PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Ask PowWows.com (http://forums.powwows.com/f73/)
-   -   Doing a Pocahontas Research Project (http://forums.powwows.com/f73/doing-pocahontas-research-project-70993/)

Prismacolor 04-26-2018 08:49 PM

Doing a Pocahontas Research Project

Hi everyone, I'm a student in an American Lit class doing research on the real, un-glamorized, un-Anglicized life of Matoaka / Pocahontas. I feel really compelled to find out more about her, but the last thing I want to do is misrepresent her and the culture as a whole. I'm amassing a lot of sources, but I wanted to consult this forum to see if you guys might be able to share some of your knowledge and help me represent her accurately.

The project we have to do is a children's book, and so, there will be drawings in it. I can't seem to find a good source that talks about how Pocahontas really dressed (before she was in Europe). Do you guys have any insight on this?

Also, how might Pocahontas have dressed as a child? I am trying to illustrate major points throughout her whole life, so I want to be sure she's accurately dressed even as a kid.

Any information at all that you guys have on her or the culture in general that you think academic sources might miss would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

I'm so sorry if any of this comes off as invasive or ignorant, that isn't my intention whatsoever. Thanks so much, Pow Wow forums!

Josiah 05-02-2018 06:02 AM

Lol

ChildrenFromTheSun 05-02-2018 07:50 AM

You should be watching Disney's Pocahontas. It's 99.9% accurate :thumbsup: (the only .1% of inaccuracy was how the hell did Pocahontas fall in love with that bread-skinned squatter John Smith instead of that bad ace, beautiful bronze hunk of a man Kocoum!)

Joe's Dad 05-03-2018 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prismacolor (Post 1635727)
Hi everyone, I'm a student in an American Lit class doing research on the real, un-glamorized, un-Anglicized life of Matoaka / Pocahontas. I feel really compelled to find out more about her, but the last thing I want to do is misrepresent her and the culture as a whole. I'm amassing a lot of sources, but I wanted to consult this forum to see if you guys might be able to share some of your knowledge and help me represent her accurately.

The project we have to do is a children's book, and so, there will be drawings in it. I can't seem to find a good source that talks about how Pocahontas really dressed (before she was in Europe). Do you guys have any insight on this?

Also, how might Pocahontas have dressed as a child? I am trying to illustrate major points throughout her whole life, so I want to be sure she's accurately dressed even as a kid.

Any information at all that you guys have on her or the culture in general that you think academic sources might miss would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

I'm so sorry if any of this comes off as invasive or ignorant, that isn't my intention whatsoever. Thanks so much, Pow Wow forums!

Cool. What did you find out? Will you share it with us?

WhoMe 05-04-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prismacolor (Post 1635727)

If you are a serious researcher, come visit the National Museum of the American Indian exhibit "Americans." There is a gallery featuring the "real" Pocahontas complete with a timeline, illustrations and accurate information.

milehighsalute 05-10-2018 10:57 AM

if you wanna accurately account for us im gonna give you a few pointers

the term for us is NDNZ or if youre from the southwest "in-yins" or from plains its "injuns"

but technically we are called savage-americans.

as far as pocahottie goes......you gotta remember we are/were SAVAGES and did not wear clothes