Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Head Staff No veteran? No veteran?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Savings: 0.00
No veteran?

I was at a powwow and there were no dressed veteran's or veterans familiar enough with powwows to lead in the grand entry.

If a powwow has no veteran's in attendance, who do you suggest choosing to carry the American or Canadian Flag?

Why?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
Wow, I've never been to a pow wow with NO vets. But what about a male Elder or older person. Even though they weren't in the service, you know that they were alive during War time here anyway. That's the only thing that I can think of.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
I was at a powwow and there were no dressed veteran's or veterans familiar enough with powwows to lead in the grand entry.

If a powwow has no veteran's in attendance, who do you suggest choosing to carry the American or Canadian Flag?

Why?
Must not have been Oklahoma
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post

Why?
Interesting question
It is not neccessary to have a grand entry
so dont have one
Because that one carrying the flag should be a veteran
and if there is no veteran then there is no one to carry the flag in
I have heard people talk about using Police or Fireman
and I would not have a problem with them carrying local and State Flags
But for me the American Flag should be somebody that had Federal Service at a minimum

Just my two cents
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Pinewisimowin oma nina

upriver_tla is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
I only speak for myself.

The powwows I go to in Northern Mb there aren't many Veterans who are dressed for grand entry or even bear a flag. I would like to see it done much more. But they do at some powwows, more so I see this done in Saskatchewan, where they come into Grand Entry following the flags dressed in their blazers and berets. To that least amount I feel better somewhat knowing that they are not forgotten. As for who carries the flags I see other dancers carry the staffs and flags, I've been asked to carry a flag and have in Grand entry. What i 'think' the arena directors do is they honour certain groups or categories, like the chicken dancers, local elders, the youngest singer of a group, sons of veterans, in general just regular people.

But i've heard MC's mention that because many of our Veterans are aging. They are getting too tired to be flagbearers. Traditionally it was the Warriors who carried the flags. Many of the veterans I know are getting old and too tired to be flag bearers, so head staff asks younger people to help. There are MC's who talk about this, they say that since there hasn't been major wars, we've come into a new way of living, Our warriors are our providers and protectors. Today our warriors are family men, the people who speak for their tribes, buissnessmen, in these ways they are like modern day warriors who fight and speak for our people in politics, volunteering, through the power of speaking and work.

Because I hear MC's say alot that "traditionally the Veterans are the flag bearers" I made a promise to myself a few years ago that if I'm ever an arena director, the first people I will ask to carry in the flags will be the Veterans. And I will ask the veterans, or the sons of veterans.

With that, theres my say on the subject.

Last edited by upriver_tla; 06-05-2008 at 02:14 PM..
upriver_tla is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
One time, and one time only, I saw a 13 year old carry a flag. He was carrying the US Army flag, and the reason for it was that his dad was deployed to Afghanistan. This was a very small powwow.

Also when I first started dancing, there was a local college powwow that used their NROTC color guard for the grand entry. One of them was a veteran of Desert Storm, but the others hadn't been active duty yet.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
I'm not a dancer and I choose not to, (nothing wrogn with it) but I've been asked to carry the flag in quite a few times....I've even been asked to pick up a fallen feather only because no one else knew how to do it.....that was an awkward feeling......

WhoMe - Do you know what that protocol would be????

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
There is no reason that the flags and eagle staves/lances have to be born into the arena by veteran. Vets are just the most come group ask because of the service to the country. There are many groups that could be recognized and would feel honored to be ask to do this type of thing for the committee.

How about a mothers day dance that asks some local mothers to carrying in the flags. Or maybe the committee might choose to honor nurses, police officers or even fire fighters. I have seen local ROTC cadets and their color guards come to the dance in uniform to do this task. Elders might be a good choice but you have to consider their physical condition cause I have been in some arenas that had holes, rocks and were just all around uneven that might cause an elder problems.

One of my favorite ideas is a local community group might be ask to do this. Many communities have groups that bust their buns in the background of daily life helping many with little to no recognition. Bringing in the flags and being mentioned by the MC is a perfect chance to recognize their community service. After all, asking the vets is because of their service to the larger community as a whole.

Just my 2 Lincoln's on the subject

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links