Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lomax
  • 1 Post By LizBrokenArrow

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Looking for wife's father/family Looking for wife's father/family

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Terran
 
Lomax's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Lomax is an unknown quantity at this point
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lewisville, Tx.
Posts: 4
Credits: 528.02
Savings: 0.00
Looking for wife's father/family

I am looking for someone or some point of contact that might help me locate a Native American man or his family. The man would be my wife's real father. Here's the story: My wife was conceived in 1954 and born in Sept. of 1955 in Hobbs, New Mexico in Lee County Hospital. She was christened Patricia Sue Beckley. Her birth mother is Bernadine "Tiny" Buschman (sometimes went by "Tine") and conceived her while in her senior year of High School. The official record lists her father as John Beckley but we have ample evidence, including John Beckley's own testimony, that he was not the father. We know, only, that the real father was Native American and was living in Hobbs at that time. He was likely attending High School, himself, either in Hobbs are at the reservation school near there. Some other information we have is that, when my wife was about 1 yr. old, a Native American man used to come to the house, regularly to see her and bring her presents while John was in Korea in the Army, until Bernadine put a stop to the visits. About a decade ago a Native American man showed up at my wife's Aunt's house, her name was Erna Jean Howell nee' Buschman. This man said that he was my wife's father and wanted to see her because he was leaving for a hospital on a reservation in Arizona (did not say which one) to be treated for Cirrhosis of the Liver. He said it was a very severe case and he did not expect to survive. He brought presents and wanted to see his daughter and granddaughters before he died. My wife's Aunt told him that no one wanted to see him and that Patricia didn't want to know she was half Native American, which was a hateful lie. We found this out thru another Aunt after Erna Jean died. Through out her life my wife's family has lied about her parentage and denied that her real father was Native American. She has only pieced the truth together over the years, bit by bit. Also, just after this, our oldest daughter, Darla, was contacted by email by some folks that said they were Patricia's real family. Many bits of information they offered checked out, but before our daughter was able to convey any of this to her Mother she had a computer crash that wiped her information and she was unable to recover any details. She told her Mom everything she could remember but she couldn't recall any names or contact emails. If any of this sounds familiar or if you know of ANY points of contact, such as websites or message boards, in New Mexico or possibly Oklahoma or Arizona, that could help us locate her real father's family then please reply here. Or email [email protected]yahoo.com. Thanks!
LizBrokenArrow likes this.
__________________
Acting Senior of the Howard Families
Named Uvahlys by the Silver Elves
Friend of Chaos and Discordia

Traditional Dog head Stew:
http://www.thepiz.org/dogheadstew/recipe.html
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Liz Broken Arrow
 
LizBrokenArrow's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 345
Credits: 4,022.30
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I am looking for someone or some point of contact that might help me locate a Native American man or his family. The man would be my wife's real father. Here's the story: My wife was conceived in 1954 and born in Sept. of 1955 in Hobbs, New Mexico in Lee County Hospital. She was christened Patricia Sue Beckley. Her birth mother is Bernadine "Tiny" Buschman (sometimes went by "Tine") and conceived her while in her senior year of High School. The official record lists her father as John Beckley but we have ample evidence, including John Beckley's own testimony, that he was not the father. We know, only, that the real father was Native American and was living in Hobbs at that time. He was likely attending High School, himself, either in Hobbs are at the reservation school near there. Some other information we have is that, when my wife was about 1 yr. old, a Native American man used to come to the house, regularly to see her and bring her presents while John was in Korea in the Army, until Bernadine put a stop to the visits. About a decade ago a Native American man showed up at my wife's Aunt's house, her name was Erna Jean Howell nee' Buschman. This man said that he was my wife's father and wanted to see her because he was leaving for a hospital on a reservation in Arizona (did not say which one) to be treated for Cirrhosis of the Liver. He said it was a very severe case and he did not expect to survive. He brought presents and wanted to see his daughter and granddaughters before he died. My wife's Aunt told him that no one wanted to see him and that Patricia didn't want to know she was half Native American, which was a hateful lie. We found this out thru another Aunt after Erna Jean died. Through out her life my wife's family has lied about her parentage and denied that her real father was Native American. She has only pieced the truth together over the years, bit by bit. Also, just after this, our oldest daughter, Darla, was contacted by email by some folks that said they were Patricia's real family. Many bits of information they offered checked out, but before our daughter was able to convey any of this to her Mother she had a computer crash that wiped her information and she was unable to recover any details. She told her Mom everything she could remember but she couldn't recall any names or contact emails. If any of this sounds familiar or if you know of ANY points of contact, such as websites or message boards, in New Mexico or possibly Oklahoma or Arizona, that could help us locate her real father's family then please reply here. Or email [email protected]yahoo.com. Thanks!
@Lomax I hope you find what you are looking for here for your wife. A while back when I was looking for my family, I too turned to this forum. I did a lot of researched and the people here helped me with a boatload of information that I would not have been able to get on my own because I did not know how nor where to get the info. I did find my family and what a blessing it has been since then. I am "whole" now. I know who I am and I owe a lot to the people in this forum who took the time to help me. So I hope you are able to help find your wife's family like I found mine. Abundant blessings to you and yours.
__________________
Abundant Blessings,
Liz Broken Arrow

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team anywhere in New Jersey. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.



Thank You Creator For All Of Your Blessings.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Terran
 
Lomax's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Lomax is an unknown quantity at this point
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lewisville, Tx.
Posts: 4
Credits: 528.02
Savings: 0.00
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizBrokenArrow View Post
@Lomax I hope you find what you are looking for here for your wife. A while back when I was looking for my family, I too turned to this forum. I did a lot of researched and the people here helped me with a boatload of information that I would not have been able to get on my own because I did not know how nor where to get the info. I did find my family and what a blessing it has been since then. I am "whole" now. I know who I am and I owe a lot to the people in this forum who took the time to help me. So I hope you are able to help find your wife's family like I found mine. Abundant blessings to you and yours.
Thanks, Liz. So far, to date, yours is the only reply I've received. This is the second time I've tried on this website. Perhaps you might share some of the resources that others have shared with you? Anything would be more helpful than what I have, currently. When I started this, over 10 years ago, I expected more online Native American forums than I seem to be finding. Thanks, again, for your kind wishes.
__________________
Acting Senior of the Howard Families
Named Uvahlys by the Silver Elves
Friend of Chaos and Discordia

Traditional Dog head Stew:
http://www.thepiz.org/dogheadstew/recipe.html
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #4
small bead addict
 
subeeds's Avatar
 
Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern Georgia
Posts: 2,839
Blog Entries: 1
Credits: 36,414.53
Savings: 0.00
Try the Ancestry and Genealogy section. There are a lot of resources there.
__________________
Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Liz Broken Arrow
 
LizBrokenArrow's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 345
Credits: 4,022.30
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Thanks, Liz. So far, to date, yours is the only reply I've received. This is the second time I've tried on this website. Perhaps you might share some of the resources that others have shared with you? Anything would be more helpful than what I have, currently. When I started this, over 10 years ago, I expected more online Native American forums than I seem to be finding. Thanks, again, for your kind wishes.
@Lomax Like @subeeds mentioned, try Ancestry.com's Geneology section. I used that a lot to find out about my Native American ancestors from both sides of my family? both sets of grandparents and great grandparents, etc. I used it for many years and I still do. It became very useful in tracking a lot of my family there. But I am serious, if it weren't for the people in this forum, I would still be lost and hitting brick walls. It wasn't easy. It took me years and a lot of tears, but I finally did it.

You can start with this for now. Click on the links and save them onto your computer. Let me know if you need further help. I'll do what I can. Things don't happen overnight, but if you search carefully, you will find what you're looking for.

https://www.usa.gov/tribes Here it shows you how to do your (your wife's) ancestry search.

Tribes | NCAI Here is the list of all the US Tribes and their contact information. If you know what Tribe your father-in-law belonged to, you can get in contact with his tribe and ask them to help you figure out the rest.

More likely than not, they may have your wife take a blood quantum test to prove that she's his daughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_quantum_laws This explains about Blood Quantums and how it came to be.

Abundant Blessings Lomax and Wifey.
Liz
StephanieWho likes this.
__________________
Abundant Blessings,
Liz Broken Arrow

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team anywhere in New Jersey. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.



Thank You Creator For All Of Your Blessings.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

    

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Join PowWows.com Today!

Your Guide to Native American Pow Wows Since 1996

Register For Free

Enjoy the benefits of being a member of PowWows.com!

Join our Native American online community focused on Pow Wow singing, dancing, crafts, Native American music, Native American videos, and more.

Add your Pow Wow to our Calendar

Share your photos and videos

Play games, enter contests, and much more!






New Threads

Pow Wow Calendar Search

 
Month: Year:

Location:
Facebook Profile Images

Videos

Featured Articles

Dance Styles

Crafts

Gallery