Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News RCMP's Report for Residential School - "We Didn't Know About the Abuse". RCMP's Report for Residential School - "We Didn't Know About the Abuse".

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
RCMP's Report for Residential School - "We Didn't Know About the Abuse".

In a 430 page report to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Halifax Nova Scotia session, the RCMP claim they were not aware of the abuse suffered by the students they rounded up to take to the schools.

The report sets out that the Mounties feel that there wasn't enough of a trust level from the First Nation children and their parents in the Mounties to talk about the abuse.

The mandate of the TRC is to write a history of the Residential School System in Canada by 2014. The RCMP's report is just one of many reports being placed in a bentwood box for the history.

Read the Story here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...mp-report.html

Do you feel the RCMP has been accurate in their report?

Health note: If you as a survivor, by reading or watching any of the videos triggers an unpleasant respond, please call the Crisis line in Canada at: 1-866-925-4419
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Last edited by yaahl; 10-30-2011 at 11:18 AM..
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Savings: 1.00
The RCMP agents certainly had collective awareness of what they were doing, but each denied his own humanity under a guise of "just following orders".

Now they are practicing "damage control" by using the government tradition of "Plausible Deniability".

I have 26 years of struggling against such behavior, much like Sysiphus, I have become an example of futility to others.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
The RCMP agents certainly had collective awareness of what they were doing, but each denied his own humanity under a guise of "just following orders".

Now they are practicing "damage control" by using the government tradition of "Plausible Deniability".

I have 26 years of struggling against such behavior, much like Sysiphus, I have become an example of futility to others.
In all the years I have worked on the Residential school issues, I have never seen one single Indian Agent held accountable for their behaviour. It was these agents that gave the names of the children to the police to round up. We see all kinds of discussions about the church responsibility but some of these agents were just as brutal and sick.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Savings: 1.00
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/29...est=latestnews

Records Show Boy Scouts Failed to Report Abuser
Published October 29, 2011 | Associated Press

Boy Scout officials in the U.S. and Canada not only failed to stop an admitted child molester in their ranks, but sometimes helped cover his tracks, according to confidential records, court files and interviews with victims and their families.

A Los Angeles Times and Canadian Broadcasting Corp. investigation published Saturday finds scout leader Rick Turley molested at least 15 children over nearly two decades, most of whom he met through American and Canadian Scouting beginning in the 1970s.

Boy Scouts of America officials didn't call police in 1979 after Turley acknowledged molesting three Orange County boys, records show.

"You do not want to broadcast to the entire population that these things happen," A. Buford Hill Jr., a former Orange County Scouting executive, said of officials' decision not to contact authorities. "You take care of it quietly and make sure it never happens again."

It happened again. Turley returned to his native Canada, where he signed on with Scouts Canada, and continued his abuses for at least a decade.

"It was easy," he said in an interview with the CBC, adding that he has learned to control his impulses.

Turley was sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted in 1996 of five counts of molesting children. Paroled in 2000, he was later caught trying to draw two pre-teen boys into a relationship and sent back to prison. He was released two years later.

Turley is one of more than 5,000 suspected child molesters named in confidential documents kept by the Boy Scouts of America. The records -- called the "perversion files" by the Scouts -- include admissions of guilt as well as unproven allegations.

Those files have come to light in recent years in lawsuits by former Scouts, accusing the group of failing to detect abuses, exclude known pedophiles, or turn in offenders to authorities.

The Oregon Supreme Court is now weighing a request by newspapers, a wire service and broadcasters to open about 1,200 more files in the wake of a nearly $20-million judgment in a Portland sex abuse case last year.

The Scouts' handling of sex-abuse allegations is similar to that of the Catholic Church in the face of accusations against its priests, some attorneys told the Times and the CBC.

"It's the same institutional reaction: scandal prevention," said Seattle attorney Timothy Kosnoff, who has filed seven suits in the last year by former Scouts.

Current Boy Scouts of America officials declined to be interviewed and would not say how many files exist or what is in them. Their lawyers have said the records are confidential, to protect victims and because some of the files are based on unsubstantiated tips.

"The BSA has continued to enhance its youth protection efforts as society has increased its understanding of the dangers children face," the Scouts said in a statement
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Kanien'kehá ka

Items TreeChange User Title49 AccessShark
KewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond repute
KewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond reputeKewlMohawkGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 6,073.21
Savings: 2.00
When they first announced the TRC I was optimistic and almost ready to support their initiatives until I started to dig a little deeper and realized that they were asking people to tell their deepest, darkest secrets but the perps would not be held accountable. From that moment on I felt it was a big expensive farce and kind of like RCAP that will sit on the dusty shelves in Ottawa and not be fully implemented. I can just imagine the RCMP's full report...something tells me it will be a whole lot of deflection. Why would so many children constantly run away if it was a safe place. Perhaps, if they took off their blinders of racism the reality would have been pretty clear.

Yaahl, have you heard about the work going on at the Mush Hole in Brantford?
KewlMohawkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlMohawkGirl View Post
When they first announced the TRC I was optimistic and almost ready to support their initiatives until I started to dig a little deeper and realized that they were asking people to tell their deepest, darkest secrets but the perps would not be held accountable. From that moment on I felt it was a big expensive farce and kind of like RCAP that will sit on the dusty shelves in Ottawa and not be fully implemented. I can just imagine the RCMP's full report...something tells me it will be a whole lot of deflection. Why would so many children constantly run away if it was a safe place. Perhaps, if they took off their blinders of racism the reality would have been pretty clear.

Yaahl, have you heard about the work going on at the Mush Hole in Brantford?
Is that the exhibit by Gary Miller? It always kind of freaked me out that the woodland cultural centre was on the site of the old residential school. So mamy FN had/still to use the buildings that once housed these schools. Lower Post school was the one my parents and grandparents went. After they turned 12, they were all sent to Whitehorse's Yukon Hall school until 17.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,625.62
I don't know what to say, except this does not surprise me. My Grandfather and other kids from his village were taken to a school also, because the "officials" said they had adult family members who were Dog Soldiers. It's still hard for me to imagine being snatched from your family and forced into a totally alien way of life.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
For toooooo many decades this was a given, not only here but any where the queen had territories,,, conquest of the people first, then separation and education. NO matter what the price run the gauntlet and instil fear and cringing into the very hearts... why?? Domination by her/his majesty. The Church was no better with their fathers instilling the wrath and fear of GOD.... wait a minute,,, I thought GOD was a loving person and forgiving... so why did the Church promote fear of GOD????
SUCKSSSS well now we get the appologies that are first off,,, way tooooo late, the damage has been done world wide to generations or people and second those scars will never go away. Scars show like warrior feathers, in plain sight yet no one sees them, they get ignored and forgotten. It will take 7 generations to really and trully heal that wound. The main thing here is that we need to realize and start the healing,,, make it happen before another 7 generations go through the same treatment.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links