Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree5Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com An Argument with a Native American An Argument with a Native American

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 57,873.06
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooGardens View Post
Fifth..

Europeans can't seem to grasp the concept that just because my ancestors came from Europe...
doesn't mean that my NEEDS in life are the same as what people in Europe need...
It doesn't mean that my culture and the way that I see the world, is from Europe..

it doesn't mean that Everything that Europe makes, is effective here in America.

It doesn't mean that my culture and beliefs and way of life is the same as it is in Europe.

I am departed from Europe... they can't grasp it.

You seem to have some animus toward Europeans too. Or did you mean Native people?

I gather you're born and breed in the US. Of course you're not German, British, French, Greek or whatever in your view point. Native intellectual property influenced/s American culture. Just as Old World intellectual property influenced us. While we all retain significant proportions of our natal cultural worldview, we are also all new creatures, products of the Colombian exchange.

As an iyeska who sees much the admire in both "worlds," I weep for what we could have built together. For what we've both lost. For what could have been had everyone involved -- Native and non-- been true to the instruction the Creator gave their people. And I pray for what our children will build together.

Humans look back at their history to make sense of their present, to learn from their past, and to reflect on their values. Unfortunately history is made by deeply flawed humans. In the heat of the moment people mostly try to do what they think is right. But, that right is formed within the framework of their culture and their circumstances.

The cowboys and Indians, black and white version of history is dangerous. If we look back without trying to understand why people did what they did and what those decisions meant within the framework of their time and culture, not ours, we condemn ourselves to never being able to learn from the past. Humans are experts of self delusion. If we don't deal with the events of the past in their full color, with, if not sympathy, at least understanding for all sides, we will never recognize it when we trot merrily down the same pathway.
Broken Arrow likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 05-27-2018 at 12:01 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

ZooGardens is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 283.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
The homeland security bumper sticker is humor. It isn't a statement about the appropriateness of the US response 9/11. You're supposed to look at it, laugh and think yeah, maybe that is how Native people viewed their warriors.

Please place this with in context. Native people have served in every war since the Revolutionary War. As a percentage of their population, Native people serve in the military at a higher rate than any other group. For the most part Native people are about as patriotic as they come. Veterans -- Native and non -- are honored in social gatherings and ceremonies. This land a gift from the Creator. Fighting to defend it is natural.

Of course you may just want to get mad at me. I have a variation of that sticker on my tool chest. :)
No I'm not mad at you...
and btw, thanks.
ZooGardens is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #23
Pow Wow Visitor

ZooGardens is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 283.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
The homeland security bumper sticker is humor. It isn't a statement about the appropriateness of the US response 9/11. You're supposed to look at it, laugh and think yeah, maybe that is how Native people viewed their warriors.

Please place this with in context. Native people have served in every war since the Revolutionary War. As a percentage of their population, Native people serve in the military at a higher rate than any other group. For the most part Native people are about as patriotic as they come. Veterans -- Native and non -- are honored in social gatherings and ceremonies. This land a gift from the Creator. Fighting to defend it is natural.

Of course you may just want to get mad at me. I have a variation of that sticker on my tool chest. :)
The appropriateness of the USA's response to 9/11 is non existent..
Our response to 9/11 was to swallow the George Bush pills whole while he goes after oil for Haliburton, and profits for Blackwater, and his Enron scams.

We never once responded to 9/11, to this day.
ZooGardens is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

ChildrenFromTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,703.98
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWHxPxH08Q

This is only a really small part of it.... though there are really crafty answers to it by TJ Kirk.
Of course, it's buzzfeed... All that "tea" when up to their head, tea logging themselves.

I payed attention through TJ Kirk's reaction soon after and really showed them up though I didn't agree with his statement regarding the European settlers to the Americas as "superior in terms of weaponry, technology..." when this is far from the truth. Part of the issue is what exactly is commonly considered and percieved as "Native American" by the public. For instance, the Meshika (Aztecs), Inca, Inuit, First Nations, Yanomami, and Mayans. Are they Native Americans?

They most certainly are in its proper, technical definition. They just aren't legally defined as Native Americans in the USA since they aren't federally recognized and never will be for they didn't exist within the current borders of the US ever since it and its current borders were established.

Quote:
https://www.zazzle.com/homeland_secu...89977954688108

I found this on somebody's car... literally... and I said...
Hey, you can always leave if you don't like the idea that we have the right to the benefits of having a government during a global crisis.

That's how this all started.
Unfortunately for you, but fortunately for me, I love that meme as it's so true to Native Americans in the past!

I find you are misinterpreting the meme though. Long story short, "'Twas just a joke!" as @OLChemist nutshellingly addresses upon you.

I recall you mentioning your discontent towards Amerinds who denounce the existence/right for the USA to exist for this is related to the point of the meme. There are indeed Amerinds who take the meme seriously to where they promote harsh anti-USA sentiments. Not that I'm one of them, but say I had a time machine so I'm granted the chance to revise history. So I decide to revise the impact of post-1492 European colonialism in the Americas in a way that the Amerinds maintain their status and progress from that moment on up to this very day. I'd be willing to take such action, even if it costs the existence of the USA. Mind you the USA wouldn't be the only nation to cease existence if it weren't for colonialism. Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Guatemala, Argentina, Haiti, Cuba, all current nations in the Americas wouldn't exist at all without colonialism.

Obviously, there's nothing I can do about it now, but no matter against me. You can still act in the present to construct the future and history. As an Amerind, I say we Amerinds should eventually secede from not only the USA, but from all aforementioned nations currently existing in the Americas and establish our own independent countries/nations that reflect upon our own traditional, cultural and societal values and aspects existing pre-1492 and distinct from the ones imposed upon us via colonialism and non-Amerind foreign immigration (to a lesser extent) so long as they don't interfere with values solely for "practical/pragmatic" purposes.
ChildrenFromTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links