Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slammer

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Chicken Dance Crow Songs in the Chicken Dance Crow Songs in the Chicken Dance

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Slammer is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Crow Songs in the Chicken Dance

Do you all think it is okay to have crow hops, and duck and dives (CROW) sung for the chicken dance? I know this is the fad nowadays, just focusing on chicken dance alone. In my opinion, the chicken dance has their own style songs that are upbeat in their own way. The Crow style integration is nice, however, it is kind of boring. At some pow wows, there are hardly any original chicken dance beat songs sung.(eg. the double beat.) This, I think, is the singers fault. The singers should start making up some new chicken beats, these ancient Crow style songs are not cutting it. I think it would also be nice to keep Crow Songs only for Crow Dance Styles, and not to place them into chicken, jingle, traditional.....
Jack Anderson likes this.
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,575.67
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairSkinnedWarrior
Do you all think it is okay to have crow hops, and duck and dives (CROW) sung for the chicken dance? I know this is the fad nowadays, just focusing on chicken dance alone. In my opinion, the chicken dance has their own style songs that are upbeat in their own way. The Crow style integration is nice, however, it is kind of boring. At some pow wows, there are hardly any original chicken dance beat songs sung.(eg. the double beat.) This, I think, is the singers fault. The singers should start making up some new chicken beats, these ancient Crow style songs are not cutting it. I think it would also be nice to keep Crow Songs only for Crow Dance Styles, and not to place them into chicken, jingle, traditional.....
FSWarrior,

So are you saying,

"Keep the Crows outta' the chicken coup?"

*L
Old 09-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

Slammer is infamous around these parts
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
FSWarrior,

So are you saying,

"Keep the Crows outta' the chicken coup?"

*L
.....and wolves, buffalo, and bears...just kidding.

I only meant the songs, not the dancers. The singing of these songs in chicken is cheap.....let the crows be chickens*lol*
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,751.64
Quote:
They say the original prairie chicken dance songs were straight songs, not double beat. I was told the double beat thing was fairly recent... somewhere between the 40s and 70s - in that time span.

I spose it's important to say that they say this in Sask and that the they in question are Plains Cree next door to the Siksika.
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

Quote:
Do you all think it is okay to have crow hops, and duck and dives (CROW) sung for the chicken dance? .....
FSWarrior,

Leon Old Elk-Stewart can flat make a crow hop, duck and dive OR chicken dance song look ----- well --- "righteous!"
Old 09-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
She Who Plays with Wolves

Apache_Fancy_Shawl is a jewel in the rough
I have been dancing fancy shawl sence 1993 and jus recently they have been
giving us Crow hop songs, and words for grass dance but with a mens fancy beat.
whats up with that? I know how you feel in a way...... bu it is fun once in a while to have a change
And tonight itís only you and me
Apache_Fancy_Shawl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Fancy_Shawl
I have been dancing fancy shawl sence 1993 and jus recently they have been
giving us Crow hop songs, and words for grass dance but with a mens fancy beat.
whats up with that? I know how you feel in a way...... bu it is fun once in a while to have a change
Apach_F_S,

"Change is inevitable. But when too many changes occur, tradition will become a memory!"

Who decides when there is too much change?

If we continue to mix songs with dances at the current rate . . . the following combinations ARE possible:

> A Jingle dress side step song for a Mens Fancy category
> A duck and dive song to the Golden Age Women category
> An Oklahoma ruffle song for the northern traditional categories

etc, and so on.

WHEN DOES IT STOP?????
Old 10-22-2005, 03:47 AM   #8
kodabear

tradishinjun is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking What do I know?

All I know is that chicken dancers are way cool! Also, crow double-beats and duk-n-dives should be sung for crow-belt specials. Chicken Dance has its own style of songs,such as, medium fast straight songs.I've only been dancing for 25 years, so what do I know!
tradishinjun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

opwaaganasin is a jewel in the rough
all i know

"The Crow style integration is nice, however, it is kind of boring. At some pow wows, there are hardly any original chicken dance beat songs sung.(eg. the double beat.) This, I think, is the singers fault. The singers should start making up some new chicken beats, these ancient Crow style songs are not cutting it. I think it would also be nice to keep Crow Songs only for Crow Dance Styles, and not to place them into chicken, jingle, traditional"

all i know is it is the CROW that started using these dubbo beat songs for other categories. erryone else just picked it up cuz thats all you get for 2nd songs at crow fair. the reason dubbo beats are always sang for chicken, is because chicken, round bustle, and crow style are usually lumped into one category at most powwows. like when you see leon in the midwest, he represents his crow style to the fullest in chicken dance category. same with sonny eagle speaker and his round bustle style.
opwaaganasin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
CrowStyle

Jace RB Old Elk is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Flagstaff, AZ and Tonalea slash also called Red Lake. and Crow Agency during Crow Fair
chicken

Ya ive heard that a lot about how are duck n dive
and Crow Hop are used a lot in the chicken dance
group. To me its fine just got to adapt to the new
i guess. Go hard or go home. If your a dancer you
should be able to dance to any style of song.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:56 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

topchicken is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you want to know why, original chickens don`t dance to duck and dive?

Because when we hear the gun shots, we run like hell , just kidding. Leave the duck and dive to the crows and to the round bustles dancers. Have you ever heard of a slow chicken? Back in the day, real chicken dance songs have always been fast.
topchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
Alabama Chicken Dancer

Crowmagnum will become famous soon enough
Here in Bama, theres only a few Chicken dancers but I have yet to dance to a duck and dive song. We save that for the traditional guys.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #13
1 big singer

firestarsinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking jess this is josh

hey whats up Idid not know u did not like dancin to the crow songs,hit me up i got a song i want u to hear
firestarsinger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #14
is rockin & rollin \m/

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,397.87
Savings: 52.80
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchicken
Because when we hear the gun shots, we run like hell , just kidding. Leave the duck and dive to the crows and to the round bustles dancers. Have you ever heard of a slow chicken? Back in the day, real chicken dance songs have always been fast.
Duck and Dive is a Veterans Song and should be left for the vets to dance alone, afterall, its what the song is about, duck and dive from bullets and being shot at, and being in war...none of what prolly most dancers even know anything about... save for a few vets who might be out there dancing.

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Come on Rez Dawg, you can make it, just another step to go....
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #15
stater chick

stater chick is a jewel in the rough
yeah true crow songs should be sung for tha crows but..... they look better when a chicken dancer puts tha moves on them!!!
stater chick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #16
CrowStyle

Jace RB Old Elk is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Flagstaff, AZ and Tonalea slash also called Red Lake. and Crow Agency during Crow Fair
Smoothness of the Crow Style not boring

[QUOTE=Slammer;669236]Do you all think it is okay to have crow hops, and du I think its about being virsitile and to be able to dance whatevers thrown at you in your style of dance. If they feel its of as a singer then it must approte. We wouldn't have a Pow Wow if wasn't for the singers. They have a idea for whats right. There's places and times were people like to here my Peoples(Appsolooke) songs. Maybe if you don't like our style of songs then don't go were u know they won't be singing them. They have a CD out for just Chicken songs so maybe you can pick that up and you'll feel better. Cause I seem to adapet to any song weather I'm dancing Crow Style, Men's Northern Tradish, our Chicken dancing.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Contest Coordinator

Items Devil
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,966.38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace RB Old Elk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
Do you all think it is okay to have crow hops, and du I think its about being virsitile and to be able to dance whatevers thrown at you in your style of dance. If they feel its of as a singer then it must approte. We wouldn't have a Pow Wow if wasn't for the singers. They have a idea for whats right. There's places and times were people like to here my Peoples(Appsolooke) songs. Maybe if you don't like our style of songs then don't go were u know they won't be singing them. They have a CD out for just Chicken songs so maybe you can pick that up and you'll feel better. Cause I seem to adapet to any song weather I'm dancing Crow Style, Men's Northern Tradish, our Chicken dancing.
Crow style is the least respected category out there, you guys are always force to dance with some other group. I'm glad to see when crow style dancers place. Keep dancing hard!

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
[email protected]

Last edited by ndnsooner; 04-22-2010 at 04:02 PM..
ndnsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links