Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robby

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Chicken Dance Desecration...or...unique? Desecration...or...unique?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Powwow King

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
Savings: 0.00
Desecration...or...unique?

Hello Everyone,

I'm quite familiar with the history and origins of the chicken dance category. I'm switching from traditional to chicken and want to know what you think. Because this dance is considered a traditional dance, I know their are certain ethics and protocol to it. My question is, would it be, in your opinion, okay to wear a feathered hat (made of eagle) with two pheasant feathers on the top.

My main ideas when I first thought about it was the fact that many chicken dancers use bright and neon colors, which are a variation and a modern twist to the old style dancing (which I'm sure are frowned upon by some anyhow).

Thoughts?

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm quite familiar with the history and origins of the chicken dance category. I'm switching from traditional to chicken and want to know what you think. Because this dance is considered a traditional dance, I know their are certain ethics and protocol to it. My question is, would it be, in your opinion, okay to wear a feathered hat (made of eagle) with two pheasant feathers on the top.

My main ideas when I first thought about it was the fact that many chicken dancers use bright and neon colors, which are a variation and a modern twist to the old style dancing (which I'm sure are frowned upon by some anyhow).

Thoughts?
Current chicken protocol has the roach as the approved headdress. Since chicken has a very strong "traditional" base in Alberta, you may run into problems/issues if you attempt to deviate from the accepted headdress. I can only think of one chicken dancer who does not wear a roach (he wear's a top hat). "Traditional" dances have always been colorful, don't assume "pink" is modern ("flourescent pink" might be, but it is still in the pink family and thus traditional).

Depending on the chicken traditons you follow, certain feathers may or may not be allowed. I suggest before you switch that you interact more with true chickens and learn about the traditons of the dance. I believe that you will learn from them that it is not your place to innovate. But, you never know, but you should ask and learn first.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder View Post
would it be, in your opinion, okay to wear a feathered hat (made of eagle) with two pheasant feathers on the top.

red,

Sure it would be okay! .... on Mars!*L

It is not okay to just be starting out and change tradition.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
fancy feather dancer

robby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 94.00
Savings: 1.00
des or uni

I am from the blackfeet tribe of browning and our confederacy of tribes reaches across the us/canada border. I believe feather hats come from around the mandan area. You typed that you were familiar with the dance. Then you would know how the people got the dance and it is from a society. We are taught not to wear eagle feathers while chicken dancing. It represents a different bird than the eagle. I wonder if you are dancing for the real purppose or trying to put on a show. just commenting there are no official indians here. oki
rezcar3 likes this.
robby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
just commenting there are no official indians here. oki
Yeah - just all us unofficial ndnz here on powwows.com
lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I am from the blackfeet tribe of browning and our confederacy of tribes reaches across the us/canada border. I believe feather hats come from around the mandan area. You typed that you were familiar with the dance. Then you would know how the people got the dance and it is from a society. We are taught not to wear eagle feathers while chicken dancing. It represents a different bird than the eagle. I wonder if you are dancing for the real purppose or trying to put on a show. just commenting there are no official indians here. oki
There are ndns in Canada?
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Contest Coordinator

Items Devil
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,966.38
I've met a chicken dancer that wears a top hat, I've never asked him why he wears it. It looks good on him and left it at that. I know a lot of chicken dancers, some are innovative and willing to try out new things or try to bring back some old things. They always look sharp. Then while others stick to a style that they are comfortable with and have the same look year after year. They also look sharp every time you see them dance.

If you want to try something different, do some research, ask somebody or even have a good reason why that you are wearing something. I know with chicken dancers everything that a dancer wears has a meaning, a purpose or is symbolic to them, their tribe, their family or their society. If your gonna ask somebody, by all means ask somebody that is knowledgeable about chicken dance. There are a lot of chicken dancers that don't have a clue about the histories of the dance. I am by know means an expert either, I have a lot of good friends that have shared their knowledge with me.

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
[email protected]
ndnsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
songs have endings?

Buck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 93.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnsooner View Post
I've met a chicken dancer that wears a top hat, I've never asked him why he wears it. It looks good on him and left it at that. I know a lot of chicken dancers, some are innovative and willing to try out new things or try to bring back some old things. They always look sharp. Then while others stick to a style that they are comfortable with and have the same look year after year. They also look sharp every time you see them dance.

If you want to try something different, do some research, ask somebody or even have a good reason why that you are wearing something. I know with chicken dancers everything that a dancer wears has a meaning, a purpose or is symbolic to them, their tribe, their family or their society. If your gonna ask somebody, by all means ask somebody that is knowledgeable about chicken dance. There are a lot of chicken dancers that don't have a clue about the histories of the dance. I am by know means an expert either, I have a lot of good friends that have shared their knowledge with me.
I'd ask that one guy, you know, that one chicken dancer, the one that knows all those other ones, that guy.
Buck D. Offt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Banned

Paowallu is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
hello guys ...

its really nice post....

i just liked it....

thanks...
Paowallu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
songs have endings?

Buck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond reputeBuck D. Offt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 93.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paowallu View Post
hello guys ...

its really nice post....

i just liked it....

thanks...
Will you be my facebook friend? That would be keen. My dance team advisor Mark and my friend Rusty both have more friends than me. My other friend Jethro says I won't get very many. So anyone want to friend me?
Buck D. Offt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links