Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Head Staff Gifts???? Gifts????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
AKA...Falling Leaves

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Gifts????

When you are asked to be a head dancer do you make gifts for the people that come out and dance with you??? Do you let the committee supply gifts for the dancers????

We make prayer/smudge bundles (sage, tabacco, sweet grass,and cedar tied up in cloth with a feather) with beaded ties for the dancers, and an assortment of gifts for the children that dance.

Any ideas for gifts??

I have noticed that head staff gifting seems to take place less and less over the past few years. What are you thoughts on this??

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
steelemagnolia63 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
we do the same, little bundles of medicine and also strawberries. Some also give cornbread. I do little gifts for the kids for a special but for head dancing I do beads (lardger for little kids), rattles for babies or if my husband made cornbread for me to take then I get timbits for the kids. I have only head danced the local childrens powwow, but I'm young yet...
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
I was only a head dancer once, but we do feasts or you could do a private gifting as well. I've seen it many different ways. But when my son danced for the first time I had brought all kinds of produce and cases of stuff and my friend and I fed all the campers around us and the Vets and anyone who showed up to eat. And then I went and gave cases of produce to each of the drums and left a couple of cases of like apples and banana's for the dancers as well. These are just some things that can be done and that's what we do.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
Down here the norm seems to be for head staff to do small giveaways for key folks (drums, committees, vets, etc...) I have only seen a few have something for all comers, and it is usually a big blanket of stuff (socks, small toys, duct tape and so forth)

We had one committee tell us that we shouldn't do a giveaway and that they would take care of it. We did one anyways we just did it low key.

I am thinking about putting together a dance bag emergency kit to give out to people- some elastic hair ties, comb, kleenex, sewing kit, duct tape, shoe laces, safety pins etc... all in a nice little cloth bag.

As for things for kids, two requests- nothing that makes noise, and nothing sticky, worse yet the combination of the two.... yuckkee
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
noise I can handle, my kids are noisey enough to drown out the sounds of the toys. Sticky I don't like unless I am aware of it, then I can keep an eye on it and clean em up. Food that stains, I hate...like grape drink. Off topic it,s cause of this that I don't allow my kids to have ketchup or mustard until the powwow is over.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Is it your first time to be on head staff? Then it should be a little more elaborate
In okieland at typical powwow it is customary for Headgourd Dancer, Headman, Headlady and Headsinger to only do giveaways
Of course there are specials when somebody wants to acknowledge a special event such as coming back in the arena after being out for a year
Or a graduation

When I was on headstaff my list consisted of HeadLady HeadMan, AD, MC and princesses in attendance also I giveaway to certain people that helped me along the way.
Gifts usually are Pendleton's, Blankets, gift baskets such as makeup, grocery basket, tobacco and water for the drum, cough drops lemon flavored of course
gas cards, money is always welcome. I have received a dance stick, Pendleton's and Fleece Blankets, wash cloths with a design on them, Pillows, a horse (just kidding)
I did see a horse given away a few years back South of Carnegie way.
Gift baskets with goodies in them.
Those little baskets that you can get at Dollar General are great I usually have 4 or 5 made up cause you never know
:LOL:

Last edited by Josiah; 04-25-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: spelling
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
AKA...Falling Leaves

steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
No this isn't our first turn.... I was just wondering if anyone does give gifts? We did a give away for our first time, but we still make small gifts for the dancers and the kiddies that are there. So anyone that comes and dances with us gets a small token of our thanks.

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
No this isn't our first turn.... I was just wondering if anyone does give gifts? We did a give away for our first time, but we still make small gifts for the dancers and the kiddies that are there. So anyone that comes and dances with us gets a small token of our thanks.
Do you mean on top of your giveaway????
Or in place of a formal giveaway??

I have been to a few dances where the committee says Giveaways are not neccessary
And still some of the head staff will have one its just proper and correct to have one...

As for small gifts for dancers and kiddies, do you not want to take up alot of time during the dance???
In that case its fine to go around passing the gifts out on the side and not interrupt the dance
Usually these would be small bundles of goodies
Small Towels rolled up
Or cold wet wash clothes rolled up and kept in a cooler is a nice one to give on a hot summer day and gets the dust off

I have recieved a flag pin being a veteran they are fairly inexpensive at dollar general
Have also recieved a bag of mescal beans
Navy Hankerchief
Ballcaps
These are gifts that they called up certain peoples such as gourd dancers or veterans

Suggestions
Baggie full of:
Nuts or
Crackers or
Mints or
Road mix

Maybe a stick of gum
LOL just kidding
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
AKA...Falling Leaves

We do it through out the day one of us will slip around with our basket of goodies... and right after the colors are pulled.... Jim and I don't allow many things to disrupt the dancing.... Most of the time it's pretty hot and I don't want to hold the dancers any longer swaying in the hot sun than is necessary.... but before the weekend is over everyone that dances with us gets a gift from us...and a lot of the time one of the drums is hanging at our campsite waiting for Jim's famous ribs or his venison sausages, they are like a pack of wild dogs....

We don't do the big give away anymore, we head dance to many to do big give aways and most of the dances that we do are for fund raising powwows, so we either won't take any money for them or what we are given goes back in to the fund for the charity.....

Your ideas are good ones. I think that some of them will find their way in to the basket of gifts.... for this years dancing....

NO GUM!!! I am still somewhat miffed about gun from the candy dance at one event last year ending up on the back of my 'skins....

Last edited by steelemagnolia63; 04-25-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
Senior Dancer

candy dance? Haven't seen this. Don't want my kids to, but i'd like some :)

Josiah I love the idea of a cold wet cloth!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
AKA...Falling Leaves

Suzz they are very popular here for the kids, it is normally done just before the afternoon break half way between grand entry and pulling the colors... we throw candy all over the the place and invite the kids in to dance, give them all a paper bag to put their candy in, when the drum plays you dance when the drum stops you pick up all the candy that you can until all the candy is picked up...

I had not seen one before I moved to PA, and I had been away from dancing for about 10 years then .... So I don't know if they do it everywhere or not.

Isn't the cold cloths idea one of the best that you have ever heard??? I put a ziplock of baby wipes in our cooler, I started last summer when I got the idea from one of the drums at a gathering.....but I am going to invest in some cheap wash cloths for gifting cool rags to dancers.....

Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Senior Dancer

love the cool cloths. I'm allergic to baby wipes so I keep wet cloths in my diaper bag for cleaning up the baby. And last summer kept one for keeping the baby cool but apperently I'm to daft to make the leap and keep them for everyone
Up early this morning steele?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Senior Dancer

oh yeah, the candy dance sounds fun...terrible idea (from the mommy perspective) but fun. Maybe I'll host one at the local powwow this year.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
AKA...Falling Leaves

up way early trying to get a hunter's frock coat finished and finish fringing my new shawl too....

I love the candy dance.. I love watching the kids get involved with the dancing... especially the little ones...

Just buy the big bags of assorted candies.... and the lunch bag size paper bags at the closest dollar store and viola you got yourself a candy dance and a lot of fun....

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

ojibwakwe is just really nice
I have seen head dancers do giveaways, specials, spot dances. I think it depends on what the head dancer prefers. No matter what way you do it, somehow you are still giving back to the powwow.
ojibwakwe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
pow-wow gear central!

tribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond repute
giveaway

I think probably Josiah and I will have similar teachings about this. I was taught that when you're head staff or any time you have been given an honor, you then share in that blessing by having giveaway. I think it depends on your family and how you were taught but I was always taught to give what you have. I was also taught that you don't give to family; blood or adopted, during the formal giveaway but reserve that for a private time.

I try and give privately to folks that have come out to support me, including family. Last time I was head staff I made arrangements to provide the Friday evening meal, since they weren't going to feed that day. My family put on a feed in my uncle's honor who paid my way in when I was young. I was also taught there are certain things you always give. Pendletons are always good, tobacco for the drum and singers, we always include food baskets and shawls as well as take things out to the drum throughout the dance, such as cough drops, drinks, etc....
Also some tribes have giveaway out through the camps, such as the Quapaw, then just have a small giveaway in the arena.

Again, I think it just depends on how you were taught, where you are, and the honor given to your family or the purpose of the gifting. Just my two cents.
tribaltagz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links