Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By yaahl
  • 3 Post By yaahl

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News RIP Edmond Harjo... RIP Edmond Harjo...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
MoonWoman has a reputation beyond repute
MoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,037.41
Savings: 0.00
RIP Edmond Harjo...

One Of The Last Native American Code Talkers Dies

Passed at the ripe age of 96. It's a shame he didn't have children. I am curious about what is referred to as "Code talkers". I think the term was originally a reference to any peoples in the service at the time who spoke an obscure language that was used as an advantage in the wars? And now is mostly if not all a reference to Native Americans? Is that right? What confuses me is 1) Is there one specific native language that was used exclusively during the wars? and 2) They refer to him as one the last "code talkers". Is that to mean he is one of the last surviving soldiers to have been a code talker in the wars? Or are they saying that he is one of the last Native Americans to still speaks the language? This is something that has always bothered me, because you will hear people say that Native American languages are "dying languages" and while, obviously, they are obscure because the NA population is small, I know that the languages are still being taught and spoken, at least to some degree. Is anyone able to clarify?
MoonWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Google is your friend... NMAI Codetalkers
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

MoonWoman has a reputation beyond repute
MoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,037.41
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Google is your friend... NMAI Codetalkers

Hah! Thank you... that's actually pretty awesome. But, still.. the question remains as to whether people are referring to "one of the last" native speakers, or "one of the last" native speakers who serverd in the wars... ? I guess I should assume the latter. "Code Talker" would refer more to the service they provided during the wars than the language itself.
MoonWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
There are many of us that still speak our languages. I speak all three of mine and additional dialects. The referral is to the last of the Codetalkers not speakers.

Here is a link (again google is your friend) that sets out how many native speakers there are in Canada... the US, Russia, Greenland and Scandinavians will have their own stats of speakers. Native Peoples and Languages | Site for Language Management in Canada (SLMC) ? Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI)
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
hopiwmn

hopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scalehopiwmn is off the scale
Credits: 492.00
Re: Code Talkers

The Dine were the "Code Talkers" in the 2nd World War. They were chosen because the Dine (Navajo) language was undecipherable to the Germans (and the other enemy factions).
I hope this helps. I'm sure you can Google "code talkers" to get more information if you need it.

hopiwmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWoman View Post
One Of The Last Native American Code Talkers Dies

Passed at the ripe age of 96. It's a shame he didn't have children. I am curious about what is referred to as "Code talkers". I think the term was originally a reference to any peoples in the service at the time who spoke an obscure language that was used as an advantage in the wars? And now is mostly if not all a reference to Native Americans? Is that right? What confuses me is 1) Is there one specific native language that was used exclusively during the wars? and 2) They refer to him as one the last "code talkers". Is that to mean he is one of the last surviving soldiers to have been a code talker in the wars? Or are they saying that he is one of the last Native Americans to still speaks the language? This is something that has always bothered me, because you will hear people say that Native American languages are "dying languages" and while, obviously, they are obscure because the NA population is small, I know that the languages are still being taught and spoken, at least to some degree. Is anyone able to clarify?
hopiwmn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links