Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree100Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Mixed race...where do I belong? Mixed race...where do I belong?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
banglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 133.01
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy Mixed race...where do I belong?

My mother (may she rest in peace) was half Japanese, half Bangladeshi. My father is Hopi. I need help figuring out where I fit in.

Being multiracial is difficult. In many ways I think it is harder than simply being a minority. I'm a mixture of minorities, so I look different from everyone else no matter where I go, and I don't feel like I truly belong anywhere. I am extremely envious of people who know their place in the world.

Because my mother died when I was young, I was raised in the Hopi culture of my father. I love my Hopi heritage and want nothing more than to carry it on. The problem is that I feel like I am unable to do this because of the way I look. I clearly have genes from Asia and India. The evidence is right here on my face, and it is undeniable. Thus I feel that Native people will automatically view me as a hobbyist or a poser, because I am obviously "something else."

This is an issue that causes me a lot of depression and anxiety. What can I do to honor my heritage without being immediately shunned and mistrusted by Native people because of the way I look?
banglahopinese is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

banglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond reputebanglahopinese has a reputation beyond repute
I feel this needs further clarification. I don't mean to imply that all Native people are unfairly suspicious of others, but this is something that has affected me a lot during my life. For example, at the most recent powwow I went to with my father, I was sitting on the sidelines watching him dance when I noticed an old Native woman glaring at me and shaking her head in disapproval. She whispered to some of the men seated beside her, who looked like elders, then gestured at me. The men looked over at me and narrowed their eyes. I wasn't even dancing or wearing Native regalia; I was just sitting there politely watching my father perform. I felt very embarrassed and turned away.

I wanted to go over and tell them that I had a legitimate reason to be there, that I wasn't just posing or hobbying or trying to steal someone else's traditions, that in fact I have a considerable amount of Hopi blood and was raised in Hopi culture. I also wanted to point out that although I look a bit more Asian than other Native people, all indigenous people of the Americas descended from Central Asia. But I was too shy. This is the type of situation I am referring to when I say, "What can I do to honor my heritage without being immediately shunned and mistrusted by Native people because of the way I look?"
Maize-Grower and TeenaBear like this.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

cayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond reputecayenne13 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
Smile a struggle...........

I totally understand where you are coming from! I am also part native plus irish & english...... growing up I was shunned a lot from both people on the reserve & the "white" people. I felt I did not fit in anywhere & its something very hard to deal with. People who are supposed to be of you own blood & race are supposed to protect & support you. It was some words from my doctor actually that helped me!we talked a lot about it & he said so you are not red, you are not white, you are pink & that means you are your own colour, your own special person, you are not made to fit in, rather stand out........ So be the best pink person you can be!!! So thats what I did...... But it really bothers me when I see other natives/whites/blacks etc putting each other down :( racism works both ways. So maybe you are here to be stand out & educate people on being labelled (or not being labelled) & what it is to be of mixed race......... I think a lot of people native & non-native need some educating in this subect. Find you peace within you! You have nothing to prove to anyone, be proud of your roots!
cayenne13 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
i hear alot of stories of people being shunned......but never seen it..........i have a feeling most people feel shunned before even mixing it up with us and look for more reasons to feel that way.........maybe its because you are a stranger.....

the solution is stop being a stranger.....help an elder to thier car, ask anyone if they need help loading their truck, doing dishes, gathering firewood ect ect......make friends first then the acceptance will come
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 84,947.75
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglahopinese View Post
I feel this needs further clarification. I don't mean to imply that all Native people are unfairly suspicious of others, but this is something that has affected me a lot during my life. For example, at the most recent powwow I went to with my father, I was sitting on the sidelines watching him dance when I noticed an old Native woman glaring at me and shaking her head in disapproval. She whispered to some of the men seated beside her, who looked like elders, then gestured at me. The men looked over at me and narrowed their eyes. I wasn't even dancing or wearing Native regalia; I was just sitting there politely watching my father perform. I felt very embarrassed and turned away.

I wanted to go over and tell them that I had a legitimate reason to be there, that I wasn't just posing or hobbying or trying to steal someone else's traditions, that in fact I have a considerable amount of Hopi blood and was raised in Hopi culture. I also wanted to point out that although I look a bit more Asian than other Native people, all indigenous people of the Americas descended from Central Asia. But I was too shy. This is the type of situation I am referring to when I say, "What can I do to honor my heritage without being immediately shunned and mistrusted by Native people because of the way I look?"
Since you have your father there, it might be a good time to have him introduce you to the people who you want to know more about you. Then as @milehighsalute suggested, do something helpful to gain their respect for you. Probably the next best thing is not to sulk away feeling rejected, but to become more active and participate somehow. You already stated that you have accepted the Hopi way of life. Carry on the ways and tradition.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

if youre talking this kinda sheeit around indians then i could see why no one would want to talk to you

i know alot of hopis.....who were you raised around that co-sign this? where do they reside? ...............i really dont think a mix of ndn and indian would make you look THAT much different.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

@cayenne13

Cayenne, it was nice to hear from someone else who is mixed race. I appreciated reading about your experience, and I'm sorry you have often felt shunned by both white people and people on the rez. Maybe I need a change in perspective. I'll try to use my multiracial identity as an opportunity to "stand out & educate people on being labelled (or not being labelled) & what it is to be of mixed race," as you suggested.
Chaseshorse and Maize-Grower like this.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

I would very much like to wear Native clothing with pride. I would like to dance at powwows. I feel like I have a right to honor my heritage without being rejected and viewed with suspicion.

@milehighsalute and @xTekno, I have always been shy, but I will try to come out of my shell a little bit more and interact with the Native communities. I hope they will accept me if I am kind and sincere.

The problem is, Hopi tribal enrollment requires 1/4 blood quantum, which my father meets but I do not. Will I be negatively viewed if I am carrying on Hopi traditions but am not an official member of the tribe?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
if youre talking this kinda sheeit around indians then i could see why no one would want to talk to you

i know alot of hopis.....who were you raised around that co-sign this? where do they reside? ...............i really dont think a mix of ndn and indian would make you look THAT much different.
Why is it "sheeit?"

If you read my post, you will see that I said I was too shy to say anything. So obviously, I am not talking about this around Indians or anyone else. It was something I thought because I felt embarrassed and awkward, and like I needed to justify myself. But I didn't voice it.

Also, it is my Japanese Asian heritage that makes me look "THAT much different," not my East Indian heritage. When people give me funny looks at tribal gatherings, I always assume it's because my Asian features make me stand out. Again, that's why I thought to myself that all Native Americans descended from Asia at some point, therefore having these features shouldn't set me apart so much. But as I said before, I kept quiet.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
What makes you think ALL Indians descended from Asia? Did the Hopis teach you that?

Just asking.
Chaseshorse and windanncer like this.
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Dances With Fat Chicks

Quote:
Why is it "sheeit?"

If you read my post, you will see that I said I was too shy to say anything. So obviously, I am not talking about this around Indians or anyone else. It was something I thought because I felt embarrassed and awkward, and like I needed to justify myself. But I didn't voice it.

Also, it is my Japanese Asian heritage that makes me look "THAT much different," not my East Indian heritage. When people give me funny looks at tribal gatherings, I always assume it's because my Asian features make me stand out. Again, that's why I thought to myself that all Native Americans descended from Asia at some point, therefore having these features shouldn't set me apart so much. But as I said before, I kept quiet.
i dunno about that.....i sometimes mistake my cousins from my pueblo side as asian all the time.....they have to remind me who they are

if your dad is known, and is considered hopi among his people then i dont see the problem.....just make it known who your dad is
Chaseshorse likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

QueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 403.40
Wow! I know exactly how you feel! I'm a mix of quite a lot, actually. Much of my heritage is minorities as well. People ask me what my heritage is, and they get bewildered because of how much is there! People like to stare and snicker at me, and even though I love my Native heritage and want to learn more about it, I'm afraid to.

I went to Disneyland not that long ago, and they had a store full of Native American themed trinkets, so I thought look around. The clerk (who was clearly Native) was looking at me really bewildered and somewhat mad, it made me uncomfortable. His assistant was also looking at me laughing. I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed. It's not the first time this has happened.

The best we can do is just embrace what we are, even if it's uncommon and learn as much as we can. Our background is a unique thing, and it shouldn't make us feel any less human. I think it's a great experience to share our knowledge on our ancestors and they way they lived that some people do not know about. I'm sorry you don't have many to relate to, but I do understand where you're coming from. Maybe there's some type of festival where you can meet new people of different heritages. Who knows, you might meet someone with a similar background to yours.

I'm Native American, European, and Middle Eastern. I've never met someone with a background like mine. I kind of find it fun to talk with others about their heritage. When I tell them what I am, they actually seem interested in what I have to say for once.
Chaseshorse and Maize-Grower like this.
QueenSnowGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 84,947.75
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSnowGrl View Post
Wow! I know exactly how you feel! I'm a mix of quite a lot, actually. Much of my heritage is minorities as well. People ask me what my heritage is, and they get bewildered because of how much is there! People like to stare and snicker at me, and even though I love my Native heritage and want to learn more about it, I'm afraid to.

I went to Disneyland not that long ago, and they had a store full of Native American themed trinkets, so I thought look around. The clerk (who was clearly Native) was looking at me really bewildered and somewhat mad, it made me uncomfortable. His assistant was also looking at me laughing. I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed. It's not the first time this has happened.

The best we can do is just embrace what we are, even if it's uncommon and learn as much as we can. Our background is a unique thing, and it shouldn't make us feel any less human. I think it's a great experience to share our knowledge on our ancestors and they way they lived that some people do not know about. I'm sorry you don't have many to relate to, but I do understand where you're coming from. Maybe there's some type of festival where you can meet new people of different heritages. Who knows, you might meet someone with a similar background to yours.

I'm Native American, European, and Middle Eastern. I've never met someone with a background like mine. I kind of find it fun to talk with others about their heritage. When I tell them what I am, they actually seem interested in what I have to say for once.
was tonto in the store?
windanncer likes this.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

QueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 403.40
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTekno View Post
was tonto in the store?
I'm laughing so hard, that's exactly how he acted!
Maize-Grower likes this.
QueenSnowGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

@Joe's Dad The Hopi did not teach me that all Indians are descended from Asia. That's what I have been taught in regular public school. Researching the subject leads me to the same conclusion. Is it mistaken? If so, please correct me. I don't want to be spreading or believing in false information.

When I thought to myself, ". . . although I look a bit more Asian than other Native people, all indigenous people of the Americas descended from Central Asia," it's because I was feeling awkward and embarrassed. It seemed like I was being unfairly judged based on my looks, and I wanted to defend myself. However, I agree that it would have been a rude thing to speak aloud. I would never have actually said it. I hope anyone I might have offended by posting this comment can forgive me.

@milehighsalute I'm obviously not going to post pictures of myself online, but to briefly describe my appearance: I have the fair skin and basic facial structure of Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif (from my Bangladeshi heritage), with almond eyes (from my Japanese heritage), a somewhat broader nose and high cheekbones (from my Hopi heritage). My hair is dark brown and my eyes are hazel. I feel as if I look totally mixed up, but maybe I'm just being too sensitive.
Chaseshorse and QueenSnowGrl like this.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience @QueenSnowGrl. I feel your pain in many ways:

1. Being constantly asked what my ethnicity is (usually phrased, "What are you?" or "Where did you move here from?")
2. People staring, glaring, and snickering
3. Being reluctant to study my Native heritage for fear of seeming illegitimate

I don't mean to come across as overly sensitive, but feeling like you belong is a very important part of human experience, and it is something that I lack. But, taking the advice of people on this forum, I plan to make more of an effort to connect with others, and I will try to be forgiving of those who pass unfair judgment. Maybe someday I will come to view my multiracial identity as a special trait that makes me unique, rather than a burden.
Maize-Grower likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

Talking about this subject makes me think of something I saw on Facebook the other day. Litefoot's youngest son Qwnuseia recently had a birthday. The child has light strawberry blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. He certainly does not look like what many would consider to be the traditional picture of an American Indian. I wonder if he will receive similar puzzled stares and scowls if he attends traditional events in the future. He looks like someone who, in a country like Sweden or Germany, would blend right in. Yet his parents are both American Indian, and some of Litefoot's lyrics in particular seem to have a less-than-favorable attitude towards white folks!

I guess the key is to be accepted by the community no matter what you look like. Lots of American Indians today have at least some caucasian or other admixture, so there can be a lot of variation in the way we look. I think I realize now that it's all about the way you act.
Chaseshorse and TeenaBear like this.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

Hollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond repute
Hollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond reputeHollywood-NDN -ES/LA has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,224.37
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSnowGrl View Post

Wouldn't a Disneyland native themed store mostly have a bunch of white customers instead of Indians?

And I'm of Native American, Mexican and white descent. I pretty much just look ambiguous, I've gotten every continent. Mostly I get Mexican but I'm usually in barrio environments anyway. If I'm at a pow wow it seems like people just assume I'm native, I think I've been getting that more with my longer hair. :p
Chaseshorse likes this.
Hollywood-NDN -ES/LA is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,816.15
banglahopinese ; I think you worry too much about what other people think and not enough of how you think. You decide who you are and go from there. Others don't matter.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
Quote:
@Joe's Dad The Hopi did not teach me that all Indians are descended from Asia. That's what I have been taught in regular public school. Researching the subject leads me to the same conclusion. Is it mistaken? If so, please correct me. I don't want to be spreading or believing in false information.

When I thought to myself, ". . . although I look a bit more Asian than other Native people, all indigenous people of the Americas descended from Central Asia," it's because I was feeling awkward and embarrassed. It seemed like I was being unfairly judged based on my looks, and I wanted to defend myself. However, I agree that it would have been a rude thing to speak aloud. I would never have actually said it. I hope anyone I might have offended by posting this comment can forgive me.

@milehighsalute I'm obviously not going to post pictures of myself online, but to briefly describe my appearance: I have the fair skin and basic facial structure of Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif (from my Bangladeshi heritage), with almond eyes (from my Japanese heritage), a somewhat broader nose and high cheekbones (from my Hopi heritage). My hair is dark brown and my eyes are hazel. I feel as if I look totally mixed up, but maybe I'm just being too sensitive.
About being shy...SHY PEOPLE NEVER LEARN BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO SHY TO ASK QUESTIONS! lol

You can practice not being shy here. Just pretend you are at powwow and a group of grandmas and grandpas are asking you a bunch of questions.

Now, about the Asian connection...

You said your mom was Japanese. In school, I was taught Japanese and a bunch of other people for over there were Asian.

Now, if there is a THEORY that Indians are the the descendants of Asians, shouldn't, in the Japanese history telling, be something that says, "Your ancestors walked the 'Trail of the Bering Sea Land Bridge' and therefore, you are entitled to casino money"?

Did your mother, or her family ever tell you this story, or did you learn it in school, like most others who buy into the theory?

Just saying.

And I don't feel awkward or embarrassed on how I look. I'm old and wrinkled. My hair is down below my shoulder blades, It used to be black, but now it has a lot of gray. My eyes used to be brown, but now they have a gray ring around the pupil.

AND I DON'T GIVE A SH!T ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF MY FEATURES!

I've seen Indians look white as rice and black as the ace of spades. Of course, they were mix bloods, but I knew their parents. and in some cases, I knew their parent's parents.

The difference is, the ones I know like this ^^ knew their family and CULTURE.

Those who spew around not fitting in, are the ones who have no ties to (insert ethnic group here) and use the excuse of being too, black, white, blue, green, blah, blah, blah to fit in anywhere.

Go look in the mirror...again...and describe what you see. Come back and tell us.

Same goes for anyone else who thinks they are not enough of...

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links