Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Chicken Dance Chicken Dancing out of hand Chicken Dancing out of hand

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #121
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
Savings: 0.00
Niitsit and Kiayo,

I understand that change is inevitable.

But what if in the very near future, at big powwows, contemporary dancers who are not Blackfoot shutout the old style chicken dancers who are Blackfoot?

I have seen this trend in the jingle dress category with the Anishinabe dancers.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #122
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,241.45
Savings: 0.00
The arena really has changed the way many people view the dances and their performance, but the more traditional way persists and thrives in ceremony.

Not very long ago in Treaty 3, people didn't turn their backs towards the drum and danced in place. The drum was always in the middle - and visiting drums were rare.

Maybe the Confederacy way of chicken dancing will persists in ceremony as well? Perhaps the same for the Cree style?

Maybe the big powwow isn't about persistence - heck, a lot of the older people at home say the contests are about erosion and dibinaak "anything goes" than they are about tradition and culture. Our biggest powwow is Eagle Lake... but they still pretty much stick to "the way" there too.

I dunno... just thinking out loud i guess. For sure my daughter will know the difference, and I suppose that will be good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Niitsit and Kiayo,

I understand that change is inevitable.

But what if in the very near future, at big powwows, contemporary dancers who are not Blackfoot shutout the old style chicken dancers who are Blackfoot?

I have seen this trend in the jingle dress category with the Anishinabe dancers.
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #123
Teen Dancer

Kaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant future
Credits: 4,123.81
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
The arena really has changed the way many people view the dances and their performance, but the more traditional way persists and thrives in ceremony.

Not very long ago in Treaty 3, people didn't turn their backs towards the drum and danced in place. The drum was always in the middle - and visiting drums were rare.

Maybe the Confederacy way of chicken dancing will persists in ceremony as well? Perhaps the same for the Cree style?

Maybe the big powwow isn't about persistence - heck, a lot of the older people at home say the contests are about erosion and dibinaak "anything goes" than they are about tradition and culture. Our biggest powwow is Eagle Lake... but they still pretty much stick to "the way" there too.

I dunno... just thinking out loud i guess. For sure my daughter will know the difference, and I suppose that will be good enough for me.
i think the reality of powwows today is that we interpret dances that have been used in our ceremonies for centuries and use them in a social setting. my fiance is navajo but he's thinking of taking up chicken dancing. he's a grasser now and has been for over 15 years. i told him i can't see him moving like a chicken (but being from the confederacy, im a little picky). we agreed that if he takes up the dance that he would take time to learn it from a respected dancer before putting on the regalia. of course he will never be able to have the same quality as the traditional ceremonial dancers, but as long as he is respectful (which he of course will be), im ok with him doing it.

everything in a good way.

it's not like he and other non-niitsitapii ive seen doing the dance are pretending to be old-style dancers. if they are, they'll get whats coming to them
Kaina1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #124
Lila Ma was'te na lila co

ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 162.60
Kaina i'm sorry 2 hear about your fiance!!! ha ha just kidding... i'll try not 2 tease since he's not here to defend himself... but i think he kind of understand the jokes (i'm sure he's heard enough from J-kaye) lmao

good job supporting him and teaching him in a good way... more people should do things like that! :D

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol
ballin_n_shawlin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #125
fancy feather dancer

robby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 94.00
ol skool

just like the other dances that are danced for money it is what the judges are looking for
robby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links