Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree40Likes
  • 11 Post By OLChemist
  • 4 Post By xTekno
  • 9 Post By OLChemist
  • 5 Post By Toolbox
  • 2 Post By Spiritflight
  • 3 Post By xTekno
  • 5 Post By milehighsalute
  • 1 Post By milehighsalute

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Native American Village Native American Village

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
faysalals is an unknown quantity at this point
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Credits: 119.00
Savings: 0.00
Native American Village

I dont know if this is the right rection and I couldnt find any results from google search.. im taking a road trip from new orleans to chicago and then to washington and I wanted to ask if there is any native american tribes or villages I can visit? I dont want a fake parade and museum.. I want a real village with real people. thank you.
faysalals is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Pow Wow Committee
 
OLChemist's Avatar
 
Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,285
Credits: 68,252.95
Savings: 0.00
There are lots of towns and communities along the way that have a significant Native population. There more than a few reservations you could find along that route.

However, what are you expecting to see? If you are wanting to find people dressed in buckskin living in earth lodges or tipis, you're about a century and a half late. Even the folks who live in their culture's traditional structures live modern lives, with cell phones, Walmart, and pickup trucks. The only place you will find people living like it is 18-whatever is in a museum.

This does not mean our cultures are gone. Far from it' they are very much going concerns. However, by and large our material culture has moved on. But we still live as Indian people, practicing our religion, arts, and culture, keeping our values going.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Standing Rock
 
xTekno's Avatar
 
Items PresentDevilElephant
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tsézhintah, AZ
Posts: 21,399
Blog Entries: 15
Credits: 92,393.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Here's one in AZ during SuperBowl XLII:


The American Indian Village, a quarter of a city block in size, with seven separate tribal village displays, will be the Arizona tribes’ main attraction during the Super Bowl. The traditional village set-ups will represent Navajo; Apache; Hopi; Zuni; O’odham and Maricopa tribes; River tribes, and several Pai entities.

The village is situated in Scottsdale’s Civic Center Park. And the Arizona American Indian Tourism Association (AAITA ) has been planning the family-friendly event for two years. “This is a great opportunity for us to welcome visitors from across the nation to ‘Native Arizona,’ opening a dialogue for networking through the villages that represent our Tribal Nations,” said Donovan Hanley, AAITA president and representative of the Navajo Nation Hospitality Enterprise.


Read more at Arizona?s Native Tourism Community Preps for Super Bowl XLIX - ICTMN.com
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
faysalals is an unknown quantity at this point
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Credits: 119.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
There are lots of towns and communities along the way that have a significant Native population. There more than a few reservations you could find along that route.

However, what are you expecting to see? If you are wanting to find people dressed in buckskin living in earth lodges or tipis, you're about a century and a half late. Even the folks who live in their culture's traditional structures live modern lives, with cell phones, Walmart, and pickup trucks. The only place you will find people living like it is 18-whatever is in a museum.

This does not mean our cultures are gone. Far from it' they are very much going concerns. However, by and large our material culture has moved on. But we still live as Indian people, practicing our religion, arts, and culture, keeping our values going.
Thank you for the info :) yes I wanted to see the traditional culture and live it.. I remember watching a movie of a american girl falling in love with a native american who is westernized but his family lives in mountains and practice traditional native american songs and dance and wisdom.. I thought this still existed and wanted to visit something like that. From where I come from the bedwins are all civilized but there are still few who live in the desert.
faysalals is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
faysalals is an unknown quantity at this point
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Credits: 119.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
There are lots of towns and communities along the way that have a significant Native population. There more than a few reservations you could find along that route.

However, what are you expecting to see? If you are wanting to find people dressed in buckskin living in earth lodges or tipis, you're about a century and a half late. Even the folks who live in their culture's traditional structures live modern lives, with cell phones, Walmart, and pickup trucks. The only place you will find people living like it is 18-whatever is in a museum.

This does not mean our cultures are gone. Far from it' they are very much going concerns. However, by and large our material culture has moved on. But we still live as Indian people, practicing our religion, arts, and culture, keeping our values going.
km
faysalals is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Pow Wow Committee
 
OLChemist's Avatar
 
Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,285
Credits: 68,252.95
Savings: 0.00
Just because we live in modern homes, have iPhones and shop at Walmart doesn't make us non-Indian. Yes, things have changed -- even for the Bedouin -- but we retain our various cultures. Just because we may live in a city, work in a lab, drive a car and buy our buffalo at the grocery doesn't mean we don't hold our ceremonies or pursue our traditional arts or speak our languages.

Please understand Native people in the US and Canada are hidden behind a screen of romanticism. Often non-Indians -- especially those from other parts of the world -- expect us to live just like our ancestors. If we do not, we are judged insufficiently Indian. They do not see that we still retain our unique world views.

My ancestors lived as buffalo hunters on the plains. This lifestyle along with the instructions they received from the Creator formed much of their culture. The buffalo economy was destroyed. The material culture developed by and adapted to that lifestyles is largely a thing of the past. But the values, the family structure, the language, the religion, the people and our land live on. Bruised by conquest and attempted cultural genocide, we are still here. Our people and our worldview lives on and continues to adapt.

You can still see Indian peoples. We still dance, sing, create and pray. You can still experience our cultures. But as they are today.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
faysalals is an unknown quantity at this point
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Credits: 119.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Just because we live in modern homes, have iPhones and shop at Walmart doesn't make us non-Indian. Yes, things have changed -- even for the Bedouin -- but we retain our various cultures. Just because we may live in a city, work in a lab, drive a car and buy our buffalo at the grocery doesn't mean we don't hold our ceremonies or pursue our traditional arts or speak our languages.

Please understand Native people in the US and Canada are hidden behind a screen of romanticism. Often non-Indians -- especially those from other parts of the world -- expect us to live just like our ancestors. If we do not, we are judged insufficiently Indian. They do not see that we still retain our unique world views.

My ancestors lived as buffalo hunters on the plains. This lifestyle along with the instructions they received from the Creator formed much of their culture. The buffalo economy was destroyed. The material culture developed by and adapted to that lifestyles is largely a thing of the past. But the values, the family structure, the language, the religion, the people and our land live on. Bruised by conquest and attempted cultural genocide, we are still here. Our people and our worldview lives on and continues to adapt.

You can still see Indian peoples. We still dance, sing, create and pray. You can still experience our cultures. But as they are today.
I understand that and no need to take offence and I dont romanticize your culture or see it as something fun.. I just know that if I meet modern native americans its hard to go into their homes and meet them and go into their culture and im a person who loves to experience a culture in all countries I visit and I hate feeling like a tourist so thats why I was asking if that exist and if not thats fine.. I just dont know nothing about this culture because I am from the middle east. thank you
faysalals is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
I pull your leg out!
 
Toolbox's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melmac
Posts: 6,000
Credits: 87,421.59
Savings: 0.00
Your best bet to experience American Indian culture is to go to a powwow. Going to a reservation isn't going to give you too much insight because it's not much different than going to any small town - except for excessive poverty in some cases.

Read up on Powwow etiquette: Pow Wow Etiquette and the dance styles you'll likely see: Pow Wow Dancing
Directory of US Tribes by state: Native American Tribal Directory
__________________
CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...


Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
.
 
Spiritflight's Avatar
 
Items TreePresentChange User Title
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,978
Blog Entries: 3
Credits: 14,792.88
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by faysalals View Post
if I meet modern native americans its hard to go into their homes and meet them and go into their culture
Because it's their homes and their culture. Like everywhere on this planet you gotta make friends with people you like and then, if you think you have a good friendship may invite each other to your homes. Otherwise there's always the option to visit public events like powwows.
RDNKJ and renia58 like this.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
faysalals is an unknown quantity at this point
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Credits: 119.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post
Because it's their homes and their culture. Like everywhere on this planet you gotta make friends with people you like and then, if you think you have a good friendship may invite each other to your homes. Otherwise there's always the option to visit public events like powwows.
I know and understand that now thats why I was asking about not modernized native americans because they would welcome anyone whos passing by.. and im traveling for only 3 days
faysalals is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Standing Rock
 
xTekno's Avatar
 
Items PresentDevilElephant
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tsézhintah, AZ
Posts: 21,399
Blog Entries: 15
Credits: 92,393.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by faysalals View Post
I know and understand that now thats why I was asking about not modernized native americans because they would welcome anyone whos passing by.. and im traveling for only 3 days
even if there was at least one place like this, it wouldn't be by the side of road with easy access ... more than likely, it would be far from existing roads and you would need a guide to get you in and out on foot or horseback. there goes your three-day time limit.

on Navajo land, there are places like this. no running water, no electricity, no paved roads. a family living off the land with their few head of livestock and dry farms.
windanncer, Spiritflight and RDNKJ like this.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
Dances With Fat Chicks
 
milehighsalute's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DENVER
Posts: 1,057
Credits: 31,977.76
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTekno View Post
even if there was at least one place like this, it wouldn't be by the side of road with easy access ... more than likely, it would be far from existing roads and you would need a guide to get you in and out on foot or horseback. there goes your three-day time limit.

on Navajo land, there are places like this. no running water, no electricity, no paved roads. a family living off the land with their few head of livestock and dry farms.
there is one place like that.....my people the TUAH-TA.......in taos pueblo they do not allow electricity, cell phones ect ect.....you have to live very traditional

i wouldnt expect to be invited into anyone home though, unless they are vending out of it....expect to pay a cover charge just to get in too
__________________
"I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Dances With Fat Chicks
 
milehighsalute's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DENVER
Posts: 1,057
Credits: 31,977.76
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by faysalals View Post
Thank you for the info :) yes I wanted to see the traditional culture and live it.. I remember watching a movie of a american girl falling in love with a native american who is westernized but his family lives in mountains and practice traditional native american songs and dance and wisdom.. I thought this still existed and wanted to visit something like that. From where I come from the bedwins are all civilized but there are still few who live in the desert.
haha someone been watching TIGER EYES
Spiritflight likes this.
__________________
"I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fort Rucker celebrates Native American Heritage, impact alumphfres War Discussion 1 11-22-2014 01:35 PM
H.R. 4766 Native Language Immersion Bill needs support Historian Native Issues 3 09-26-2007 05:54 AM
Where Native American History Was Lost And Found tribalwebhost Native Issues 1 04-27-2007 05:45 AM
Native American Women Veterans melissa_blackbull Native Issues 18 04-30-2006 12:27 AM
NIH News release re: Native American Children AMotherCares Health Issues 0 12-26-2005 05:14 PM

    

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Join PowWows.com Today!

Your Guide to Native American Pow Wows Since 1996

Register For Free

Enjoy the benefits of being a member of PowWows.com!

Join our Native American online community focused on Pow Wow singing, dancing, crafts, Native American music, Native American videos, and more.

Add your Pow Wow to our Calendar

Share your photos and videos

Play games, enter contests, and much more!






New Threads

Pow Wow Calendar Search

 
Month: Year:

Location:
Facebook Profile Images

Videos

Featured Articles

Dance Styles

Crafts

Gallery