Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Head Staff First time as head lady First time as head lady

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Savings: 0.00
Sounds like a great giveaway. I do medicines, prayer ties, tobacco seed (when I got them), cornbread, strawberries, material, beads and dollar store toys for kids. Markers, crayons, bouncy balls and glowsticks arw the best pick from a dollar store. Second hand books, some bandanas and socks. I like givin out berries and cornbread it gives a little pickme up and is personal...and my husband makes great cornbread.
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #22
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
You might try a search online for the Oriental Trading Post.........they have bags of toys or goodies that can be thrown out rather than candy for the kiddo's.
For vets we fix up paper bags of snack items and some bottled water or fruit drink boxes and handkerchiefs......then call all the vets up and give them a bag of goodies.
For head staff I usually make beaded scalp feathers, my bud OL Chemist made some awesome beaded belt buckles for me to give to the men.
For women I made shawls and bags of snack items or hair barrettes or pony tail bands.......OL Chemist made beaded hair barrettes for the ladies and gave to me to give them. She was awesome in helping me make giveaway items and keeping me focused during the last time I was head lady........when ever she is called upon to be a head lady or wants to have a giveaway, I'll do the same for her for sure. (many thanks, girlfriend!)
I usually make up some bags with just misc. snack items and maybe a hand towel or kitchen towel, in case I need extra give away items. I just would buy a little bit at a time and get it all gathered up.......buy blankets that are on sale during the year. Then the weekend before the pow wow we get it all organized and sacked up.
You'll be amazed at how much you can get if you just buy and make it a little bit at a time. That's why it's so great that they are giving you several months notice to prepare.
It helps also to have someone around during the pow wow that can be your eyes and ears and keep you directed to where you need to be and what you need to be doing.
Make sure you get some good rest before the pow wow because once at the pow wow you'll be busy.......and eat some good food......keep healthful snacks and water available.
Just be the best head lady you can.........be there on time, be courteous and be willing to represent your family and nation to the best of your ability and have a great time!! Best Wishes!!
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #23
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,002.15
I was taught to dance the first 4 songs during the gourd dance and also the 4 songs before the dinner. Also the first 4 after dinner and the last 4 song to close the gourd dance. I am not sure about starting the dancing for another style, because I was told not to do so, but for all the inter-tribal, specials, blanket, etc, it was expected of me to dance.
Also to be there on time..not when the gourd dancing started, about an hour before, to talk to MC when it is a good time to have the giveaway, to let him know who will be talking for you, etc. Also to let the head singer know what song you want for your special. I also was taught to give a food basket to an Elder. ( find some one at the powwow that day this is a way that you thank him/her.)
I know there are alot of different ways to do this, depending on location, most important keep that face smiling when your feet is killing you..
Hope you will have a great time
Sunktaki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links