Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Chicken Dance Chicken Dancing out of hand Chicken Dancing out of hand

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #81
shaken' tailfeathers

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
oldstylechicken is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntownn8ive
Does this mean you're gonna start up the society again or are these just claims that you got the best chicken dancers!!

we dance the original way just like the old people.
oldstylechicken is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #82
Chicken Dancer

Niitsitapii will become famous soon enough
All i am going to say is back home its old style. Thats the way it should be but its not always that way..
Niitsitapii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #83
Historian

Kiayo will become famous soon enough
Wink

Quote:
Does this mean you're gonna start up the society again or are these just claims that you got the best chicken dancers!!
The Chicken dance Society is still in existence amongst the Siksika (Blackfoot) Nation. I strongly believe we still have the best Chicken dancers on turtle island!
Kiayo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2006, 04:01 AM   #84
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiayo
The Chicken dance Society is still in existence amongst the Siksika (Blackfoot) Nation. I strongly believe we still have the best Chicken dancers on turtle island!

And my gramma makes the best frybread!!

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #85
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
No!

Quote:
And my gramma makes the best frybread!!
My Mother-Inlaw makes the best Bread! LOL!

No shame huh.....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #86
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyot_In_The_House
My Mother-Inlaw makes the best Bread! LOL!

No shame huh.....
Hey, then that would make you my Uncle by marriage........???? Wait, is that right????

Old 11-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #87
As you can see...

Pa??? Izz that U?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #88
Pow Wow Visitor

bloodman is an unknown quantity at this point
ask any of the boys, dustin, guy fox, brain w, scalplock boys about marvin calf robe
their comment may vary but the'll agree that he brought the dance back and dances a real old form. if you can get schem 1999 he won that year you'll see some real (northern fancy pretty prarrie chicken dance) the actual name.
bloodman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #89
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
i remember marvin .. yea i agree he "brought" it back. and i totally luv his style of dance ..
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #90
Pow Wow Visitor

bloodman is an unknown quantity at this point
to the bear on the blood tribe is commercal or competiveness I think both have always been part of our social functions, as far as the soicity Kiitokiik that has nothing to do with anything. in blackfoot country there is a very strong line between spiritaul and social the two just don't mix. and another thing are you a big time chickendancer where people from far and wide will reconize your name and style. if not like blackfoot rules around POMMAKSSIN witch you seem to following yuo don't have much to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
send me a private mess some time and I share with you what kahsk told me about the dance. people like Goerge Many Feather, Steve Heavy runner, Allen hind bull, ED calf robe, Man'oo bull sheilds even hansome Joe Across the mountain These are the real thing back in the dayz and it was all about winning . victory stories rember that all Blackfoot men have when to teach with to being the best dam redskin around
bloodman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #91
Chicken Dancer

HotGrass2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Prairie chicken dance

just referring to 1800 Indians, I agree with some points also.I notice most of the time that the chicken dancer is sometimes "his best judge" in the comepetition. People will get selected to judge this special or category and have no idea of the naturalness its suppose to represent, or the appropriate outfit that should be worn. I also notice that a lot of pow wows will not even play a chicken dance song unless you go and ask. Sometimes there will be three or four chicken dancers present and for the whole weekend they will not get a song, let alone their own category. In the same pow wow there will be one fancy dancer show up but he will have his own songs and category! I am glad that there is a forum like this because I find this very frustrating. All in all people are afraid of change, and thats what it comes down to in some respects.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #92
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
What do you think about Chicken Dance Contests taking place all over North America and a great number of judges who don't have knowledge of the Blackfoot Confederacy and their history of this dance?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #93
Champion Dancer

charliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,232.00
Yes, my mother has an oil painting of my grandfather in his outfit. He just had a small bustle, a choker, cuffs, mocassins and breech cloth. When I danced in the 70's, Fancy shawl, everything was cloth. My shawl was a heavy wool shawl with an eagle embroidered on the back. This was one of the prizes that I recieved for winning. My leggings were cloth. I had 3 eagle feather flats for my hair and a beading medallion that they were attached to, for my hair. When we moved from the Dakotas to Montana, in the late 70's and early 80's everything started to be beaded. That was the time that womens leggings and capes started to be beaded. I remember this because I had and danced in both. Times change and so do the regalia. Nobody wears polyester anymore,,,, I think> Just my humble opinion
charliemom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #94
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Good point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
What do you think about Chicken Dance Contests taking place all over North America and a great number of judges who don't have knowledge of the Blackfoot Confederacy and their history of this dance?
Gonna run into a wide array of "interpretation"....2 say the least! I'll tell ya what though....There is a young man dancing in teens....He's a Scalplock and he is the best Chicken Dancer i've seen in years....

I suppose if your gonna have a special or category it would be wise to invite or put someone on your staff who is familar with that genre....Singing is very necessary too....Dancing and Singing go hand n hand....I like listening to Bullhorn when it comes to Chicken dance....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #95
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Quote:
I suppose if your gonna have a special or category it would be wise to invite or put someone on your staff who is familar with that genre....Singing is very necessary too....Dancing and Singing go hand n hand....I like listening to Bullhorn when it comes to Chicken dance....
I think thats true with any dance category!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #96
BOULDERDASH!

Wink That is Certainly True.....

Although this is the Chicken dance Forum, Thread...right?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #97
As you can see...

I think I like the way Blacklodge and High Noon kick out dem Chick'n Dance songs.

continue....

Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #98
Pow Wow Visitor

powwowchem is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 50.00
I just have to ask, what in the hell; "Plateau Chicken Society"???? SH**, That's why I never dance in this particular area!! Making up sh** again!!!!
powwowchem is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #99
As you can see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwowchem View Post
I just have to ask, what in the hell; "Plateau Chicken Society"???? SH**, That's why I never dance in this particular area!! Making up sh** again!!!!
C'mon now, don't act like all of us over here, are over here makin' up chyt for chyts and giggles!

Take a closer look and you'll find that it's just a handful, matter of fact, less than a handful of persons from only two of the NW tribes makin' up stuff and actin' like it's ol' skool, and puttin' on a big show. Matter o' fact, the only ones wiff the bucks to put on a big show. The rest of us know what the deal is...

Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #100
Pow Wow Visitor

doubledown is on a distinguished road
Credits: 90.00
I prefer old style or as close to it you can get and still ahve some individual expression. This thread can be said for straight dancing and I am a straight dancer from Oklahoma originally. Now alot of you powwow trailers do the same thing with the Southern Straight Dance category as well and I am sure it si the same way with jingle and tradish.....

You see people on the trail who win all over, but when they come home to compete, they get shut out because they are not dancing it the proper way and they sure are not dressing properly either.

Keep it real and don't let get out of hand.

I seen the Chicken Dance back in 96 at Schmetizun and some guy had two eagle fans twitching real awesome, not sure if it was the real deal, but it look cool. Then the next year seen the singer from RedBull do his thang. No I see this Topsky fella and think this must be as close as it gets without even really knowing....

just my 2 cents.
doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links