Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By wardancer
  • 5 Post By wardancer
  • 5 Post By WhoMe
  • 3 Post By eagleclanriverband

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com How to host a Pow Wow How to host a Pow Wow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
hawkspirit5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 170.00
Savings: 0.00
How to host a Pow Wow

I would like to host a small pow wow in my little town to help broaden their knowledge of our diverse cultures. I have a little shop of Native American merchandise, open only 2 weeks. SO MANY have coming asking SO MANY things, and lot of them "confess" to ancestors with Native American heritage.

Because we are only an hour or less either direction from sizable towns, I believe attendance would be efforts.

Anyway, I don't know what's involved and would like to learn how I might facilitate this. Being a retired and a disabled vet, I have the time to do what needs to be done.
Aho.
hawkspirit5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,633.58
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkspirit5 View Post
I would like to host a small pow wow in my little town to help broaden their knowledge of our diverse cultures. I have a little shop of Native American merchandise, open only 2 weeks. SO MANY have coming asking SO MANY things, and lot of them "confess" to ancestors with Native American heritage.

Because we are only an hour or less either direction from sizable towns, I believe attendance would be efforts.

Anyway, I don't know what's involved and would like to learn how I might facilitate this. Being a retired and a disabled vet, I have the time to do what needs to be done.
Aho.
Well , there's a lot you're not saying ! What part of the country is this gonna happen ? What type of dancers do you want to attract ? Contest or no contest ? (just a start)
With that said all you really need is a pocket full of money and a desire to spend it ! LOL
Oh Yeah , Welcome to powwows.calm !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

hawkspirit5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 170.00
I'm not sure what "a pocketful of money" means - hundreds? thousands? I feel certain the money is here in my community. What does the money go for? Dancers? Arena host and other workers? How much? I can start committee work, but could use some solid guidelines to begin.
hawkspirit5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,684.29
I don't have a lot of experience in hosting powwows, but I have some experience serving on powwow committees. There are many others in this online forum community that have a ton of expertise & knowledge more than me.

Have you ever volunteered to help out an existing powwow in your community? I think that would be a good place to start & then you could learn by first hand by watching, listening, learning logistics & helping out.
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,633.58
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkspirit5 View Post
I'm not sure what "a pocketful of money" means - hundreds? thousands? I feel certain the money is here in my community. What does the money go for? Dancers? Arena host and other workers? How much? I can start committee work, but could use some solid guidelines to begin.
So , a pocketful ! LOL You need a place. most fairgrounds charge something for using their grounds , or buildings $ Drum , usually wants paid and sometimes rooms to stay in close $ Head staff , same thing $ Let's see , Head Gourd Dancer $ Head Man Dancer $ Head Lady Dancer $ Master of Ceremonies $ Arena Director $ Typically these all get paid and get a place to stay if it's more than 1 day. That's just a start. The more you try to do , the more it will cost ! Vendors could pay a fee to set up , and that could re-coup a little. Will you "feed" ? It's traditional at some powwows to feed the staff and singers and dancers $ O.K , so maybe a bucket full $$$ Different areas of the country have different requirements as far as facilities and lodging $ Contests are even more $ you need dance judges , singing judges , tabulators to record numbers and tally points $$$ The Committee's give away (giveaways are big in some areas) $$$
That's a start $ And , all the funds need to be "in hand" before the first song is started $ Good luck with it And like ECRB says , there are lots of powwow peeps on here that know more about it than us !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 07-18-2016 at 03:51 PM..
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,068.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
So , a pocketful ! LOL You need a place. most fairgrounds charge something for using their grounds , or buildings $ Drum , usually wants paid and sometimes rooms to stay in close $ Head staff , same thing $ Let's see , Head Gourd Dancer $ Head Man Dancer $ Head Lady Dancer $ Master of Ceremonies $ Arena Director $ Typically these all get paid and get a place to stay if it's more than 1 day. That's just a start. The more you try to do , the more it will cost ! Vendors could pay a fee to set up , and that could re-coup a little. Will you "feed" ? It's traditional at some powwows to feed the staff and singers and dancers $ O.K , so maybe a bucket full $$$ Different areas of the country have different requirements as far as facilities and lodging $ Contests are even more $ you need dance judges , singing judges , tabulators to record numbers and tally points $$$ The Committee's give away (giveaways are big in some areas) $$$
That's a start $ And , all the funds need to be "in hand" before the first song is started $ Good luck with it And like EBRC says , there are lots of powwow peeps on here that know more about it than us !
Additional expenses include: security, advertisement, sound system, signage, portable restrooms, parking attendants, permits, insurance, chairs and tables, shades if outside, water and a color guard.

To recoup your expenses you can: charge admission, charge for parking, have raffles, sell merchandise, solicit donations and sponsorships, ask your head staff to sponsor contests or stand on the corner stop light with a cup < only do if you are desperate.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:25 AM   #7
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,684.29
About 10 yrs. ago, my family bought a fixer upper house on our rez; in the old days, powwows used to be held there on the land around by the house cuz it's where our last treaty was signed. So my family thought it might be a good idea for us to bring back that tradition & we looked at hosting a 1 day powwow to honor all the mothers in our tribe.

Real quickly it started adding up to 1000's! Along with everything that @wardancer & @WhoMe have mentioned, it's custom in our tribe with a traditional powwow that you have a feast and a giveaway for everyone who comes. It's kinda hard cuz you don't know how many people are going come & how much you need to have & how many you need to cook for. For almost a yr. ahead of time I was buying lbs & lbs of extra wild rice & stockpiling it. (Almost started feeling like a Mormon..LOL!) Depending on where you are located, that's something to look into doing too.

We started planning months ahead of time.....we had yard sales & did major league recycling to make extra money.

Also, you'll want think about picking a day that doesn't compete with other existing powwows....so that narrows it down really quick, too. Summer is jam packed. With a traditional powwow, we'd be taking away opportunity for earning potential for others & we didn't want to do that. You'll want to consider weather during the time of the year if it's outside. In Northern Wisconsin, it's cold & even snows in May. So what we didn't do & should have done first was to check with & ask the Drums first.

Totally separate on deferring costs, I help out with another group who sponsors a traditional powwow & they are a non-profit 501-c3. They are on smile.amazon.com & Amazon donates % of every purchase to that charity....every little bit helps out!
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links