• 2 Post By Grits & Beans
  • 4 Post By LISA IRONMAKER
  • 2 Post By lbgood
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By LISA IRONMAKER
  • 2 Post By LISA IRONMAKER
  • 4 Post By milehighsalute
  • 2 Post By WhoMe

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Cheyenne Rain Dance? Cheyenne Rain Dance?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Bodean is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 109.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Cheyenne Rain Dance?

Can anyone tell me if the rain dance is part of the Cheyenne tradition?

I'm writing a short story about a little boy. In honor of my father-in-law, I intend to cast the hero as a Cheyenne boy. However, the story involves a rain dance. My father-in-law has passed and has no living relatives except my wife and son (who have no knowledge of Cheyenne culture), so I have no one to ask. I have tried researching online and have found no information, which leads me to believe that it is not a tradition, but I'm hoping I am wrong.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Bodean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 69,200.28
Savings: 1.00
You are wrong. There is no "rain dance" in the Cheyenne tradition.

Oh yeah , welcome to powwows.com ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 08-05-2014 at 01:41 PM..
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70,340.46
First, welcome to powwows.com

With all due respect please, understand how throughly stereotypical the trope of Indians rain dancing is. It's up there with African Americans and watermelon, or Hispanics wearing a sambero and sleeping against a cactus, or white people having no culture of their own, so they have to steal other peoples'.... I hope you did not mean it this way, but your request is akin to me announcing: "I'd like to write a book about a Catholic altar boy and my story involves ritual cannibalism. What's up with this blood and body of Christ, transubstantiation thing?"

Like my non-Indian, Nebraska farmer relatives or just about anybody facing a drought, Native people pray for rain. Just as we -- and they -- pray for many other things.

I would suggest, if you are ignorant of Cheyenne culture that it is unlike you will actually honor your father-in-law or his culture. Instead, it is far more likely you will simply add another layer of waxy, distortion build up. In the mists of prehistory when I took advanced composition in college, I was told to write what I know. I believe that it is perfectly possible for non-Native writers to create believable, realistic and non-stereotypical Native characters. But, those who do, have lasting and intimate connections to our communities and families. They have built knowledge and respect; they did not do three hours -- or even three weeks -- of research on the internet.

I suspect, I will now be called a racist, rude big green meanie. Oh, well.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
First, welcome to powwows.com

With all due respect please, understand how throughly stereotypical the trope of Indians rain dancing is. It's up there with African Americans and watermelon, or Hispanics wearing a sambero and sleeping against a cactus, or white people having no culture of their own, so they have to steal other peoples'.... I hope you did not mean it this way, but your request is akin to me announcing: "I'd like to write a book about a Catholic altar boy and my story involves ritual cannibalism. What's up with this blood and body of Christ, transubstantiation thing?"

Like my non-Indian, Nebraska farmer relatives or just about anybody facing a drought, Native people pray for rain. Just as we -- and they -- pray for many other things.

I would suggest, if you are ignorant of Cheyenne culture that it is unlike you will actually honor your father-in-law or his culture. Instead, it is far more likely you will simply add another layer of waxy, distortion build up. In the mists of prehistory when I took advanced composition in college, I was told to write what I know. I believe that it is perfectly possible for non-Native writers to create believable, realistic and non-stereotypical Native characters. But, those who do, have lasting and intimate connections to our communities and families. They have built knowledge and respect; they did not do three hours -- or even three weeks -- of research on the internet.

I suspect, I will now be called a racist, rude big green meanie. Oh, well.
Dang , your answers are always so much better than mine ! LOL

I think you're just a racist, rude big green meanie !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Wait a minute. I think I saw a Cheyenne rain dance at the Colony 49 just about sun up?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
You are wrong. There is no "rain dance" in the Cheyenne tradition.

Oh yeah , welcome to powwows.com ! LOL
Oh quit holding on to them, its time to pass on those Cheyenne traditions, Oh BTW can you quit dancing already, its starting to flood

lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
LBGOOD2U

lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean View Post
Can anyone tell me if the rain dance is part of the Cheyenne tradition?

I'm writing a short story about a little boy. In honor of my father-in-law, I intend to cast the hero as a Cheyenne boy. However, the story involves a rain dance. My father-in-law has passed and has no living relatives except my wife and son (who have no knowledge of Cheyenne culture), so I have no one to ask. I have tried researching online and have found no information, which leads me to believe that it is not a tradition, but I'm hoping I am wrong.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Not to be mean, but how about writing a story about a little white boy and the traditions he grew up with, it would be something you would know more about? And post it here so we can read and learn.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Wait a minute. I think I saw a Cheyenne rain dance at the Colony 49 just about sun up?
Well , there was that 1 time .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgood View Post
Oh quit holding on to them, its time to pass on those Cheyenne traditions, Oh BTW can you quit dancing already, its starting to flood

Hey , just get you some taller boots !

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Bodean is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 109.00
Thank you for your feedback OLChemist and wardancer. No offense taken. While my ignorance is obvious, I do respect native cultures and have no desire to stereotype or spread misinformation. So I'm glad I found this forum and was able to get an answer to my question from wardancer so quickly.

I'm writing a rhyming children's story about self esteem that revolves around a single conversation between two characters, with a universal message. It's not at all about the culture of the boy and it doesn't pretend to teach anything about any traditions. The rain dance is not integral to the story, it's just something that would have been mentioned in the conversation in a positive light. At the risk of offending atheists, I will simply reference praying for rain. My intent for those few sentences is only to contrast how some people complain about rain while others wish for it, whether they dance or pray or threaten their local meteorologist.

Funny you should mention it, because I was raised as a cannibal but have since reformed.
Bodean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,829.89
He should write about the yellow pee dance.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #11
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,021.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Dang , your answers are always so much better than mine ! LOL

I think you're just a racist, rude big green meanie !
You forgot to add that she makes a mean chocolate cake-or so she says.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
When I was in grad school, I baked this thing 5-6 times a year for colleagues' birthdays.

Chocolate Pinion Nut Torte

Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom of an 8" springform pan with parchment paper. Grease lined pan well and dust with cocoa powder.

In a food process grind into a fine meal

3 Tbsp pinion nuts;
2 Tbsp of sugar;
2 Tbsp of flour.

In a double boiler melt:

3 oz semi-sweet chocolate;
2 Tbsp of cocoa powder;
5 Tbsp butter;
zest from one orange.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Beat to soft peaks:

4 egg white;
2 Tbsp sugar;
1/4 tsp salt.

Beat until doubled in volume and the mixture falls in a thick ribbon from the beaters:

4 egg yolks;
2 Tbsp sugar;

Incorporate 2 Tbsp of Triple Sec, Grand Marnier, Sabra Liqueur, Godiva Liqueur or orange juice.

Mix the pinion nut mixture into the still warm chocolate. By hand blend the chocolate mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Once throughly mixed fold in the egg whites.

Bake 25-30 minutes, until all but the very center of the cake is firm and springy.

Cool for 10 mins and run a knife around the edge and release the ring on the pan. Cool to room temperature and carefully peel off the parchment paper.

This is my modification of the recipe in Huntly Dent's Feast of Santa Fe: Cooking of the American Southwest; Simon and Schuster, 1985. I substitute cocoa powder and additional butter for unsweetened chocolate.

This cake is wicked sticky and clings to even non-stick springform pans. (I skipped the lining step once. I had to dig the cake out of the pan with a spoon, sprinkle it with more liqueur and orange juice, layer it with whipped cream and custard, and pretend I was English and serving a trifle.) The most intense flavor is achieved with Sabra, but it is good with any of the above flavorings. I think it has a better texture the second day.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,766.96
Chocolate cake is neat...
LISA IRONMAKER and windanncer like this.
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,209.88
Savings: 2.03
So we went from rain dances to chocolate cake.....
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
LBGOOD2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
So we went from rain dances to chocolate cake.....
Can I say candy Rain ..

Hey Moana_Lis wut up Chica
Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Conversational whiplash :)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #17
Pow Wow Committee

LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Can I say candy Rain ..

Hi lbgood....Im doing good and how are you doing? Yup, Moana_Lis is on da house, hehehehe. I should have had that has my name on here huh?
windanncer likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
Pow Wow Committee

Quote:
Can I say candy Rain ..

Hi lbgood How are you? Im good yup, Moana Lis in da house, hehehehe. I should of had that as my name on here huh?
Joe's Dad and windanncer like this.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #19
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
He should write about the yellow pee dance.
i done that one waiting for wardancer to hurry up at the porta-potty....wht the hell does that guy do in there?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #20
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Hmmm? I thought Cheyennes only had a "Sun" Dance?