Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WhoMe

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Head Staff Picking Head staff from other regions..... Picking Head staff from other regions.....

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
We'll See....

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Picking Head staff from other regions.....

I have read complaints from people about how a certain committee or headstaff did this or did that.

I think if you are hosting a powwow in a region that has strong beliefs about how a powwow should be conducted. Then it would be better for committees to pick key headstaff from their own region or community. Especially the A.D. position.

Now concerning the head judge, it might be better to not get a local. Maybe a non-local head judge will pick judges more fairly.

What do you all think?
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,159.15
Savings: 1.00
That makes sense...

As I said that makes sence ,and ive seen way tooo many times people walking away after a contest saying thatnks Cuz!Ive even seen other dancers sitting back and guessing who would place and who wouldnt and even the places just going by who is judging, I know it is not like that every where but I have seen it for myself .I have had family members who were asked to judge and if they have a relative contesting they ask not to jude that dance and they pick a person who they think would do a good job and fairly or have the comm do it. At one dance I was asked to judge the princess contest then I found out my niece was going for it so I had thanked the comm for asking me then said I could not and the reason why. She got it and I knew she would and wanted no part of people saying she got it cause I as her Aunti.
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,589.67
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
I have read complaints from people about how a certain committee or headstaff did this or did that.

I think if you are hosting a powwow in a region that has strong beliefs about how a powwow should be conducted. Then it would be better for committees to pick key headstaff from their own region or community. Especially the A.D. position.

Now concerning the head judge, it might be better to not get a local. Maybe a non-local head judge will pick judges more fairly.

What do you all think?

Kiyaanii,

The best case scenario (aye*) would be to hire an arena director who is familiar with many regional protocols, knows both contemporary and traditional powwow ways and MOST IMPORTANTLY is able to fulfill the wishes of the committee - by following directions.

For a head judge . . . *L it's a no-win-situation. There are consequences to both a local head judge and nonlocal head judge. It also depends on the individual on how fair he/she is in his/her decision making process. On this one, just remember people will talk no' matta' what the outcome!

I know you didn't ask about emcees', but at least hire one that doesn't "butcher" the local last name's of all the winners!
LISA IRONMAKER likes this.

Last edited by WhoMe; 03-23-2006 at 01:22 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Pushtay Hill is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Outside Head Staff

I think... Our tribal gatherings have always been conducted by our own local people,but we have brought in people that don't live on our rez but that are knowledgeable in our ways that are the same,religiously,socially and culturally. Plus they have relatives that are from our rez,so that makes it a more comfortable feeling. Some of our own people don't even travel out to other pow-wows and see how they are ran and how the floorman get things situated,and I as a traveler,see the lack when it comes to our our own dance. But I as a outside MC,really have to listen to the hosting people and their elders and how they do their ceremonies or customs. It can be tough when you overlook things and then you catch your first @$$ chewin' from the host committee or the local drums. But it does help to know who you are working for.
Pushtay Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
Banned

selinanell is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 114.00
Appreciate it L.P..... Are you guys planning on being around for Baltimore, or is it the same weekend as Crow Fair...?
selinanell is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2015, 02:56 AM   #6
Banned

zeeshan002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 119.00
I don't have Butch McIntoshs' contact info but you might be able to get ahold of him through Tully Choate, who also is a member of the Broken Arrow Color guard. You can contact him at 1004 West Delmar, Broken Arrow, OK 74012
zeeshan002 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links