Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News Pope Benedict XVI names first American Indian Saint. Pope Benedict XVI names first American Indian Saint.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 91,150.71
Savings: 0.00
Pope Benedict XVI names first American Indian Saint.

Alyssa Newcomb - ABC News - Kateri Tekakwitha was named the first Native American saint today by Pope Benedict XVI in a ceremony held in St. Peter's Square.

Some 80,000 people came to the open-air ceremony as the 17th century Mohawk-Algonquin woman and six others were canonized.

"It's so nice to see God showing all the flavors of the world," Gene Caldwell, a Native American member of the Menominee reservation in Neopit, Wis., who attended with his wife, told the Associated Press. "The Native Americans are enthralled."

The canonization ceremony happened at the same time the world’s bishops descended on the Vatican to discuss ways to revive faith in parts of the world where it is falling by the wayside.

Among some of the select faithful who were chosen to receive communion from the pope was Jake Finkbonner.

The Washington boy was near death for months with a flesh eating bacteria, but made a miraculous recovery that the Vatican credited to Tekakwitha.

The Vatican said it believes that the prayers Finkbonner’s family directed to Tekakwitha were responsible for bringing the boy back from the brink of death.

Finkbonner cut his lip during the last minute of a Boys & Girls Club basketball game in 2006.

“I was running down court with the ball, I stopped in front of the hoop to shoot when I was pushed from behind,” Jake wrote on his website. ”I flew forward and hit my mouth on the base of the portable basketball hoop.”

Two days later, he wrote, he was in the hospital with a strep bacteria infection that had spread across his face, head and chest.

“It’s a bacteria that can cause severe infections in unusual circumstances but most of us don’t ever have any problems with it,” said Dr. Christopher Ohl, a doctor at Wake Forest Baptist Medical. “But if all of the circumstances come together and the setting is just right, it can get in through the skin and cause a severe infection.”

Ohl said the chance of survival for people with the bacteria is roughly 50-50.

At the urging of the family’s priest, the Finkbonners began praying to Tekakwitha, who converted to Christianity when she was 18 and became a fervent follower.

Her face was scarred by smallpox as a child, but it is claimed that the scars disappeared after she died in 1680 at the age of 24.

----

Original Article: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-indian-saint/

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Out of all the images coming out of the Vatican, this one disturbs me the most...
Attached Thumbnails
a01_jd_22oct_nuns-650x470.jpg  
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
I pull your leg out!

Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Oh my... that image is quite disturbing.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 92,393.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
I remember the time back in 1987 when Pope John Paul II got his first full house at mass with a crowd of 80,000 people filling ASU's Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, AZ (the ASU Sun Devil was covered with a drape).

The Vice-President of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community reminded the Pope of her people's hope that Kitara Tekakwitha would become a Saint. Tekakwitha was beatified in 1980, the first step toward Sainthood. It took 25 years for it to become reality.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #5

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 14,992.18
These native people in CA that are part of the Kateri Circle were the first natives I ever met and became very close friends with. The first thing I got put in my hands by one of my friends was a flyer about Kateri Tekakwitha in 1994. And this wonderful Lady who's the President of the Kateri Circle Powwows in Los Angeles. I lived in her house for awhile and I feel honored that she used my help for Powwow administrational work. I am glad it finally happened that Kateri's a Saint.

She's the first!

Papst Benedikt XVI. hat am Sonntag auf dem Petersplatz sieben Männer und Frauen heiliggesprochen, darunter die bayerische Mystikerin Anna Schäffer (1882- 1925) und als erste Indianerin die Nordamerikanerin Kateri Tekakwitha (1656- 1680).

Last edited by Spiritflight; 10-24-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome!
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
On The Rocks

AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Kateri Mini Pow Wow

SUNDAY OCTOBER 28, 2012 in BURBANK, CALIFORNIA

Saginaw Grant > AmigoNonProfitFilms

Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church 3801 Scott Rd. Burbank CA 91504

Join us in Burbank, CA for the Celebration of the Canonization of Kateri Tekakwitha

10:30 AM Mass in her honor followed by a Mini Pow Wow

12: noon to 6:00PM
Hosted By: City of Angels Kateri & 4 Kateri Circle
MC: Ben Hale

Host Drum: Hale & Co.

All Dancers Welcome

Native American Vendors, Native American Food Booths, Information Table

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Pow Wow and Vendor Information please contact:
Eva Walters: (626) 334-1140
JoAnn Semon (626) 441-0836

"Please come and support this pow wow so that we will have another next year"
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Oh my... that image is quite disturbing.
Yes.

But it is hard for me to believe a devout Catholic nun meant disrespect...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
I pull your leg out!

The other fact that we often ignore is that we can't expect people overseas to know much, if at all, about native people from the Americas. They really only know what they see from Hollywood exports and Halloween costumes.

Similar thing applies to people here who think that people in Ireland drink a lot - not as true as Hollywood and TV would have us believe.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
On The Rocks

AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Irish people drink a lot?

Not unless somebody else is buying
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #11

When I was young and in Ireland with my irish friends, they always bought me a drink, even if I didn't feel like having any and yes they like the Ale naturally I am not a fan of alcohol.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Yes.

But it is hard for me to believe a devout Catholic nun meant disrespect...
Yes of course, because the church and its followers are always above reproach. IIRC, only the Holy See is considered infallible.

While I commented that the image disturbed me, I did not use the word disrespect. What disturbs me about this particular image is that it was the image picked up by the mainstream reporting agencies. While there were other photos of First Nation people in their regalia and street clothes, none of those were picked up as the lead photo.

The mere instance that a nun chose to don a dollar store headdress while attending the installation of a saint, is just a sad reflection that to many non-Indian people they don't really know a whole heap about us. That also disturbs. me.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Yes of course, because the church and its followers are always above reproach. IIRC, only the Holy See is considered infallible.

While I commented that the image disturbed me, I did not use the word disrespect. What disturbs me about this particular image is that it was the image picked up by the mainstream reporting agencies. While there were other photos of First Nation people in their regalia and street clothes, none of those were picked up as the lead photo.

The mere instance that a nun chose to don a dollar store headdress while attending the installation of a saint, is just a sad reflection that to many non-Indian people they don't really know a whole heap about us. That also disturbs. me.
Right
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yes of course, because the church and its followers are always above reproach.
I get your point but consider it much more likely, for the individually faithed, that ignorance is present versus systematic attempts to specifically undermine Natives.

Quote:
Ah, we ARE on the same wavelength but I don't consider it the nun's fault.

I consider it ours.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,766.96
that is really weak zeke

c'mon u can do better than that....
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
that is really weak zeke
Pointing out that, at this point, any issue with our social identification is our responsibility to impact is weak?

I am not aware how but am always prepared to listen...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #17

Live tha life - live your culture - take pride in it - be aware of what else is going on in the world - nobody has the right to belittle and disrespect natives - don't let anything wear you down - people get many ideas of what natives are like - just keep on being yourself - just my thoughts - keep what is your's in heart and mind with love understanding awareness and never think you are worthless just because so many may want to think that way - stay away from drugs and alcohol - sorry if that what I just wrote was not right of me to say - I am a friend.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Pointing out that, at this point, any issue with our social identification is our responsibility to impact is weak?

I am not aware how but am always prepared to listen...
Basic consideration and respect for a certain background is everyone's responsibility. Any person (with the exception of elected officials, public or community leaders) should not be responsible for the wrong actions of another.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
Basic consideration and respect for a certain background is everyone's responsibility. Any person (with the exception of elected officials, public or community leaders) should not be responsible for the wrong actions of another.
We can't hold anyone responsible for ignorance, we can only educate.

Sum?

It's on us.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
Ugh. As. If.

we can hold people responsible for their inconsideration and disrespect. white people with this understanding should be educating clueless white people to show consideration and respect, that would be the most effective way to go about it. as shown here: http://stuffwhitepeopledo.blogspot.c...they-join.html
Sponsored Links