother, I live right smack in the middle of the biggest heavy oil fields in western canada. They've been pulling the oil out of the ground here using steam since they got the technology in 1928. Not one quake... and we are on the fault lines... closest quake to us was in southern sask when the potash mining caused it.

If you do some research into your area, you'll find you've been having quakes that are under 2.5 and not going out more than 60 odd miles from the epicentre... my husband's farts move more ground than a quake that size... what you are experiencing is the media telling you it's getting worse not that it actually is.
wyo_rose likes this.
__________________
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
is rockin & rollin \m/
 
Ndnsoldierboy's Avatar
 
Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Home of the Brave
Posts: 39,166
Credits: 76,397.87
Savings: 52.80
Welcome to the real world, where the earth shifts, mountains rise and fall, and even rivers can disappear from cracks in the earth. And guess what?! Its been going on for millions of years.
wyo_rose and Spiritflight like this.
__________________

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...



Come on Rez Dawg, you can make it, just another step to go....
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Powwow Dude
 
Josiah's Avatar
 
Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Center of the Universe: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,097
Blog Entries: 4
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Brother, I live right smack in the middle of the biggest heavy oil fields in western canada. They've been pulling the oil out of the ground here using steam since they got the technology in 1928. Not one quake... and we are on the fault lines... closest quake to us was in southern sask when the potash mining caused it.

If you do some research into your area, you'll find you've been having quakes that are under 2.5 and not going out more than 60 odd miles from the epicentre... my husband's farts move more ground than a quake that size... what you are experiencing is the media telling you it's getting worse not that it actually is.
So what your saying is:
Dont worry?
It will be ok?
Because Canada did not have a problem you wont...
LoL

Same thing they said to the folks of Picher Oklahoma
Dont worry about it
it will be ok we will take care of you (Yeah Google that one)

Are we talking the same exact methods of extraction?
Is the geological formations the exact same as the the area you are describing in Canada?
Where is the Water Table and how is that effected by this method?
Is this a new method used in Oklahoma? or elsewhere?
When was this method first used and what were the results??
For how long have we used these methods??
What is the History of these tremblors in this area and are they following a known faultlines??
One article is all I have read so far...
But to summarize based on that as media frenzy I would say that is not the case here its not like they break into the evening program and say hey there was an earthquake...

I have lived in an area in this country that is active with earthquakes: California and Washington State so yes I have felt the ground tremble, shake and roll for 20 years...
These have felt far different
more like a pop


By they way we are not talking about Fracturing
But pumping wastewater back into the ground after they have extracted the oil out
And yes Oklahoma has Oil Fields
LoL
lots of them
__________________
ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
Till I Die!
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
.
 
Spiritflight's Avatar
 
Items TreePresentChange User Title
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,923
Blog Entries: 3
Credits: 13,023.14
Savings: 0.00
Concerning earth quakes - we never get any in the north of Germany and rarely small ones further south. Something strange happened today. My american friends who came to visit me and me went to a fun fair and we sat inside some food booth when all of a sudden I felt a slight shift to the side and back, it felt like the ground was moving. Now, my friend said, it's the vibration from those huge roundabout at the fun fair, I said - well that couldn't be, it was not just a vibration but a shift of the ground and they said they felt it too still thinking it came from those roundabouts, but they don't cause a shift. So I said, if this shift comes back regularly then it maybe those caroussels.

But it did not happen again and we must have sat in that place over an hour. So I wonder what it was? Could it have been an earth quake? It felt like a very gentle move to the right and a couple of seconds later back to the left.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor
 
GoggenGH's Avatar
 
Items ElephantPresentDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France, but born in Norway
Posts: 367
Credits: 6,525.38
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
I have serious doubts about that article. Maybe some scientists do believe that but, really?? Injecting the wastewater back into the ground cannot cause more lubrication than the oil that it was replacing. And I'm sure the water can't permeate the rock any more that it would, because the rocks underground are not scoured clean from oil which is how they would be more porous.

I'll have to read the article in Geology, because reporters always get facts wrong.

I've seen Gaslands, and you need to take it with a grain of salt. While fracking is not good, the area around Pavillion, WY, (on land ceded from the Wind River Rez, but the tribes still control the mineral rights, I do believe) has gas pockets right near the surface....which is why they told that dude not to drill for water at his place and he did anyway. That's why he has gas coming out of his water pipes.

The hoopla has caused a big ruckus around Pavillion, but to be fair, the town's water and most people's water wells in the area are fine. Encana does truck in drinking water to about 3-5 people homes, but I do not think that their water is bad because of gas or fracking...all along the Big Wind River where massive irrigation is going on, the water is TERRIBLE and most are not close to gas wells. It's from the irrigating.
Hello wyo_rose!
I can't avoid posting "against" you for the first time.

After "fracking" the rock, in order to liberate the oil or gas, the condition are not at all the same as before the fracking.
When the wastewater is injected, it does not just occupies the spaces liberated by the oil or gas, by also the new space created by the fracking!

I'm totally against this activity because nobody on the earth are able to assure me that no damage is done the the ground-water etc.
IF the groundwater is affected by all the chemical added to the water, HOW can we clean it up? Is it possible to clean it up ones polluted?
The risk is for me far to high!
And in addition to this, consider the destruction of the natur. It may takes us generations to restore it!
__________________

Happiness does not come from happiness itself, but from the journey towards achieving it.
You can never be happy at the expense of the happiness of others.
GoggenGH is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Natives in Honolulu Hi Me'tis People MPPI Native Issues 38 11-10-2008 01:51 PM
Does anyone here work for a "Green" Company? Annie Fawn Chit Chat 4 08-25-2008 08:46 PM
New York Company States American Indians Supporting Intentional Terrorists Blackbear Native Issues 0 04-29-2006 06:56 AM
Another Indonesian Earthquake and maybe another Tsunami ---O_O--- Native Issues 0 03-28-2005 03:29 PM

    

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Join PowWows.com Today!

Your Guide to Native American Pow Wows Since 1996

Register For Free

Enjoy the benefits of being a member of PowWows.com!

Join our Native American online community focused on Pow Wow singing, dancing, crafts, Native American music, Native American videos, and more.

Add your Pow Wow to our Calendar

Share your photos and videos

Play games, enter contests, and much more!






New Threads

Pow Wow Calendar Search

 
Month: Year:

Location:
Facebook Profile Images

Videos

Featured Articles

Dance Styles

Crafts

Gallery