PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Head Staff (http://forums.powwows.com/f66/)
-   -   Should Dancers Be Required to Show CDIB Card? (http://forums.powwows.com/f66/should-dancers-required-show-cdib-card-49837/)

ugidali 02-20-2009 11:05 AM

Should Dancers Be Required to Show CDIB Card?
 
:circle:



Perhaps I should have been more pacific.
AS FAR AS CONTESTS GO AT POWWOWS, DO YOU THINK DANCERS SHOULD HAVE TO SHOW THEIR CDIB CARD?

I have heard a couple of people say they were told they needed to show their card because they didn't "look" Indian. That's crazy and just plain rude. I've never had that happen to me. But maybe they were just being picked on for some reason. But at Denver March Powwow don't they do the same?

Iowa_Boy 02-20-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugidali (Post 1268975)
:circle:

only when getting indian tacos, don't want the non-Indians eating the Indian tacos.

rez_hopper 02-20-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy (Post 1269011)
only when getting indian tacos, don't want the non-Indians eating the Indian tacos.


That's unfair!

My great great grandmother was an Indian Taco eating princess, but I can't prove it.





:lol:

WhoMe 02-20-2009 03:10 PM

C ool
D esirable
I ndian
B uuuuuuH!

WocusWoman 02-21-2009 11:33 PM

No!

ugidali 02-22-2009 02:18 AM

what
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1269034)
C ool
D esirable
I ndian
B uuuuuuH!

:nzd::lol:

dancing_crow 02-22-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rez_hopper (Post 1269029)
That's unfair!

My great great grandmother was an Indian Taco eating princess, but I can't prove it.

:lol:

LMAO...I can't find my Great Great Grandfather either, Chief Indian Taco

NorthofAda 02-22-2009 04:17 PM

Denver March says you have to be 1/4 NDN to contest. I've never been there so I don't know if they card everybody or just those they have questions about.

I've never been carded at a powwow before and I don't think they should.

tsuj510 02-22-2009 08:29 PM

Gon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthofAda (Post 1269579)
Denver March says you have to be 1/4 NDN to contest. I've never been there so I don't know if they card everybody or just those they have questions about.

I've never been carded at a powwow before and I don't think they should.

Isn't that the case at Gathering too?

ugidali 02-22-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugidali (Post 1268975)
:circle:



Perhaps I should have been more pacific.
AS FAR AS CONTESTS GO AT POWWOWS, DO YOU THINK DANCERS SHOULD HAVE TO SHOW THEIR CDIB CARD?

I have heard a couple of people say they were told they needed to show their card because they didn't "look" Indian. That's crazy and just plain rude. I've never had that happen to me. But maybe they were just being picked on for some reason. But at Denver March Powwow don't they do the same?

:character

shadowoman 02-23-2009 10:17 AM

:lol:

Iowa_Boy 02-23-2009 11:55 AM

Now, let's get serious, to be called "Indian Taco", do they have to have little CDTB cards?

Lakota Wiyan 02-23-2009 02:27 PM

If you got, you shouldn't worry about having to show them. If you DONT have them, I guess you shouldnt worry about it either. Just dont contest there, and dont go to that powwow if you dont like their policy. Sheesh, cant we have just one itty bitty teeny tiny thing for ourselves? Dont we share enough? Gaaaaaah...*eye roll*

lol <<<<for all the denser folks, this was sarcastic>>>>

ac_miss 02-23-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan (Post 1269805)
If you got, you shouldn't worry about having to show them. If you DONT have them, I guess you shouldnt worry about it either. Just dont contest there, and dont go to that powwow if you dont like their policy.

I concur!! :thumbsup:

WhoMe 02-24-2009 09:22 AM

What about state recognized tribes? Some don't have tribal cards?

I have a CDIB but I don't carry it. I'm sure there are others too?

I have two little friends that are full bloods but of 8 tribes. They don't qualify for a CDIB.

chazziff 02-24-2009 10:15 AM

well ... ANY canadian native ... is NOT considered to have any native blood to the US government and vice versa ...

if you take myself ... im about as full blood Cree as anyone can get ... 100% and my spouse is 3/4 and 1/4 of two american native tribes ... yet our children are NOT be considered native enough to get a CDIB card LOL.

long story ... his tribe where he is enrolled in, says our girls dont have the "right" to be enrolled with them because they have been already registered with a certificate of indian status card on my home reserve and they put me down as white (other blood) too on the rejection letter. which i found to be quite ludicris once ya really think about it ... your already registered NATIVE elsewhere but you're WHITE at the same time, as a reason to reject their applications LOL.

so my children being of all native american blood would not be allowed to dance ... technically ...

Zeke 02-26-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugidali (Post 1268975)
AS FAR AS CONTESTS GO AT POWWOWS, DO YOU THINK DANCERS SHOULD HAVE TO SHOW THEIR CDIB CARD?

To attend synagogue, should a Jew have to show "tattoo lineage" to Auschwitz? What about to manufacture/sell Jewish goods?

CDIBs are crap. Any exclusion practice based upon them is worse.

Makes my answer, "no." :frown:

homi 02-26-2009 01:56 PM

nope. Seems to me that especially in the states the policies are kinda screwy as to how they are issued.

I think i've only had to show mine twice at powwows once at mohegan sun many moons ago and once at a tiny cali powwow.

I am used to showin mine on a daily basis however. In ontario we gotta whip them out at every store to get the tax taken off our purchases and unfortunately I like to shop.

Lakota Wiyan 02-26-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homi (Post 1271205)
nope. Seems to me that especially in the states the policies are kinda screwy as to how they are issued.

I think i've only had to show mine twice at powwows once at mohegan sun many moons ago and once at a tiny cali powwow.

I am used to showin mine on a daily basis however. In ontario we gotta whip them out at every store to get the tax taken off our purchases and unfortunately I like to shop.

I wonder if people are going to gripe out folks who have this advantage as well. I just used mine to get a new Verizon Life Line phone (aka RezPhone). I cant wait to hear people try and rip me up cause they dont get this benefit!!

Why is it that you hear the most gripes from people who DON"T have, or can't get, a CDIB?
You never hear folks crying around about not being able to drive a car legally if they can't have a Driver's Lisence.

Coming from a family that can't trace their lineage, or do not have enough ancestors who are Native is nothing to be ashamed of. So, dont try and make those of us who DO feel like it's some government conspiracy, or degrading system that we have bought into. Apparently you like what we have enough to try and emulate us (at powwows at least). Accept that this is how some powwow committees are trying to PRESERVE something, and don't take it personally.

Seems like contesting is the most important thing here.....which is a whole other issue altogether!

Zeke 02-26-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan (Post 1271273)
Coming from a family that can't trace their lineage, or do not have enough ancestors who are Native is nothing to be ashamed of.

Except CDIBs have nothing to do with either strawman argument. (Yes, I have a CDIB. And?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan (Post 1271273)
So, dont try and make those of us who DO feel like it's some government conspiracy, or degrading system that we have bought into.

Beyond, of course, the fact that it IS degrading and -- worse -- legislates Natives out of recognized legal existence within a few generations: almost as if it were planned that way...

Oh, wait. It was.

You can feel however you desire, but the facts are self-evident.

And it is horrid and shameful that Natives (you know, us?) would stoop to using the Great White Father's system of recognition as an entry hurdle for our own events.

That's taking the bait, hook, line and sinker.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC