PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Ask PowWows.com (http://forums.powwows.com/f73/)
-   -   Can white people dance at powwows? (http://forums.powwows.com/f73/can-white-people-dance-powwows-69088/)

Montanaa 01-19-2015 05:35 PM

Can white people dance at powwows?
 
Hi there! I am Montana, 14 years old:)
I'm new to this site. I stumbled upon it while researching about powwows!:) Alright, so I have a question...
Are white people allowed to dance at powwows? I am 'white,' but my mom is native and I have my status card and tribal ID. I've always wanted to dance at a powwow, but I really am not wanting to offend anymore or look like a wannabe there! My mom was a powwow dancer when she was younger. I took after my dads side- blonde hair, but I have my moms face shape and eyes.
My grandma wanted me to, because she is known among the native community around here, but I am too worried.


Sorry if I offend anyone! I asked something like this on Yahoo and got attacked o.o

Best regards!

wardancer 01-19-2015 08:02 PM

This has been discussed here before and most of the time whatever answer is given is not the answer you expect. LOL

Anyone can dance at an inter-tribal powwow. With that said , there will always be some who object.

Now , my question to you : If your mother is native and your grand-mother is native , why do you identify yourself as white ? I am not a full-blood , but I identify as native. My grandmother always said "you are either ndn or not , there is no in between"

It seems to me if you have your tribal ID , then do what you want ! It says you're native.

wanjica_the_one 01-20-2015 10:08 AM

If your grandmother really wanted you to dance. She would have gotten your regalia together and you wouldn't be here asking, you would be dancing.

AmigoKumeyaay 01-20-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montanaa (Post 1614401)
Hi there! I am Montana, 14 years old:)
I'm new to this site. I stumbled upon it while researching about powwows!:) Alright, so I have a question...
Are white people allowed to dance at powwows? I am 'white,' but my mom is native and I have my status card and tribal ID. I've always wanted to dance at a powwow, but I really am not wanting to offend anymore or look like a wannabe there! My mom was a powwow dancer when she was younger. I took after my dads side- blonde hair, but I have my moms face shape and eyes.
My grandma wanted me to, because she is known among the native community around here, but I am too worried.
Sorry if I offend anyone! I asked something like this on Yahoo and got attacked o.o

Best regards!

You are 14 years old? Welcome to the forum. Did you talk with your mom about the Yahoo
"attack"?

You say your mom is Native, and used to powwow.

You say that you've always wanted to dance powwow.

.....If your grandmother is known around the community, don't they also know YOU?

Don't you know any other teenagers that dance powwow? Your Cousins, or Aunties, uncles?

You list all these connections, but you call yourself "white". Hmmm....

What dance style would you dance? What drum groups you like?

subeeds 01-21-2015 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1614402)
This has been discussed here before and most of the time whatever answer is given is not the answer you expect. LOL

Anyone can dance at an inter-tribal powwow. With that said , there will always be some who object.

Now , my question to you : If your mother is native and your grand-mother is native , why do you identify yourself as white ? I am not a full-blood , but I identify as native. My grandmother always said "you are either ndn or not , there is no in between"

It seems to me if you have your tribal ID , then do what you want ! It says you're native.

This^^^^. I don't understand. If people know your family, why don't they know you, also?

Joe's Dad 01-21-2015 11:00 AM

You see. This is why people don't come back. You gave them these rude answers and you make them feel bad.

Joe's Dad 01-21-2015 11:01 AM

Just saying.

This is me ---->:angel:

AmigoKumeyaay 01-21-2015 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1614446)
You see. This is why people don't come back. You gave them these rude answers and you make them feel bad.

.
We don't want to be Jerks...now do we? :lol:

AmigoKumeyaay 01-21-2015 04:34 PM

just kidding !!! ^^^^

AmigoKumeyaay 01-21-2015 04:36 PM

Maybe we got CATFISHED ?

Montanaa 07-25-2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1614407)
You are 14 years old? Welcome to the forum. Did you talk with your mom about the Yahoo
"attack"?

You say your mom is Native, and used to powwow.

You say that you've always wanted to dance powwow.

.....If your grandmother is known around the community, don't they also know YOU?

Don't you know any other teenagers that dance powwow? Your Cousins, or Aunties, uncles?

You list all these connections, but you call yourself "white". Hmmm....

What dance style would you dance? What drum groups you like?


Hi, sorry for the months late reply... I kind of forgot my password on here and forgot about the site afterwards and just found it again...
It's because my mom stopped dancing when we moved away from my Grandma.I don't know why.
My grandma lives several hours away from us so I don't know the people she knows that well as I visit every so often.
A few of my Aunts dance but they too, live far... well, across Canada from me, to be exact.

And haha, I don't know what to call it. Mixed-raced? Native?

AmigoKumeyaay 07-25-2015 09:24 PM

No worries...

thanks for getting back.

I grew up all over, apart from blood relatives, and culture.


All good, things will work out for you!

OLChemist 07-25-2015 10:31 PM

Welcome back.

As I suspect you already know, phenotype doesn't make an Indian. Nor does paper. Indian relatives and community enculturating you make an Indian. Sounds like you've got that down.

However, as we fair skinned mixed bloods know -- just like our dark-skinned kin -- phenotype is often the first thing strangers use to sort people into "us" and "them" categories. Reflecting on the mists of prehistory, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I seem to recall that at 14 I found it pretty important to fit into the right "us" group. At that age, there was little worse than feeling like the oddball, except being singled out as the misfit. I'm not putting you down for this.

If you are concerned about not fitting in, then I would suggest getting your family to help you out. Perhaps they could get you some tobacco to take to some respected local dancers in the style you want to dance. Take you time and talk to them, maybe you can find a mentor to guide you into the circle. Under the tutelage of an established dancer, you're less likely to face judgement or commit a faux pas when entering the circle.

That is this old lady's free advice. It may only be worth exactly what you paid for it, LOL.

whitecoyote 07-29-2015 05:30 AM

Go Dancing
 
I am non Indian and have been dancing powwow since I was 11. Before I attend a powwow I usually call the contact phone number just to ensure that it is an "open" powwow and that anybody can dance. I've never been turned down, in fact, I've never even heard of a "closed" powwow.

It's been a long time since I have danced in Montana but I remember that the people I met there were very friendly and no one got in my face. By all legal definitions, you seem to be Indian, in fact but remember, blonde hair does not a white man make.

Go dancing and stop thinking about what other people are thinking. Just Dance!
White Coyote

Montanaa 08-04-2015 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone!
I will move forth with being a dancer:) I spot to my mom and she is all up for it as long as I am! Once again, thank you!!!!

Wakayosis 08-06-2015 03:05 PM

You said your family was scattered across Canada? If you are living in one of the bigger Canadian cities you can always drop in at one of the Friendship Centres (aboriginal community centre).

They often have after school/weekend/summer activities for kids. Some even have dancing classes! One place to start. And as most have said, you have "one foot in the door" and are part First Nation, by all means, learn about who you are and your culture!

Good luck!

Montanaa 08-07-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakayosis (Post 1620146)
You said your family was scattered across Canada? If you are living in one of the bigger Canadian cities you can always drop in at one of the Friendship Centres (aboriginal community centre).

They often have after school/weekend/summer activities for kids. Some even have dancing classes! One place to start. And as most have said, you have "one foot in the door" and are part First Nation, by all means, learn about who you are and your culture!

Good luck!

It turns out there is a Friendship Centre near me! Thank you!!! I will talk to my mom about it! This helped a lot!!

jack2011 08-31-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montanaa (Post 1614401)

Are white people allowed to dance at powwows?

Yes (at least, at some powwows).
I have seen (100 %) white, blonde-blue eyed whites..... (100%) Black (born in Trinidad, not 1 drop of NDN blood in him) dance at the Six Nations Pow Wow. Not during the Inter-tribal, but in full regalia during competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1614402)

Anyone can dance at an inter-tribal powwow. With that said , there will always be some who object.

Yes.
The practice should be outlawed. Why invite whites and othe non-NDN's to to sully the circle.
In fact, why allow whites and others to attend Pow Wows at all.
Pow Wows = for NDN's only. Stamp out Wannabes (these can go to Germany for their Pow Wows).
:omg_smile

wardancer 08-31-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack2011 (Post 1620736)
In fact, why allow whites and others to attend Pow Wows at all.
Pow Wows = for NDN's only. Stamp out Wannabes (these can go to Germany for their Pow Wows).

:omg_smile

So I guess you'll have to form some ndn police to decide who's ndn and who isn't........sounds like a purist idea.....hmmmm kinda like Hitler !:hypnotize

White Powwow Dancer 08-31-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack2011 (Post 1620736)
Yes (at least, at some powwows).
I have seen (100 %) white, blonde-blue eyed whites..... (100%) Black (born in Trinidad, not 1 drop of NDN blood in him) dance at the Six Nations Pow Wow. Not during the Inter-tribal, but in full regalia during competition.



Yes.
The practice should be outlawed. Why invite whites and othe non-NDN's to to sully the circle.
In fact, why allow whites and others to attend Pow Wows at all.
Pow Wows = for NDN's only. Stamp out Wannabes (these can go to Germany for their Pow Wows).
:omg_smile

What happens when they are married to indians are the booted out?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC