Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Need Help in Background Need Help in Background

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SweetDove56 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Wink Need Help in Background

I am Cherokee and I need to find out what organization to contact. Also I would like to contact a Chief so that I can receive my Indian name. I live in North Carolina. Any help I can get on this matter would be greatly appreciate.
SweetDove56 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,771.48
There are many so-called "Cherokee" tribes that are not recognized at the federal level - please beware of them... They will sell you membership and an "Indian name" that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

There are only 3 federally-recognized Cherokee tribes:

Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma
United Ketoowah Band of Cherokee (based in Oklahoma)
Eastern Band of Cherokee (based in North Carolina)

I would caution you that if you are investigating your native heritage and want to be taken seriously, asking for Indian name right off the bat is not a wise first step. You should first find out if you are descended from one of these tribes, then begin a slow process of learning about your heritage, customs and traditions.

There's nothing that screams "wannabe" faster than calling up the tribal headquarters and asking for an Indian name or some special ceremony. I don't think that's the Indian name you're looking for....
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

SweetDove56 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Thanks a million for your response. I will do (or not do)what you said. I appreciate you taking me under your wing. You are very kind.
SweetDove56 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 24,634.66
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
There are many so-called "Cherokee" tribes that are not recognized at the federal level - please beware of them... They will sell you membership and an "Indian name" that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

There are only 3 federally-recognized Cherokee tribes:

Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma
United Ketoowah Band of Cherokee (based in Oklahoma)
Eastern Band of Cherokee (based in North Carolina)

I would caution you that if you are investigating your native heritage and want to be taken seriously, asking for Indian name right off the bat is not a wise first step. You should first find out if you are descended from one of these tribes, then begin a slow process of learning about your heritage, customs and traditions.

There's nothing that screams "wannabe" faster than calling up the tribal headquarters and asking for an Indian name or some special ceremony. I don't think that's the Indian name you're looking for....
Hello
I am from Tahlequah and of the Cherokee Nation, I normally dont post to such questions but I feel compeled to do so today.
You are asking several questions and I will try my best to answer them as best I can

If you searching for Heritage, there are several excellant links on the internet that can help you, All with a fee but they can usually turn up results. You mention North Carolina but you must understand that Familys were torn apart after removal.
And may not neccessarly be Eastern Cherokee you may find that your Family is Western Cherokee but moved back at a later date. Not all stayed some became homesick and moved back

As far as names
North of Ada is correct nothing screams of a wannabe then asking for a name
Cherokees have many names throughout there life. You have your name that you are called by that is given to you by your father when you are born and later when you come of age you may recieve another one, then there is your social name that may also be your original name, And there is you secret name that only a few know.

And here is the most important Fact!
They dont neccessarly mean anything! It could just be a name that you known by.
I dont know where all the naming stuff came from but I hear this alot from people that are searching for there heritage especially those looking for Cherokee Roots.
Like they read somewhere that you have to have a name in order to be Cherokee, like a badge or something.

Cherokee.org | Official Website Of The Cherokee Nation

Welcome to Cherokee Roots
Sponsored Links