Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree44Likes

Forum Home - Go Back >   > Feedback and Forum Support New server forum issues New server forum issues

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LeannB has a reputation beyond repute
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,648.74
Savings: 0.00
New server forum issues

Paul, I'm glad the video topic came up! DD just fixed me up w/ a new Windows 8 computer (my old one was dying!!!) and I'm still getting used to the thing. I've been trying to watch the videos here (not a problem with my windows XP computer) but since I got the new 'puter, the videos on this site refuse to load.

Is there something I need to load onto my new machine? YouTube is no problem. I listen to music on it quite often.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,419.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB View Post
Paul, I'm glad the video topic came up! DD just fixed me up w/ a new Windows 8 computer (my old one was dying!!!) and I'm still getting used to the thing. I've been trying to watch the videos here (not a problem with my windows XP computer) but since I got the new 'puter, the videos on this site refuse to load.

Is there something I need to load onto my new machine? YouTube is no problem. I listen to music on it quite often.
The videos on our TV site?

http://tv.powwows.com

Those are just embeds from Youtube. Strange those wouldn't work.
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
The videos on our TV site?

http://tv.powwows.com

Those are just embeds from Youtube. Strange those wouldn't work.
YUP.

THOSE.

Just tried it again. There's a big square on the page, where you'd expect to see the video, and a tiny box with an X in it, in the upper left hand corner ot that big square. And a circle in the middle of that square, that goes round and round in the middle like it's trying to load, and doesn't.

Just one of the many mysteries of Windows 8. I'm not a fan.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Webmaster

Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB View Post
YUP.

THOSE.

Just tried it again. There's a big square on the page, where you'd expect to see the video, and a tiny box with an X in it, in the upper left hand corner ot that big square. And a circle in the middle of that square, that goes round and round in the middle like it's trying to load, and doesn't.

Just one of the many mysteries of Windows 8. I'm not a fan.
Yeah, that is odd.

Try a different browser.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,744.91
LeannB, you may have a security setting that is goofed up that is preventing embedded media objects from playing on sites where the video isn't hosted.

If you are on Windows 8 you may need to try the settings in Internet Explorer to view this site in "Compatibility Mode". It usually shows up as an icon with an image of a torn page on it next to the address bar if it thinks the site may run better with it active.

Also are you trying to access this site from the Internet Explorer App that is on the tile screen or from the Desktop view? They are actually two different version of Internet Explorer. The version on the tile screen is nothing more than an expanded version that is used on Windows Phone 8 devices (mobile phones) and the version on the Desktop view is the full version. Try them both. Another work-around is to download Firefox or Google Chrome and use them instead.

As for Windows 8 testing on this site I'll check this out on our MS Surface Pro at some point today.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
Quote:
Yeah, that is odd.

Try a different browser.
Thanks. I'll have to do that .
Old 03-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
I pull your leg out!

Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
New server forum issues

I have decided to create a new thread for people to post any issues that they are having since our migration to a new server.

Below I have moved some posts over from a previous thread.
Josiah and comadre like this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
I pull your leg out!

The verdict is in over here on that issue, at least as far as I could replicate it.

The way Windows 8, as I understand it, works with Internet Explorer is that the App version that appears on the Tile screen is sort of limited to allow for a fast browsing experience at the cost of having some features turned off. This includes Flash Player on all but a handful of sites - that exception is hackable by changing some data in an XML file. With that said if you switch to the "Desktop View" you will be able to access the full version of Internet Explorer. An easy way to tell the difference is the layout of the screen. In the app version on the Tiles screen the address bar is at the bottom and appears very slimmed down. On the desktop version it appears like a normal browser including the address bar at the top - you know the classic view.

When I tested with the app version on the tile screen the YouTube embedded videos did not play. I got an "X" in the corner with a circle spinning in the middle of where the video would be. When I tested with the full desktop version it worked fine. I was testing using a Microsoft Surface Pro.

There is a reason why the YouTube videos worked on the YouTube.com and not here. When you visit the YouTube website the stream from them to your mobile device is handled via HTML5, same as when you visit them with an iPad.

There is an anomaly here though. I just tested this with the newest iPad and the embedded video worked fine. Although that might be because the fact that the YouTube server sees "Internet Explorer" and thus treats it as a full desktop version unlike when it sees the mobile version of "Safari" and treats it as a mobile device.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 37,423.92
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
The verdict is in over here on that issue, at least as far as I could replicate it.

The way Windows 8, as I understand it, works with Internet Explorer is that the App version that appears on the Tile screen is sort of limited to allow for a fast browsing experience at the cost of having some features turned off. This includes Flash Player on all but a handful of sites - that exception is hackable by changing some data in an XML file. With that said if you switch to the "Desktop View" you will be able to access the full version of Internet Explorer. An easy way to tell the difference is the layout of the screen. In the app version on the Tiles screen the address bar is at the bottom and appears very slimmed down. On the desktop version it appears like a normal browser including the address bar at the top - you know the classic view.

When I tested with the app version on the tile screen the YouTube embedded videos did not play. I got an "X" in the corner with a circle spinning in the middle of where the video would be. When I tested with the full desktop version it worked fine. I was testing using a Microsoft Surface Pro.

There is a reason why the YouTube videos worked on the YouTube.com and not here. When you visit the YouTube website the stream from them to your mobile device is handled via HTML5, same as when you visit them with an iPad.

There is an anomaly here though. I just tested this with the newest iPad and the embedded video worked fine. Although that might be because the fact that the YouTube server sees "Internet Explorer" and thus treats it as a full desktop version unlike when it sees the mobile version of "Safari" and treats it as a mobile device.
Makes sense

I have not tried Windows 8 I am still on lucky 7
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
I did notice that some of the icons are missing from the website like in the Right hand window hmmm
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
I did notice that some of the icons are missing from the website like in the Right hand window hmmm
Which icons?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
Toolbox, you're a genius!

Ok, I was using the tiles app, but went back and opened the classic desktop view and went to powwows.com . Tried to open a video, and POOF!!!! It loaded quickly and I was able to see it.

WOOT!!! Maybe this will work on some of the other sites that I have been having issues with.

Thanks! Happy dance, here....

P.S. Microsoft REALLY needs to fix this. REALLY.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
I pull your leg out!

Quote:
Makes sense

I have not tried Windows 8 I am still on lucky 7
Yeah Windows 8 is still got its issues. I really am loving the Surface Pro. Windows 8 is great for touch devices.

I actually got procurement to buy all 3 major tablets. I was trying this site out on each.

For now I'm staying on 7 at home.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #14
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,592.40
I'm on Win7 and use Chrome. I'm not seeing the smilies on the right. Here is a link Happy birthday WarDancer where I posted a thumbs up smilie and it isn't showing-to me, anyhow. All I see are a "page" shape with the right corner turned down.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #15
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
I'm on Win7 and use Chrome. I'm not seeing the smilies on the right. Here is a link Happy birthday WarDancer where I posted a thumbs up smilie and it isn't showing-to me, anyhow. All I see are a "page" shape with the right corner turned down.
Yeah, it doesn't show up to me either. Just a page with an "X" in it. Maybe it is that particular icon? Nope...

<------that was supposed to be an angel.

The Reply to Thread page where you type is wrong. The place where the smilies are has been cut off so that you can only see one column of them.

Icons definitely messed up.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Which icons?
I think they were the Facebook twitter ect ect they are 5 in a row usually above the welcome,your name section in the right hand window

I also noticed that some of the smilie icons are missing but only some???
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #17

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 11,176.82
A lot of smilie icons don't show up and also I can only see half of the side box where those smilies are beside the message box. On the very right side I can't see the logon bars anymore.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Webmaster

Quote:
I think they were the Facebook twitter ect ect they are 5 in a row usually above the welcome,your name section in the right hand window

I also noticed that some of the smilie icons are missing but only some???
Do you see them now?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post
A lot of smilie icons don't show up and also I can only see half of the side box where those smilies are beside the message box. On the very right side I can't see the logon bars anymore.
Can you send me a screenshot?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #20

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 11,176.82
Quote:
Can you send me a screenshot?
Yes thank you, I made a screenshot but in RTF and don't know how to upload it or send it. It may takes a while until I figured it out.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links