Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Josiah
  • 2 Post By ChildrenFromTheSun

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Doing a Pocahontas Research Project Doing a Pocahontas Research Project

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Prismacolor is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 102.00
Savings: 0.00
Doing a Pocahontas Research Project

Hi everyone, I'm a student in an American Lit class doing research on the real, un-glamorized, un-Anglicized life of Matoaka / Pocahontas. I feel really compelled to find out more about her, but the last thing I want to do is misrepresent her and the culture as a whole. I'm amassing a lot of sources, but I wanted to consult this forum to see if you guys might be able to share some of your knowledge and help me represent her accurately.

The project we have to do is a children's book, and so, there will be drawings in it. I can't seem to find a good source that talks about how Pocahontas really dressed (before she was in Europe). Do you guys have any insight on this?

Also, how might Pocahontas have dressed as a child? I am trying to illustrate major points throughout her whole life, so I want to be sure she's accurately dressed even as a kid.

Any information at all that you guys have on her or the culture in general that you think academic sources might miss would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

I'm so sorry if any of this comes off as invasive or ignorant, that isn't my intention whatsoever. Thanks so much, Pow Wow forums!
Prismacolor is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 37,423.92
Savings: 1.00
Lol
Old 05-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

ChildrenFromTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,725.98
You should be watching Disney's Pocahontas. It's 99.9% accurate (the only .1% of inaccuracy was how the hell did Pocahontas fall in love with that bread-skinned squatter John Smith instead of that bad ace, beautiful bronze hunk of a man Kocoum!)

Last edited by ChildrenFromTheSun; 05-03-2018 at 10:25 PM..
ChildrenFromTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 114,738.68
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismacolor View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a student in an American Lit class doing research on the real, un-glamorized, un-Anglicized life of Matoaka / Pocahontas. I feel really compelled to find out more about her, but the last thing I want to do is misrepresent her and the culture as a whole. I'm amassing a lot of sources, but I wanted to consult this forum to see if you guys might be able to share some of your knowledge and help me represent her accurately.

The project we have to do is a children's book, and so, there will be drawings in it. I can't seem to find a good source that talks about how Pocahontas really dressed (before she was in Europe). Do you guys have any insight on this?

Also, how might Pocahontas have dressed as a child? I am trying to illustrate major points throughout her whole life, so I want to be sure she's accurately dressed even as a kid.

Any information at all that you guys have on her or the culture in general that you think academic sources might miss would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

I'm so sorry if any of this comes off as invasive or ignorant, that isn't my intention whatsoever. Thanks so much, Pow Wow forums!
Cool. What did you find out? Will you share it with us?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,502.21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismacolor View Post

If you are a serious researcher, come visit the National Museum of the American Indian exhibit "Americans." There is a gallery featuring the "real" Pocahontas complete with a timeline, illustrations and accurate information.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,595.67
if you wanna accurately account for us im gonna give you a few pointers

the term for us is NDNZ or if youre from the southwest "in-yins" or from plains its "injuns"

but technically we are called savage-americans.

as far as pocahottie goes......you gotta remember we are/were SAVAGES and did not wear clothes