Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By aussiegirl
  • 1 Post By LISA IRONMAKER
  • 4 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Hello from Australia Hello from Australia

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
aussiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 270.08
Savings: 0.00
Hello from Australia

i Everyone,

I live in Perth Western Australia. My friend and i will be travelling this time next year through the "route 66 " Chicago to LA.

I am wanting to learn as much as i can about cultural etiquette, the dos and dont's on our travels through your land ??

We are very respectful people, we just want to avoid doing or saying things that we would not have been made aware of.

I am wanting to bring gifts and finding a few issues with bringing anything of what i consider a genuine gift, something from Australia and something not purchased as in a touristy kind of gift.

I live near the beach and whilst i am cleaning the rubbish off the beach, she sometimes leaves awesome shells for me. So i was considering to bring these as gifts?? If they are allowed through customs of course.

I am here to learn as much as i can and i thank you very much in advance.
aussiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 69,154.02
Welcome to powwows.com

Hmmm... First, you are aware that in Dec you'll likely encounter occasional snow and ice. Up north, snow removal is pretty decent. But, in the south it can be dicey.

Now, some general guidelines for visiting Indian country and pueblos.

Dress modestly. Leave your camera and cell phone in your pocket. Turn off your phone while visiting pueblos and museums.

Use your company manners. In pueblos, even when you're in outdoor spaces, like plazas, etc, treat it like you're in someone's home. Obviously, don't enter homes unless invited. Over the years I've seen an amazing number of people, who wouldn't even think of walking up to a random house in their own neighborhood and going inside, poke their heads into hogans, pueblo homes, etc... Don't sit or climb on houses, walls etc. In addition to being rude, some of these structures are hundreds of years old and easily damaged.

Obey all instructions from your guides and/or signage. If an area is marked no entry don't go there, unless you want to meet the tribal police. In general, remain on main roads, on pueblos in particular, travel on other roads may be restricted to residents.

Indian people in these places are going about their lives. By and large, they are not cultural performers. Please don't assume they are. People are going to have differing tolerances for questions and explaining. Be prepared. Do not photograph people without their permission.

I highly recommend a trip to Acoma Pueblo. Check whether or not they're open before heading out there.

Acoma Pueblo Tourism website

Zuni is also very nice. The Inn at Halona gives you the unique opportunity to spend the night in a pueblo.

Zuni Tourism website
Ashiwi Museum
Inn at Halona

Shash Dinee Eco Retreat gives you a chance to intimately experience some aspects of Navajo life.

Shash Dinee Eco Retreat

You'll be near the Hopi towns. You might want to visit the cultural center.

Hopi Cultural Center

Last edited by OLChemist; 12-10-2018 at 12:23 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi OlChemist,

Thank you for your reply and the links !

Wow cant believe people would just walk up to peoples homes like that and be disrespectful, its a shame it needs to be said, sorry to hear that.

certainly i am aware that people are not performers, again sad that needs to be said, but i understand why now you have explained it.

In Australia we dont have tourism to that extent within the indigenous communities. Thankfully here the indigenous are now starting to own thier own businesses and these are tour guides away from the population and more on the land with sharing there culture and traditions and stories for people to have more understanding and respect for mother earth and the indigenous.

thank you for letting me know IF we are invited for a meal to not linger, we would have felt bad for leaving as soon as we had eaten as it was such a nice offering. Thank you for letting me know to wait before offering a gift and not immediately. I didnt know that would be uncomfortable.

I'm very grateful for your reply, thank you so much.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30,701.42
Savings: 2.03

Welcome to pws.com enjoy!!
alumphfres likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Savings: 1.00
Welcome. I wonder...do they make kangaroo jerky? Hope you enjoy yourself in the U.S. of A..
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
The answer would be a yes.

Kangaroo Jerky

Kangaroo Jerky
alumphfres likes this.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:58 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Hiiii ! and thank you
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi No i dont think we do. I will check it out though !
Old 12-13-2018, 02:02 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Ohh i see you found some. I think beef jerky would be much nicer, but im not a fan of kangaroo meat anyway.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:03 AM   #10
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 43,484.78
Welcome to the forum. In your travels, if you come across a place that serves bison burgers, try one. Bison is delicious, and I doubt it's too available down in Oz.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2018, 03:43 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi Subeeds,

Ok i will check it out for sure. I heard the buffalo jerky is really good too.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Since all conversations on powwows.com turn to food:

If at all possible, eat at Pueblo Harvest Cafe in the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center in Albuquerque.

Pueblo Harvest Cafe

or Y'aak’a Cafe at Acoma.

Y'aak’a Cafe
Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Awesome thanks.

Ok so i checked if i can bring in kangaroo jerky, it seems i can ! Has anyone tried vegemite ? It has to be eaten sparingly. If anyone gives you a big blob of it and asks you to eat it, they are not your friend.....
Old 12-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Enjoy --

Native Cuisine Video

Making blue corn mush

Navajo Blue Corn Mush Video

Making Piki

Making Piki Video

Piki Video

Green Chile Stew

Pueblo Green Chile Stew
aussiegirl likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 12-15-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Old 12-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Yuuuummmmmmmm
Sponsored Links