Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Daveyo
  • 6 Post By DeafElderWoman
  • 4 Post By milehighsalute
  • 5 Post By Chevy_truckin_NDN
  • 1 Post By Ndnsoldierboy
  • 1 Post By WhoMe

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Head Staff Last Navajo Code talker dies Last Navajo Code talker dies

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Daveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scale
Credits: 374.57
Savings: 0.00
Last Navajo Code talker dies

Just saw on the news, this evening that Mr. Nez the last surviving Navajo code talker passed away.

That video showing him being honored at the GON recently, will be the last I believe anyone will see him alive walking with his cane.

Thank you Mr. Nez for your bravery, and I salute you and pray that the Great Spirit bless you and give you rest and peace.

RIP
LISA IRONMAKER likes this.
Daveyo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Powwow Grandmother

DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,566.41
(CNN) -- For more than two decades, Chester Nez kept silent about his role as one of the original Navajo code talkers responsible for developing an unbreakable code during World War II.

His death Wednesday at his home in Albuquerque, New Mexico, at age 93 was lamented by the Marine Corps as the end of an era -- for both the country and its armed forces.

"We mourn his passing but honor and celebrate the indomitable spirit and dedication of those Marines who became known as the Navajo code talkers," the Marines said in a statement.

Nez was the last remaining of the original 29 Navajos recruited by the Marine Corps to develop the legendary code that was used for vital communications during battle.
Last original Navajo code talker of WWII Last original Navajo code talker of WWII
Photos: People we lost in 2014 Photos: People we lost in 2014

He was a teenager when he was recruited in 1942 and assigned with the other code talkers to the Marine Corps' 382nd Platoon at Camp Pendleton.

Together, they created a code, including developing a dictionary.

Military authorities chose Navajo as a code language because its syntax and tonal qualities were almost impossible for a non-Navajo to learn, and it had no written form. The ranks of the Navajo code talkers swelled to more than 300 by the end of the war in 1945.

The code talkers were forbidden from telling anyone about it -- not their fellow Marines, not their families -- until their work was declassified in 1968. The original 29 were presented with the Congressional Gold Medal in 2001 by President George W. Bush.

"In developing our code, we were careful to use everyday Navajo words, so that we could memorize and retain the words easily," Nez told CNN in 2011 while promoting his book "Code Talker."

"I think that made our job easier, and I think it helped us to be successful in the heat of battle."

Still, Nez said he worried every day that an error might cost the life of an American military service member.

Nez was among the code talkers who were shipped out to Guadalcanal in 1942, where the code talkers worked in teams of two, with one relaying and receiving messages while the other cranked the portable radio and listened for errors in transmission.

"That was my first combat experience, and there was a lot of suffering and a lot of the condition was real bad out there," he told CNN's Larry King in 2002.

Nez also fought in Guam and Peleliu.

"When bombs dropped, generally we code talkers couldn't just curl up in a shelter," Nez wrote in his book. "We were almost always needed to transmit information, to ask for supplies and ammunition, and to communicate strategies. And after each transmission, to avoid Japanese fire, we had to move."

The code talkers faced initial resistance from fellow Marines who did not understand who they were and what they were doing.

That changed once they understood the importance of the code, Nez said.

The Navajo code baffled the Japanese, who had successfuly deciphered codes used by the U.S. Army. After the war, the Japanese chief of intelligence, Lt. General Seizo Arisue, admitted they were never able to crack the Navajo code used by the Marines and Navy, according to the Navy.

Nez was discharged in 1945, but later volunteered to fight in the Korean War.

After the code talkers' exploits were declassified by the military, the group gained legendary status with books and, ultimately, a movie that was inspired by their stories.

"The recognition of the code talkers came late, but it has been good for my Navajo people. I hope that this type of recognition continues across cultures," Nez said.

The 2002 film "Windtalkers," starring Adam Beach and Nicolas Cage, followed the fictional account of two Marines assigned to protect two code talkers during the battle of Saipan.

"I could understand when they sent the message and received on the other end," Nez said. "I could understand, and I could sit there and write it down myself. I still remember it."

It was a far cry from his childhood, when he was forced to attend a boarding school and punished by the teachers for speaking Navajo, according to his book.

It's a language, though, that appears lost even to many members of his own family.

"My own children do not speak Navajo, although my daughter-in-law ... speaks it well," he said.

Nez said he decided to tell his story because he wanted to share the contributions and sacrifices of the Navajo during World War II.

"Our Navajo code was one of the most important military secrets of World War II. The fact that the Marines did not tell us Navajo men how to develop that code indicated their trust in us and in our abilities," he said.

"The feeling that I could make it in both the white world and the Navajo world began there, and it has stayed with me all of my life. For that I am grateful."

The Navajo Nation's flags have been ordered lowered in Nez's honor, President Ben Shelly said.

Rest In Peace, Chester Nez. May you walk into the long journey to the Spirit World and to meet your families and your Code Talker friends. Respect and honor in serving us in time of World War II.

Last edited by DeafElderWoman; 06-05-2014 at 03:33 AM..
DeafElderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,242.05
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafelderwoman View Post
(cnn) -- for more than two decades, chester nez kept silent about his role as one of the original navajo code talkers responsible for developing an unbreakable code during world war ii.

His death wednesday at his home in albuquerque, new mexico, at age 93 was lamented by the marine corps as the end of an era -- for both the country and its armed forces.

"we mourn his passing but honor and celebrate the indomitable spirit and dedication of those marines who became known as the navajo code talkers," the marines said in a statement.

Nez was the last remaining of the original 29 navajos recruited by the marine corps to develop the legendary code that was used for vital communications during battle.
Last original navajo code talker of wwii last original navajo code talker of wwii
photos: People we lost in 2014 photos: People we lost in 2014

he was a teenager when he was recruited in 1942 and assigned with the other code talkers to the marine corps' 382nd platoon at camp pendleton.

Together, they created a code, including developing a dictionary.

Military authorities chose navajo as a code language because its syntax and tonal qualities were almost impossible for a non-navajo to learn, and it had no written form. The ranks of the navajo code talkers swelled to more than 300 by the end of the war in 1945.

The code talkers were forbidden from telling anyone about it -- not their fellow marines, not their families -- until their work was declassified in 1968. The original 29 were presented with the congressional gold medal in 2001 by president george w. Bush.

"in developing our code, we were careful to use everyday navajo words, so that we could memorize and retain the words easily," nez told cnn in 2011 while promoting his book "code talker."

"i think that made our job easier, and i think it helped us to be successful in the heat of battle."

still, nez said he worried every day that an error might cost the life of an american military service member.

Nez was among the code talkers who were shipped out to guadalcanal in 1942, where the code talkers worked in teams of two, with one relaying and receiving messages while the other cranked the portable radio and listened for errors in transmission.

"that was my first combat experience, and there was a lot of suffering and a lot of the condition was real bad out there," he told cnn's larry king in 2002.

Nez also fought in guam and peleliu.

"when bombs dropped, generally we code talkers couldn't just curl up in a shelter," nez wrote in his book. "we were almost always needed to transmit information, to ask for supplies and ammunition, and to communicate strategies. And after each transmission, to avoid japanese fire, we had to move."

the code talkers faced initial resistance from fellow marines who did not understand who they were and what they were doing.

That changed once they understood the importance of the code, nez said.

The navajo code baffled the japanese, who had successfuly deciphered codes used by the u.s. Army. After the war, the japanese chief of intelligence, lt. General seizo arisue, admitted they were never able to crack the navajo code used by the marines and navy, according to the navy.

Nez was discharged in 1945, but later volunteered to fight in the korean war.

After the code talkers' exploits were declassified by the military, the group gained legendary status with books and, ultimately, a movie that was inspired by their stories.

"the recognition of the code talkers came late, but it has been good for my navajo people. I hope that this type of recognition continues across cultures," nez said.

The 2002 film "windtalkers," starring adam beach and nicolas cage, followed the fictional account of two marines assigned to protect two code talkers during the battle of saipan.

"i could understand when they sent the message and received on the other end," nez said. "i could understand, and i could sit there and write it down myself. I still remember it."

it was a far cry from his childhood, when he was forced to attend a boarding school and punished by the teachers for speaking navajo, according to his book.

It's a language, though, that appears lost even to many members of his own family.

"my own children do not speak navajo, although my daughter-in-law ... Speaks it well," he said.

Nez said he decided to tell his story because he wanted to share the contributions and sacrifices of the navajo during world war ii.

"our navajo code was one of the most important military secrets of world war ii. The fact that the marines did not tell us navajo men how to develop that code indicated their trust in us and in our abilities," he said.

"the feeling that i could make it in both the white world and the navajo world began there, and it has stayed with me all of my life. For that i am grateful."

the navajo nation's flags have been ordered lowered in nez's honor, president ben shelly said.

Rest in peace, chester nez. May you walk into the long journey to the spirit world and to meet your families and your code talker friends. Respect and honor in serving us in time of world war ii.
rest in peace mr nez, and thank you for your service!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
3 down and 1 to go! lol

Items SwordPresentPresent
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,926.62
Savings: 1.00
I brought my uncle to work today and he mentioned this man. Said his father in law was a code talker too. That Mr. Nez was the last one.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."
Chevy_truckin_NDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
is rockin & rollin \m/

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,397.87
Savings: 52.80
Semper Fi Marine...
windanncer likes this.

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Come on Rez Dawg, you can make it, just another step to go....
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,961.98
Happy Navajo Code Talkers Day!
Attached Thumbnails
navajo-code-talkers-day.jpg  
windanncer likes this.