Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Frenchman from Paris Frenchman from Paris

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Renard is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 122.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Frenchman from Paris

Hi everyone,

I'm Alexandre, 26, I'm French and I live in Paris.

I happen to speak pretty good English as I've studied the language in the university five years.

I've joined this forum because I'm really interested to learn more about the culture, traditions, history and way of life of Native Americans today.

To be honest, I'm particularly interested in how communities manage to transmit their heritage in our materialistic and globalized modern world.

I'd be extremely enthustiastic to exchange with any of the members on any subject, share our views and maybe talk on Skype if we have common interests!

Please let me know if I'm not in the right thread!

I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely yours,

Alexandre
Renard is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 55,364.31
Welcome to powwows.com.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 77,630.23
Welcome to Powwows.com

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Red Heathen is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 243.66
Talking

It is difficult. In a few of the old treaties, you'll read how the US government ceased the Indian Wars after most natives had been forced onto reservations. Their campaign of genocide was stopped because, as was said in some of these documents, that natives would eventually die out through assimilation. Many people have recently realized how dire an impact this situation of forced assimilation created.

A lot of what defines a people is found in their language. The loss of many languages has had terrible detrimental effects. Stories, cultures, histories, languages, beliefs, traditional clothing, gods, lack of gods, and more have been ripped from every tribe in the US. Some of us were lucky to keep some of it, and to my understanding, some of the tribes that weren't contacted until the mid- to late-1700s or even the 1800s were able to retain a little more of their identity. My people were able to keep our language, and just about everyone can speak it. There is nothing remembered about our beliefs, though. Many of our dances have been lost. A lot of our art as well, except for making baskets.

I can't speak about Canada or any peoples in Central or South America, but in the US, natives have the highest rates of suicide, domestic abuse, substance abuse/addiction, and more. People think that black males have the highest per capita rate of being shot and killed by cops, but that is wrong. Per capita, that honor goes to natives. We live in the poorest areas and have higher poverty rates. Natives can have their neighborhoods/lands infiltrated by law enforcement in ways that other demographics would never have to face.

If a lot of tribes didn't lose some of their identity with forced relocation or forced assimilation, then the after effects of living in such horrible forced conditions did a pretty good job of it.

All that said, around the 1970s there seemed to be an awakening. Or at least this is the way I remember it and have understood it. I was a little girl during this time. Indian schools were being shut down or changing. Civil Rights (1960s) finally came to the forefront of national politics. Natives began to have what I think is safe to say pride again.

I myself, my family, has lost three people because they weren't white. There was a lot of self and family abuse for decades. I don't know for how long, to be honest, because thankfully, things began to change during this time period. Maybe it is only based on my personal experiences that I can say the above, but from what I've read others say from other parts of the country, I think possibly this time period was an important time period.

Many peoples are fighting to save what little they know of their language, customs, beliefs, etc. Some is forever lost, but what does remain, we are fighting tooth and nail to keep! =)

It is very difficult to lead a truly traditional life for most people because that would mean no internet, no...IDK. A lot of luxuries that many of us have decided to keep in our lives. No ice cream! That would be terrible. It is hard to keep anything "pure", but really, was there ever a "pure" to begin with? All peoples would change. New technology comes up, such as changing to using stone to make a knife instead of bone, learning to make fire, etc, and a people begin using it. No one remains stagnate. I think I may have gone off on a tangent here. Sorry for that. I don't know how to get back on topic now...
Red Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links