Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Chicken Dance Chicken Dance at Powwows Chicken Dance at Powwows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Drummer and Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Brackett481 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Chicken Dance at Powwows

I have been to many powwows lately where a chicken dancer or two have requested a song. I quess it is like a specialty. During this specialty, I noticed that both traditional dancers and grass dancers came into the circle to dance the song. Are these other style dancers typically allowed to dance with a chicken dancer in a specialty, or should it just be the Chicken out there?

I know there are many specialties for both grass and tradish, but is this one of them?
Brackett481 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Gettin Dat Chicken On...

darkwaterlum is a jewel in the rough
For here on the east coast, there are very few powwows that have a seperate chicken cateogory, I either have to dance with the grass dancers, I have seen some chickendancers compete with the traditional dancers, I think its up to the A.D., but i prefer to dance with the grass dancers, because their songs are usually more upbeat, and I have yet to see a Southern drum sing a double beat for a grass category....haha At the last few powwows the MC would give me a seperate song just for an exibition, and sometimes a grass and or a traditional dancer would join in. Hey there has been times when a Duck and Dive or stooping song was sung, and I would join in with tradtional dancers...so I think that it really falls on the MC and/or the AD....
darkwaterlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwaterlum
For here on the east coast, there are very few powwows that have a seperate chicken cateogory, I either have to dance with the grass dancers, I have seen some chickendancers compete with the traditional dancers, I think its up to the A.D., but i prefer to dance with the grass dancers, because their songs are usually more upbeat, and I have yet to see a Southern drum sing a double beat for a grass category....haha At the last few powwows the MC would give me a seperate song just for an exibition, and sometimes a grass and or a traditional dancer would join in. Hey there has been times when a Duck and Dive or stooping song was sung, and I would join in with tradtional dancers...so I think that it really falls on the MC and/or the AD....

Its not up to the AD or MC at all. Its up to the dancer. Back west most of the chicken dancers dance in traditional...Its a traditional dance. not grass.

Ps, i just saw a southern drum sing a double beat not two weeks ago.

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
around here i have seen chicken dancers witht eh grass dancers and with the traditional dancers.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
All I know about this dance, I learnt from a gentleman from Alberta. I will share one thing and one thing only. It is called a prairie chicken dance where he comes from and there are teachings and a society to which this dance belongs.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 132,907.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
All I know about this dance, I learnt from a gentleman from Alberta. I will share one thing and one thing only. It is called a prairie chicken dance where he comes from and there are teachings and a society to which this dance belongs.
Hey Ki...What prairie are you talking about? The southeast prairie or the northeast prairie?

Juss kiddin! You make a good point. When you see as many shicken dancers coming in on a Grand Entry up in the Northwest as you see dancers coming in at other powwows, it's drives the point home.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Gettin Dat Chicken On...

darkwaterlum is a jewel in the rough
" Its not up to the AD or MC at all. Its up to the dancer. Back west most of the chicken dancers dance in traditional...Its a traditional dance. not grass......"

I was just saying for the powwows that I have been to so far here on the east coast...usually the AD would ask which category do we prefer, and would normally suggest the grass category....
darkwaterlum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
Lavender Hill Mobb

CloudN9ne is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 430.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwaterlum
" Its not up to the AD or MC at all. Its up to the dancer. Back west most of the chicken dancers dance in traditional...Its a traditional dance. not grass......"

I was just saying for the powwows that I have been to so far here on the east coast...usually the AD would ask which category do we prefer, and would normally suggest the grass category....
it's usually inexperienced ADs that make that choice for you!!!
i usually make my own choices when i dance chicken a powwows, but it's mainly you hop into the tradish catagory!!

don't get mad at me im just a critic
CloudN9ne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2006, 05:42 AM   #9
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
There are two categories that people often mistake for one another: Prairie Chicken and Round Bustle. I was told the Prairie Chicken dance comes from the Blackfeet and the Round Bustle dance comes from the Umatilla. Prairie Chicken songs are some of my favorite songs to sing on a northern drum. (oh sorry, this ain't the drum forum but I'm just saying....)

When invited to judge, I really wish each of these styles had their own category. But in the Northwest, "Mens' Traditional" usually means Northern Traditional, Southern Straight, Coastal Buttonblanket, Round Bustle, Prairie Chicken ... well ANYTHING besides Grass or Fancy. I am not fond of how they often lump so many very different styles together.

Last edited by Wakalapi; 02-09-2006 at 05:46 AM..
Wakalapi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
whip cream is better

kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Around here in the inland northwest, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, I have been seeing a lot in both grass and traditional.

I have been to pow-wows around here where you will see a Prairie Chicken Dancer in with men's grass, but if their is a men's traditional special you will see them jump in that too.

It is almost like the 80's and early 90's when a lot of pow-wows did not have a grass or jingle category. I remember seeing a few grass dancers get in with men's traditional rather than fancy until they were eventually given their own category.

The only real solution would be their own Prairie Chicken category.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
siksika

djaaron319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Prairie Chicken

Oki Napiks, Well for that one that said Praire Chicken dance is traditional your right in that since its a tradish dance style but its not Northern Tradish. it is related to the grass dance in many ways even though Prairie Chicken dance is its own dance it has relation to grass. This Prairie chicken dance is a touchy subject. I dance this style and most of my elder male family did at one time. This is our peoples dance and to me its up to the dancer to dance in what categorey he wants if this categorey is not present. but up here in the north west in blackfoot country we always have it as a categorey so its all good. but i have dance in grass and tradish. so its up to the dancer. well thats my thoughts and opinion. I am no expert on this either i only know what my elders tell me and that the best u can do is to follow that.. aight laters kitakitahmahtsin
djaaron319 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
shaken' tailfeathers

oldstylechicken is a jewel in the rough
i would have to agree with djaaron319 about the chicken dancer making the choice of either dancing in grass and tradish categories and its true up here in blackfeet/blackfoot country that we have the chicken dance category so its all good. I think it would be awesome if other powwows would have it as a category to, so then it would bring more chicken dancers from all over.

Last edited by oldstylechicken; 03-24-2006 at 12:08 PM..
oldstylechicken is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
stater chick

stater chick is a jewel in the rough
well her in tha states the chicken dancers have been danceing with the grass dancers and the traditional dances!! but in canada they have there own category!!
stater chick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

Brian_wask is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink chicken dancing

undefinedI Thing That A Parire Chicken Dancer Knows What He's Doing . It's What You Feel Inside You .if Your Happy Than You Will Dance Good If Your Sad Than You Wont Dance As Good As You Do. Be Happy With Yourself Don't Try To Dance Like Someone Else You Dance For The People Who Are Sick And That Can't Walk I Speak The Truth Thank You
Old 06-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Hey Brian......

Thanks for reminding all of us of those thoughts.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #16
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,334.84
As an MC, Jerry Dearly typically calls for "all non-bustle grass dancers" when he announces the grass category. In this scenario, since the Prairie Chicken style has a bustle, then he should wait for the traditional category to be called.

As an arena director, Windy Downwind typically arranges for a special if he says even just one of these guys. Its usually seperate from all the other exhibition dances at the end of the day though. Ditto solo fancy dancers. Works out pretty good.

These two guys work together sometimes too, so that's how it gets handled over there in Minneapolis sometimes.
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Don't worry powwow people, one day all powwow committees will have to sucumb to making the chicken dance its own category. Until then, a lot of NW powwows will let the dancer have their option of dancing with the Grass or Tradish. Luckily, the people recognize this dance and any powwow you go to around these parts, a chicken dance special is sure to be on the schedule!

With that in mind, one day all powwows will have a buckskin and cloth traditional category for the ladies! See ladies, I haven't forgot about you! Men are pigs....... Wait a minute................??

...that's so true....so, so true...

Last edited by ntownn8ive; 06-29-2006 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links