Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Chicken Dance Chicken Dancing out of hand Chicken Dancing out of hand

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
3StarsWoman has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
wow

undefined
Pairie chicken or round bustle. My 2 cents is this - were were all either. We have evolved from the prairie chicken dancer or the round bustle dancer into the contemporary style of the big bustle and what it is today. There is a separation now. My version of what it is now is the "psychadelic chickens" - neon, neon, neon and wild. I think all tribes that had song and dance (all tribes) had their dancers. Maybe the dancers that dress like crow dancers are actual crow tribal people. I don't think any one tribe can claim the "chicken dance" per se. You can claim the societies because "all tribes" had their own societies. Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is how I see it.
3StarsWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

CHIEF~RED~CLOUD is infamous around these parts
Credits: 253.60
The Chicken Dance Is A Society With In The Blackfoot
CHIEF~RED~CLOUD is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #23
Tiny Tot Dancer

sir_snagalot has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstylechicken
what do u know about chicken dancing? To tell u the truth there is no such thing as a womans chicken dance society. but there is a chicken dance society up north in canada made up of men. chicken dance is a mans dance. My opinion about women dancing chicken is silly and also crazy.

LMAO exactly my point! when i heard about this i couldnt help but laugh my self off like a chicken without a head.....this is what i mean too that chicken dance is outta wack becuase even some (not all) chicken dancers themselves dont know where it comes from.
sir_snagalot is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #24
Chicken Dancer

Niitsitapii will become famous soon enough
CHicken Dance

Chicken dance outfits the dance everything about it is to much these days. Like u all said the grass and fancy moves make me a little made. No one struts or Scratches.. My aunties say if u don't scratch there just all hens. Its sad how many guess can dance like prairie chickens but when they go out there they just act crazy with there moves. I like that its getting bigger eh but it should be danced right. This is what happens to a dance when it gets to be intertribal thou and thats how pow wow works. I wish the judges would just pick these guys cause there name or cause they got these neon flashy outfits and go by the dancing. I like to see those guys who got just easy and plan old style outfits. I don't think anyone who dissagree with this post or any off the other people that said its too much. But for me i don't like any of these new contemp stuff.. doing the robot and shooting the audience with your dance stick and things like that. lol makes it a show and miss represents our dance .. Kitakitakmahtsin
Niitsitapii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #25
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niitsitapii
Chicken dance outfits the dance everything about it is to much these days. Like u all said the grass and fancy moves make me a little made. No one struts or Scratches.. My aunties say if u don't scratch there just all hens. Its sad how many guess can dance like prairie chickens but when they go out there they just act crazy with there moves. I like that its getting bigger eh but it should be danced right. This is what happens to a dance when it gets to be intertribal thou and thats how pow wow works. I wish the judges would just pick these guys cause there name or cause they got these neon flashy outfits and go by the dancing. I like to see those guys who got just easy and plan old style outfits. I don't think anyone who dissagree with this post or any off the other people that said its too much. But for me i don't like any of these new contemp stuff.. doing the robot and shooting the audience with your dance stick and things like that. lol makes it a show and miss represents our dance .. Kitakitakmahtsin

Old 06-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #26
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niitsitapii
Its sad how many guess can dance like prairie chickens but when they go out there they just act crazy with there moves.
I remember the first time I ever saw chicken dance - a little over 25 years ago. There were two (to my eyes then) old guys that requested a song for it. I'd seen prairie chickens doing their courting dance in contest for the females - and watching those two guys go, there was NO question what the dance was about. Gave me goose flesh - they became the dance.

I've seen several of the contemp versions - it's not the same and not the same feeling either.

my 1/2 cents worth.

~b2w

Maybe beginning chicken dancers should have to watch Discovery channel prairie chicken film footage before dancing ? j/k
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #27
Dansin reel goot!

RedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond repute
Totally Agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by between2worlds
I remember the first time I ever saw chicken dance - a little over 25 years ago. There were two (to my eyes then) old guys that requested a song for it. I'd seen prairie chickens doing their courting dance in contest for the females - and watching those two guys go, there was NO question what the dance was about. Gave me goose flesh - they became the dance.

I've seen several of the contemp versions - it's not the same and not the same feeling either.my 1/2 cents worth.

~b2w

Maybe beginning chicken dancers should have to watch Discovery channel prairie chicken film footage before dancing ? j/k

B2W,
I totally agree, I myself was in Brockett, AB about almost 20 years ago and YES that was the first time I had seen Chicken Dancers and true to their names, they dance like a Prairie Chicken doing the courtship thing they show on Discovery channel. It was also true that there were few and far between these dancers but ever since I have not seen the dance style I've seen back then, too contemperary now days, too many fancy moves in them and also too neon!!

RG.

"Dance me outside...??"
RedGrassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

3StarsWoman has a spectacular aura about
The story I was told

There was a man who lost his wife and was mourning. He was fasting and singing and praying. One morning just as the sun was coming up a message came to him that it was time for him to come out of mourning and to move on - to find another spouse. A song came to him as well. At that time as he was watching the mating ritual of the prairie chickens in the distance. The males would make their feathers stand, sway back and forth for the female. It was a way of courting. When prairie chickens receive a spouse it is their spouse for life. This is how the song and dance came to be. This is the story my grandma and grandpa told me.
3StarsWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #29
Senior Dancer

wa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,939.03
Seems like to me, there should be some sort of connection to the style of dance that a person selects to dance. Seems like they would know a little something about it.

When I watch "Chicken Dancers" in action, alot of them remind me "Barn-Yard Chickens" instead of a "Prairie Chicken" trying to attract a mate.

Kind of makes feel bad for the "Traditional People" who know about this dance.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #30
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Found some video clips of Prairie Chickens "booming" on the lek. Here is the best one for people who have never seen a prairie chicken:

http://ravel.zoology.wisc.edu/sgaap/...n_Finished.mov

(took about 10 minutes to d/l on dsl so have patience)

~b2w

who is old enough to have actually seen this mating dance in person somewhere other than a wildlife preserve
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #31
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
i remember my dad taking us out to watch the prairie chickens dance when i was small. just wish i paid more attention .. lol .. i do remember it though. the sounds, the dance, the ever so slight puffs dust from their feet in the setting sun ...

i should take my kids out to watch .. they even dance just down the hill from my house by the old water well and down our other approach road ...
Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 AM   #32
Blackfoot Style!

babygirl_chief_calf is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: I live where the grass grows, the wind blows and where the stars are free.
I strongly agree!!
babygirl_chief_calf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #33
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Man, some chicken dancers, well at least their style of dancing, they out of they [email protected] mind. This past weekend at *******, there were so many dancers out there, wearin flashy pinks, purples, neons and what not. Prancing around in pink tights shakin @$$ like they was on a Lil' John music video. Cute, real cute.

Anyways, as disheartening as this is to see a grown @$$ man dance like that, all categories have that contemporary side, where dancers use loud movements and outfits to stand out while competing.

Looking at most categories, there is a clear definition in a more traditional and then a contemporary side: i.e. mens northern straight-traditional and mens northern contemporary traditional; even mens "old style" grass, being more reserved and dancing stationary almost, and mens contemporary grass; definitely womens "old style" jingle and womens contemporary jingle, so on...

So, if I had a million dollars to put on a powwow, I would definitely split most of the categories down into traditional/old style and contemporary in consideration of what particular style of that category the dancer chooses.

Dang it, I only have $40 bucks....

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #34
Chicken Dancer

Niitsitapii will become famous soon enough
Chicken Dance

Let me tell you since i came east and when to these pow wows in the midwest and east.. I even conformed to wearing brite colors to stand out but i still dance old style. It sad went to these pow wows here only Blackfoot dancer dancing old style and all these contempary place .. because the judges don't know how to judge it.. people just don't know about the dance i seen guess dressed up in chicken dance outfits dancin tradititional here its so sad.. I wish we could get it across to ndn country about our dance we speak on and speak on it and they don't listen if u don't know how to judge it tell someone.. if u don't know how to dance it ask someone.. that simple.. kitakitahmahtsin
Niitsitapii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #35
Cherokee/Seneca/Baby

ADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond reputeADcRezFamily has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilimama
I agree with you 100% 1800s indian. This dance style is going the way of the Jingle style of dancing today. Way to fancy and to much neon and bling.

Oh I do agree!!!
ADcRezFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #36
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntownn8ive
Dang it, I only have $40 bucks....

Hey don't spend it, thats our seed money I tell ya SEED MONEY lol
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #37
Tiny Tot Dancer

buffalo69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Snooze

Who is the authority on chicken dance anyway??? if someone wants to jump around in a chicken bustle let him/her...besides they are dancing for money at a pow wow..I don't think anyone has the right to restrict someone because they don't have a specific background in chicken dance..if they are ndn why hate on them for enjoying themselves? What are we white people?
buffalo69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #38
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
All in favor say 'I'

All opposed say 'Nay'

Very well, the 'I's have it.

Ntown will now be our official authority on MEN IN TIGHTS!

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #39
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Hmmm...

From what I understand the Chicken dance comes from the Blackfoot Peoples I.E. Pikuni, (Peigan), Siksika, and Kainai. I've seen several people dance it and i'm sure people have several interpretations of the dance. Usually though it is appropriate to inquire with the particular Tribe the dance originated with. I've heard and seen some Blackfoot folks just watch with utter disbelief while someone interprets the Chicken dance.....I'd suggest attending one of the Blackfoot gatherings.
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Last edited by Coyot_In_The_House; 09-18-2006 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #40
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo69
..I don't think anyone has the right to restrict someone because they don't have a specific background in chicken dance.. What are we white people?

buffalo,

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

The chicken dance has significant meaning to the members of the Blackfoot Confederacy. Many of their elders know of this dance through ceremony.

If anybody has the right to offer criticism, it would be a Pikuni, Siksika, Kainai or Piegan elder. It's their societal dance!