Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News WTF - It"s OK to rape a native child if they were from an abusive home? WTF - It"s OK to rape a native child if they were from an abusive home?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Seeker of Social Justice

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scale
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Angry WTF - It"s OK to rape a native child if they were from an abusive home?

Last Updated Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:25:36 EDT
CBC News

REGINA - "The Saskatchewan Court of Appeal has upheld the conditional sentence of a man found guilty of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl but has rejected adding more time to his controversial sentence.

Dean Edmondson had received a conditional sentence of two years' house arrest in 2003 for the assault on the girl, meaning he did not have to serve time in jail.

In originally sentencing Edmondson, Justice Fred Kovach said he couldn't ignore allegations the girl had been raised in an abusive home. That evidence, he said, supported the defence theory that the girl was the sexual aggressor.

In Wednesday's ruling, the Court of Appeal said the trial judge should have sent Edmondson to jail, but it wouldn't make sense to lock him up now.

The case has long been plagued with accusations of racism – the girl is aboriginal and the man is white. Family members of the victim and interest groups were outraged over Edmondson's sentence.

The 12-year-old Cree girl had been picked up near the town of Tisdale, Sask. She was given beer and later assaulted on a desolate country road. Two of Edmondson's friends were also charged but were acquitted. The Court of Appeal ordered a new trial for them."
LoneWolfBunn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
I thought we had a messed up legal system in the US.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
we know this story well here in saskatchewan - the roar from saskatchewan native groups was LOUD and the re-trial was ordered for all three.

this poor lil girl - doesn't everyone know that children from sexually abusive homes are often "over sexualized" and don't know how to show affection to others in a proper way (to say SHE was the aggressor) without being sexual. they don't know any other way becuz more often than not the predator is telling the child "i love you" while or before the abuse ...

my sister used to care for a child who was three at the time who was sexually abused and she didn't know how to play properly with other children. i could remember soo many times when she would "dry hump" my daughter who was also the same age when they were playing. or she would cuddle "suggestively" with my nephews and father. we just told her "not to do that" and pulled her away - she learned soon enough that that kind of behaviour was not acceptable ...

but i do hope that she gets a fair trial this next time around
Old 01-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Seeker of Social Justice

LoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scale
Things like this often are kept low key by the media.

This should have made national headlines, but I suppose they would claim that it was kept low key for the sake of the child. Personally I think they didn't want the world to be aware of the difference in treatment between First Nations and caucasians.
There is no doubt in my mind that if this had been a white girl there would have been an uproar nation wide.

I live only one province away and I didn't hear a thing about this.
I found the article on a very inactive forum.
Because any of us here will likely hear nothing about this unless we read Saskatchewan papers, please post the results of their trials.
If there is anything other than proper justice brought against these child molestors - I will do everything I can to bring international attention to Canada's shameful judicial system.

Is anyone making sure that at least APTN will have their cameras on these pedophiles as they enter the court room?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfBunn
This should have made national headlines, but I suppose they would claim that it was kept low key for the sake of the child. Personally I think they didn't want the world to be aware of the difference in treatment between First Nations and caucasians.
There is no doubt in my mind that if this had been a white girl there would have been an uproar nation wide.

I live only one province away and I didn't hear a thing about this.
I found the article on a very inactive forum.
Because any of us here will likely hear nothing about this unless we read Saskatchewan papers, please post the results of their trials.
If there is anything other than proper justice brought against these child molestors - I will do everything I can to bring international attention to Canada's shameful judicial system.

Is anyone making sure that at least APTN will have their cameras on these pedophiles as they enter the court room?
while it would be great to identify the pedophiles who are responsible by having tv cameras at teh court house there are laws that protect victims from being exposed and I think that this needs to be about the victim even though the sentence obviously doesn't reflect that. They wouldn't have exposed they offender if the victim was white either. In fact I am suprised that with the way that the system (especially in Sask) treat native people that they didn't expose the offender and the victim. While it happens all over the cops and courts in that area of the country seem to be more racistthan is the case in most areas.
crazydazy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
We Are One

Pirate has a spectacular aura about
Another Thought

It would appear that the Judge in the case should be given two years
house arrest too, in the same house as the offender, while we are
at it, lets put the District Attorney in there with them too.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
Seeker of Social Justice

http://www.talkon.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1964

Top court won't hear case of man spared jail for sex assault of native girl

Canadian Press

October 20, 2005

"OTTAWA (CP) - Canada's top court will not reconsider the case of a Saskatchewan man who sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl but was not sent to prison.

The Supreme Court of Canada dismissed the Crown's bid to appeal the lower court ruling. No reasons were offered. Dean Edmondson was convicted of sexual assault after he and two other men picked up the young Cree girl in 2001.

The men offered her several beers before attempting to have sex with her.

Native people accused Judge Fred Kovach of racism when he sentenced Edmondson to two years of house arrest. The two other men face new trials next year.

The judge said the crime usually means jail time, but said the girl could have been the sexual aggressor because of an abusive upbringing..."

And surprise surprise... the rest of the article is no longer available online in fact the entire article isn't available.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
Seeker of Social Justice

Here is a reply on this subject by some redneck as#hole. If there are people who would like to join the talkon.ca forum and put this guy and others like him in his place it would be appreciated.

Posted by Les-And
http://www.talkon.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1964

"Why does this come up only when a "native" is the victim. This sort of garbage happens to women of all races every day but does not make the national news.

And you forgot to add that this girl had been raised within the native community's well engrained sexual abuse system for most of her life. Why are these abusers not being charged???????

When this sort of thing makes the national news it usually does smell of racial targeting. Usually however, the full extent of the story is rarely told. If you have ever lived near an Indian reserve, you would soon be tuned into what actually goes on all over that reserve. So, when these youngsters make it into the outside world, they carry this way of life with them.

It may be a little more prudent to get into the background of this girl's up bringing and start there. Of course the native community does not want to do that. Sometimes the truth is tougher to swallow than the remedy.

Were these men guilty of assaulting a minor? Without a doubt and should be delt with accordingly. However, don't nail one guy because he is white but let all the previous abusers go without being delt with because they are native.

I still live with the conviction that all of Canada’s native reserve system should be done away with."

"Furthermore, my wife worked for more than thirty years for the social welfare system in BC and worked 90% of that time with the native community. She can tell you stories of eight and nine year old girls being passed around at parties, the parents knew of the ongoings but did absolutley nothing to stop it: even though it was their own flesh and blood, family's little girls. Whenever my wife attempted to step in to bring the law into the picture. she would hit a stonewall of resistance from the band leaders as well as the parents. "We will look after our own".

Even the government is powerless to step in and do anything about it. So, who is to blame???????????????????

This topic really pisses me off because the natives have it in their power to stop all this bull **** but flatly refuses to recognize the issue as an inner community problem. It's so much easier to blame someone else."
Old 03-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
it is sad to admit that there IS this mentality on most reserves ... take the case of a local north battleford area chief who was recently arrested during a chief's assembly in saskatoon. he was allegedly sexually abusing his niece for years - since she was 12 or so and now is 21/22. she finally got the courage to tell someone after he recently raped her again .. she went to the police and laid formal charges. what did his wife go and do? went to her house and beat her down. what kind of picture is that painting for the children who are being abused? if i tell someone .. someone's going to beat me up? anyways she laid assault charges on her aunt for beating her up and now the couple is BOTH going to be in court ...

no one wants to admit it but this is happening ... just that so-called "redneck" brought it up is all. there are men out there both native and white, or green for that matter - that consider native women as nothing. it's hard to come across a native woman out there that hasn't been in a situation where some man has said something to them or thought "hey i can fak her - she's nothing" it may be one of the reasons WHY there are sooo many missing native girls/women out there. and these men probably thought the same thing of this 12 year old girl ...

but no one "deserves" to be raped no matter the circumstances ... if i go out one evening and "dress up" does that give the right to someone to rape me? if i was sexually abused as a child does that give the right to any man to rape me? no ...
Old 03-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Seeker of Social Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff
it is sad to admit that there IS this mentality on most reserves ... take the case of a local north battleford area chief who was recently arrested during a chief's assembly in saskatoon. he was allegedly sexually abusing his niece for years - since she was 12 or so and now is 21/22. she finally got the courage to tell someone after he recently raped her again .. she went to the police and laid formal charges. what did his wife go and do? went to her house and beat her down. what kind of picture is that painting for the children who are being abused? if i tell someone .. someone's going to beat me up? anyways she laid assault charges on her aunt for beating her up and now the couple is BOTH going to be in court ...

no one wants to admit it but this is happening ... just that so-called "redneck" brought it up is all. there are men out there both native and white, or green for that matter - that consider native women as nothing. it's hard to come across a native woman out there that hasn't been in a situation where some man has said something to them or thought "hey i can fak her - she's nothing" it may be one of the reasons WHY there are sooo many missing native girls/women out there. and these men probably thought the same thing of this 12 year old girl ...

but no one "deserves" to be raped no matter the circumstances ... if i go out one evening and "dress up" does that give the right to someone to rape me? if i was sexually abused as a child does that give the right to any man to rape me? no ...
I don't agree that this is common on most reserves.

I'm sure Les-And would love to hear you say that though. It would give him the more fuel to continue his condemning native people.
He would say, "Even this 'senior dancer' named Chazzif said I was right!"
Old 03-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
is waiting ....

we should be condemned for "letting" it happen .. all these "old school" leaders saying or giving out the message "you don't talk about things like that" "just keep it quiet and it'll go away"

i just recently started working in the icfs "industry" myself - this sort of stuff happens EVERYDAY to young native women and i'm sure young women of any race - and it's just not only white men/native girls - its native men/native girls. we need to be saying more and saying it loud. that'll be the only way its going to be stopped.

that girls prior abusers SHOULD have been brought up on charges too - i don't really know why they werent. maybe it wasn't reported right away - which is most often the case in most sexual abuse cases - the police/prosecutors are less likely to bring charges up against the abuser(s) as more and more time passes.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #12
Seeker of Social Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff
we should be condemned for "letting" it happen .. all these "old school" leaders saying or giving out the message "you don't talk about things like that" "just keep it quiet and it'll go away"

...we need to be saying more and saying it loud. that'll be the only way its going to be stopped.

that girls prior abusers SHOULD have been brought up on charges too - i don't really know why they werent. maybe it wasn't reported right away - which is most often the case in most sexual abuse cases - the police/prosecutors are less likely to bring charges up against the abuser(s) as more and more time passes.

You may have a point. People seem to be staying pretty quiet... especially here.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
is waiting ....

maybe if that young girl got the breaks she was entitled to get ... she wouldn't have been outside that bar. she SHOULD have been at safe, healthy home .. warm and loved. all i can say "the ball was dropped" for her ... and it is dropped for sooo many young native people out there ...

the young ppl who are being abused need their voices heard and we need to LISTEN and ACT when you hear that voice ... because it does take alot of courage to speak out
Old 03-30-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Sexual agressor or not... A grown man should know how to act responsibly and appropriately! 12 is not a woman and sexual agression does'nt mean you have to oblige or take advantage. Sicko!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:56 AM   #15
=yum yum=

jellytot is an unknown quantity at this point
some people can be so cruel...I don't even know what to reply to this just reading it has shocked me so much!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #16
Quality Taco Inspector

Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 727.00
I still think the penis should be chopped off.
Alot of native and non-native men need to be de-penised
Old 09-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
Reddish-Brown Kid

MixedIndian has a reputation beyond repute
MixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond reputeMixedIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 90.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gache
Alot of native and non-native men need to be de-penised
I agree!! I have no mercy for these type of men.
MixedIndian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #18
Two by two....

NightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond reputeNightshadeTea has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gache
Sweet, somebody else who thinks the punishment for rape should be castrastion!

Actually, I go with the 'three strikes' law: first strike = 1 testicle, second strike = second teste, and the third strike = it all goes. No painkillers during the process, either. They get to feel it all.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
my mini me

ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 190.81
I am at a loss of words.
ndldy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #20
Powwow Up!!

Sweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond reputeSweetsage02 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,913.85
I too am at a loss for words...
Sweetsage02 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links