Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Dancing in an Intertribal Dancing in an Intertribal

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ladyhawk316 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Dancing in an Intertribal

Would it be permissable for a "white" female to dance in an intertribal if there is a call from the MC for everyone to come and dance?
Should that person be smudged by sage before entering? (I would feel very uncomfortable if I wasn't, but that is just me.)
Ladyhawk316 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Savings: 1.00
Welcome to Powwows.com LadyHawk!

If the MC calls for everyone to dance, and if a woman (or man) is appropriately dressed (read that, not falling out of your top and/or bottoms), and if a person has watched others dance and can see how to do so respectfully, I would say go for it! I think it is appropriate for a woman to try to find a shawl to wear but I've seen that rule broken for things like blanket dances (where they're collecting money) and other such special occassions.

Smudging generally isn't required. I've been to dances where it seems that everyone is getting smudged and I've been to dances where nobody is smudged, at least in public. Those dances I've been to without the smudging greatly outweigh the dances with smudging.

My opinion is that if you're going to a powwow and think you might want to dance while there, wear some shoes, pants and a respectable shirt, enter the arena in good spirits, and try not to make a fool of yourself by imitating Kevin Costner. And if you're a woman, it shows good respect to wear a shawl.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure that others on this board will have something to add!

Last edited by hobbs49; 04-07-2008 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Because I can
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Senior Dancer

Dyami has a reputation beyond repute
Dyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond reputeDyami has a reputation beyond repute
When there is a Intertribal Dance all are welcome as long as they are being respectful. Make sure you listen to the MC and follow the directions and also make sure that pay attention to alot of the others and you will be able to follow along.

Which Hobbs49 has explained above.
Dyami is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Ditto on what Hobbs49 said and may I add
The Intertribal dance is a NON-Formal way to get people up and go out and dance.
Usually the MC will say to people that they can come out and dance even if they are not in ndn clothes, You can even just walk if you feel confortable doing that

Please do not try the "Dunbar" (Kevin Costner reference)!!!

As for smudging
I seen that a few times in the east at powwows for people entering the arena
That is not a common practice here in the west, in public anyways...

Its a good a good thing...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

SheTurtle is a name known to all
Credits: 999.17
Ditto on what everyone else has said. I've been to powwows where anyone was welcome to dance in an intertribal, and I've been to other powwows where intertribals are limited only to those in regalia, but audience members can dance in social dances such as the round dance. It depends on the powwow.

Be respectful, get a shawl if you can, and don't go into the arena half-naked. Listen to the MC and don't start taking pictures of everybody in the arena while they are dancing, much less stop someone and ask them to pose for a picture during the intertribal.
SheTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,654.90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTurtle View Post
Listen to the MC and don't start taking pictures of everybody in the arena while they are dancing, much less stop someone and ask them to pose for a picture during the intertribal.
double ditto on that! *LOL*
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Indian women don't dance during a certain time of month. I always have wondered why emcees don't announce that for spectators coming in. You know some of them are.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
walk your talk

tiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond repute
tiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 413.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
Indian women don't dance during a certain time of month. I always have wondered why emcees don't announce that for spectators coming in. You know some of them are.
i was getting ready to announce that here... althought they said that i could dance outside the circle when i was invited an told to dance by an elder... an i told them that... an they told me to dance outside the circle... :P

i sat down an watched everyone else

sometimes you have to live life as if what everyone else thinks does not matter, but is still a factor...
that even though you think you are so lost, you may be found...
no matter what comes in your life, it will be over come...
and that the real reason that you live is for love, and finding inner peace...
live free for what its worth an never let life hold you back from living
One person can make a difference----lets all of us give it a try.--- john f. Kennedy

other places u can find me...

]htt://www.myspace.com/hawkredfeather630
www.facebook.com/redfeather630
tiffany redfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyhawk316 View Post
Should that person be smudged by sage before entering? (I would feel very uncomfortable if I wasn't, but that is just me.)
You should smudge in private. Don't make a spectacle out of smudging and if you forget to smudge, say a prayer.
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Ladyhawk316 is a jewel in the rough
Thank You!

Beautiful! Thank you very much for all of your replies! It is most appreciated!
Ladyhawk316 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #11
walk your talk

tiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond repute
tiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond reputetiffany redfeather has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 413.53
i know where you are coming from. ive been looked at very strangely when ive smudged and someone seen me. i normally do it in my tent

sometimes you have to live life as if what everyone else thinks does not matter, but is still a factor...
that even though you think you are so lost, you may be found...
no matter what comes in your life, it will be over come...
and that the real reason that you live is for love, and finding inner peace...
live free for what its worth an never let life hold you back from living
One person can make a difference----lets all of us give it a try.--- john f. Kennedy

other places u can find me...

]htt://www.myspace.com/hawkredfeather630
www.facebook.com/redfeather630
tiffany redfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #12
Junior Dancer

handgame_native is a name known to all
Intertribals are nice....people just dancing to dance. Have fun.
handgame_native is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Halito!

New2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! I have learned a lot from this! Can anyone think of anything else they would tell a woman going to her first Intertribal? I am scared to death I am going to do something horrifyingly wrong and disrespectful! Also, would someone explain more about the smudging?
New2itall is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
Teen Dancer

Kaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant future
Credits: 4,123.81
Deleted

Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Deleted
Kaina1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2itall View Post
Also, would someone explain more about the smudging?
No! I think that what you read above is more than enough, why is it that the wasicu always asks for more?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #16
Halito!

New2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you Kaina 1128! That is what I thought,as I have used sage at home, I was just unsure of the Pow Wow purpose. But, I LOVE the way you put it! 409 indeed!
New2itall is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

gurskea is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyhawk316 View Post
Would it be permissable for a "white" female to dance in an intertribal if there is a call from the MC for everyone to come and dance?
Yeah it's okay. If the MC says that the audience can join in by all means do it. However, I was taught that when going out there to where a shawl. THough some tribes are different..to whatever powwow you go to that is something that you should ask about.
If you feel uncomfortable going out there without being smudged, then smudge. But, just make sure that you understand what smudging really is for.
gurskea is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Cherokeewolf1368 is infamous around these parts
Savings: 34.32
Inter -tribal

When The Mc Asks Everyone To Dance...have Yourself Smudged ...either Borrow Or Have A Shawl To Cover Your Shoulders..the People There Will Help You...if You Need A Shawl..smudged...or Feather Fan...when The Mc Aasks The People To Join If You Have A Loved One In The Service...know Of Someone...and Other...died...join In...the Arbor Is Very Strong..medicine For Healing...just Don't Go In The Arbor In Bare Feet...and Best Of All...relax And Have The Spirits...guide You...cherokeewolf...
Cherokeewolf1368 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeewolf1368 View Post
When The Mc Asks Everyone To Dance...have Yourself Smudged ...either Borrow Or Have A Shawl To Cover Your Shoulders..the People There Will Help You...if You Need A Shawl..smudged...or Feather Fan...when The Mc Aasks The People To Join If You Have A Loved One In The Service...know Of Someone...and Other...died...join In...the Arbor Is Very Strong..medicine For Healing...just Don't Go In The Arbor In Bare Feet...and Best Of All...relax And Have The Spirits...guide You...cherokeewolf...

Have yourself smudged? Shawl..smudged..or feather fan? Know of someone..and other..died? I really think that you have one too many spirits.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by they_drag_him View Post
Have yourself smudged? Shawl..smudged..or feather fan? Know of someone..and other..died? I really think that you have one too many spirits.

LOL - dang, I was thinking the same thing. What tha?
Ivanasnagu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links