Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Head Staff Should Dancers Be Required to Show CDIB Card? Should Dancers Be Required to Show CDIB Card?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #21
The Beadin Fool

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
fncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond reputefncyshwldncr4life has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 571.66
Savings: 0.00
I've been to a few powwows that card..alot of times I think its jus to weed out the rif~raff, which really shouldn't matter cuz "rif~raff" probably wouldn't win anywhoo. I've Contested at Gathering and Denver March, and never got carded. The carding thing don't really matter either way to me.. But I understand how it can also be unfair to people who are native and still cant get cards due to quantum requirements.
fncyshwldncr4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #22
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 121,060.76
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Except CDIBs have nothing to do with either strawman argument. (Yes, I have a CDIB. And?)

Beyond, of course, the fact that it IS degrading and -- worse -- legislates Natives out of recognized legal existence within a few generations: almost as if it were planned that way...

Oh, wait. It was.

You can feel however you desire, but the facts are self-evident.

And it is horrid and shameful that Natives (you know, us?) would stoop to using the Great White Father's system of recognition as an entry hurdle for our own events.

That's taking the bait, hook, line and sinker.
C'mon Zeke...it was a simple question about a CDIB card and a powwow and you go off on a tangent about some Great White Father sheit. Most of that stuff has nothing to do with this thread.

Not all NDNs go to contest powwows.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #23
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,512.63
I personally don't see the need to have to card us, just to dance at a contest IF we wish to contest. I have yet to be carded at a dance, though I usually do carry a card but not always. (I was glad I had it with me when we went into Mexico. It was the only thing allowing me to reenter TX at that time.) I didn't have my birth certificate with me, another government documentation silliness.

I would have to vote NO on the CDIB requirement to dance.

Bob
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #24
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
C'mon Zeke...it was a simple question about a CDIB card and a powwow and you go off on a tangent about some Great White Father sheit. Most of that stuff has nothing to do with this thread.

Not all NDNs go to contest powwows.
Now, now. The following quote demanded dismantling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan
So, dont try and make those of us who DO feel like it's some government conspiracy, or degrading system that we have bought into.
Her points, in support of CDIBs at powwows and elsewhere, are that it is NOT government action or degrading.

That's just wrong.

I don't see the issue in responding, directly.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #25
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
I have carded people before and I have been carded. ONe problem I run into is NC has state recognized organizations. Well, if someone has a card to that organization then they are considered "state" recognized which I don't think is right but whatever. Like I said I have carded people I didn't know before just because that is what I am paid to do. And I was carded at Fayetteville powwow one time and didn't get p*ssed. I know I don't "look" Indian and didn't hold it against them. They didn't know me at all.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #26
Powwows.com Princess

Items Panda
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,530.89
danggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff View Post
well ... ANY canadian native ... is NOT considered to have any native blood to the US government and vice versa ...

if you take myself ... im about as full blood Cree as anyone can get ... 100% and my spouse is 3/4 and 1/4 of two american native tribes ... yet our children are NOT be considered native enough to get a CDIB card LOL.

long story ... his tribe where he is enrolled in, says our girls dont have the "right" to be enrolled with them because they have been already registered with a certificate of indian status card on my home reserve and they put me down as white (other blood) too on the rejection letter. which i found to be quite ludicris once ya really think about it ... your already registered NATIVE elsewhere but you're WHITE at the same time, as a reason to reject their applications LOL.

so my children being of all native american blood would not be allowed to dance ... technically ...
That's not fair. That totally sucks.
ugidali is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #27
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugidali View Post
That's not fair. That totally sucks.
And stands as a prime example of why CDIBs (and things like them) are jokes.

No, dancers -- or anyone else -- should not have to show CDIBs for standing, recognition, handouts, etc.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #28
Thinkin' Fancy thoughts

beeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond repute
beeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
I have carded people before and I have been carded. ONe problem I run into is NC has state recognized organizations. Well, if someone has a card to that organization then they are considered "state" recognized which I don't think is right but whatever. Like I said I have carded people I didn't know before just because that is what I am paid to do. And I was carded at Fayetteville powwow one time and didn't get p*ssed. I know I don't "look" Indian and didn't hold it against them. They didn't know me at all.
Hi NDNQt,

Your post brings up something that has puzzled me for awhile. Maybe you can help me understand. Virginia doesn't have any federally recognized tribes. So, does this mean the dancers at the VA powwows that require CDIB must be from another state or tribe outside of VA??
beeleaf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Lightbulb And and and This 1 Time @ Band Camp......Used 2 B Da Line.....But Now....

SCREWING N CHEWING.......If folks would jus stick to that the 2 leggeds would have been jus fine!
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #30
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,512.63
I think I may also need to bring a Zeke ideology out.

I don't understand the need for the Powwow Committees to have to require dancers to prove what the Fed's want to define us as NDN. Isn't that playing a BIA game? I think that the dancers should be defined by their dancing and not their cardability. This is kinda like playing the skin game.

Just another thought.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #31
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEROSAGE View Post
I think I may also need to bring a Zeke ideology out.

I don't understand the need for the Powwow Committees to have to require dancers to prove what the Fed's want to define us as NDN. Isn't that playing a BIA game? I think that the dancers should be defined by their dancing and not their cardability. This is kinda like playing the skin game.

Just another thought.
My point, precisely.

You said it better.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #32
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
I've gone to sleep and woke up in Bizarro World....I completely and fully agree with you Zeke. To what, and better yet, WHO'S point would this serve?

tag along, play the game, do what THEY tell you, it'll be all good, right?
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #33
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
but what about the ndn tacos? should they be required to show us their CDIDelicious cards? Come on Zeke, what about the tacos?
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #34
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
but what about the ndn tacos? should they be required to show us their CDIDelicious cards? Come on Zeke, what about the tacos?
Well, if you don't have a card, is it truly an authentic -- INDIAN MADE -- taco?

Perhaps we should query KiowaKat. Oh, wait, she got banned...
Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #35
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Well, if you don't have a card, is it truly an authentic -- INDIAN MADE -- taco?

Perhaps we should query KiowaKat. Oh, wait, she got banned...
Well now, I have an alternate communication line to her Abode and she says only authentic Ndn Taco is made with Bluebird Comod Flour and a card carrying Ndn
lol
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #36
GOOD TIL THA LAST DROP

Southern Comfort has a reputation beyond repute
Southern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond reputeSouthern Comfort has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
C ool
D esirable
I ndian
B uuuuuuH!
LMAO dang BUUUUUH!....

***NO MATTER HOW I TRY I CANT SEEM TO GET U OUTTA MY MIND BCUZ U ARE SO FINE AND I CARE FOR U I HOPE U CARE FOR ME TO NO DOUBT ABOUT IT I DONT WANNA BE A PLAYA NO MORE***

LULULULU
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #37
Pow Wow Visitor

deerlover is an unknown quantity at this point
no cards should b shown.....
deerlover is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #38
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Well now, I have an alternate communication line to her Abode and she says only authentic Ndn Taco is made with Bluebird Comod Flour and a card carrying Ndn
lol
FUNNY!

Of course, commodity flour is a gift from the Great White Father...
Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #39
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
Beeleaf, Sorry I hadn't responded, I hadn't looked at this thread since I posted before. We don't ask for CDIB cards just tribal cards. An example of what happens around here - I carded this man (who years ago said he wasn't Native and now he says he is) and he gave me some association card from California. I told him association cards don't mean you are Indian and besides that if he was going to try and claim my daddy's tribe he needed learn how to spell it. The name is Chickahominy and he had an "e" in there!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #40
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNQt View Post
Beeleaf, Sorry I hadn't responded, I hadn't looked at this thread since I posted before. We don't ask for CDIB cards just tribal cards. An example of what happens around here - I carded this man (who years ago said he wasn't Native and now he says he is) and he gave me some association card from California. I told him association cards don't mean you are Indian and besides that if he was going to try and claim my daddy's tribe he needed learn how to spell it. The name is Chickahominy and he had an "e" in there!
Tons of pow wows in NC and VA card, but they don't ask for CDIBs because 90% of the dancers there don't have them....just state-recognized cards. These are the same dancers who came to Cherokee, NC when they were requiring federal cards and complained about discrimination. LOL Kinda doesn't make sense...sort of like saying 'discrimination sucks unless I can do the discriminating'.

Carded pow wows are dumb...like someone else said, the yahoos aren't going to win anyways so what is everyone afraid of? I do think though that if pow wows are going to card, it should be on the flyer so people know the skinny before they travel because like WhoMe...not everyone always carries it with them.