Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Not so much a question. Not so much a question.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 124.00
Savings: 0.00
Not so much a question.

Hello allÖ
I had come across this forum roughly around 3 years ago or thereabouts and periodically read the odd thread or two out of curiosity.

To use that old clichť, the internet is an amazing place for bringing people together who otherwise would never find it possible to interact and share thoughts, feelings, ideas and whatnot.

So, I am fully aware that the nature of this forum is specifically for people who attend Pow Wowís which are dances that have significant meaning to the many different cultures of the indigenous people across the USA. I am essentially a stranger in your house (forum) who has zero connection to anything remotely related to any of the men and women (or however you may identify) of this forum.

In short, this forum is not meant for me.

With that said, I thought it wise to introduce myself before I go any further as there are many links that posters on here share that take you to, for example, videos of Pow Wowís they have recorded and posted on YouTube or, posts that have described their last dance they attended and who they met and the good/bad time they had as well as other information.

I am from Glasgow, Scotland. My cultural heritage is completely Scottish and Irish with some very small amounts of Danish, so small in fact it is barely worth mentioning but it is there. My Scottish side and my surname and dominant part of my heritage are that of a lowland Clan, who much to my relief was among the signers of the declaration of Arbroath (declaration of Scottish Independence made in 1320). The Irish side of my heritage is from the people who came to Scotland during the potato famine, and cousinsí aunts and uncles who are still living in Ireland today.

My family is totally Catholic when it comes to religion, however my Mother and Father despite being baptised and having myself and my siblings baptised (only because it was the done thing) never raised any of us with Jesus in our lives or the teachings of Catholicism. It was only when we attended primary School did, we encounter the whole concept of God and Jesus, which was a shock to us and an even bigger shock to our teachers who were mortified that we knew nothing of God and had never attended mass. I am Atheist if you must know. Whatever religion you are though more power to you, if you are happy good for you, I am not one to judge what people believe or who they believe in, as long as you arenít harming others.

My Clan, however, have a pretty significant presence in the USA or did at one time I have no idea really how big they are. I have come across people online who claim to be descendants of my Clan in Texas, Virginia, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina and so on. When I say claim to, itís highly likely they are, the Scots Clans had a massive presence in the US as you are well aware. I am unaware of any relations in particular and it isnít something I am actively trying to discover.

Iíve actually seen those videos on YouTube and other places of the Scots descendants in America who hold an annual Scots Clan Heritage Day (not entirely sure of the specific name). They are far more involved with the Scots Clans than myself and everyone I know who is from a Clan, something that rarely ever comes up amongst the people I know anyway.

So, to get back more on to why I finally decided to post on here and away from my family history lesson, which again was only intended to introduce myself with full disclosure.

Growing up at least for me anyway, I was more aware of the cultural melting pot that is America. Knew for more historical figures from your country than my own, Sitting Bull, Lincoln, Washington, Frederick Douglass, Teddy Roosevelt, Red Cloud, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Mark Twain, Pancho Villa (Mexico of course but relevant to the history) and so on.

Iím always browsing my local bookstore for good books on The Civil War, Native peoples, Cowboys, Emancipation, Reconstruction you get the idea.

I actually have this very vivid memory from when I was a wee boy staying at my Dadís for the weekend and watching Custer of The West (we used to watch whatever Western was on TV together that day). I specifically remember the ending which portrays Custer as a valiant hero with his men fighting to the very end in a last stand against the ĎSavage Indianí. I remember my Dad laughing and saying it didnít happen like that at all and that Custer was probably one of the first to meet his end, and that the Native Warriors totally decimated Custer and his men. Was a ground-breaking moment for me, as I discovered that day that movies lie and put their own slant on history.

Having read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee several years ago which I found really hard to get through due to the first-hand accounts detailing what had happened to the Native People which left me totally shocked and appalled. I experienced a similar feeling tonight when I went to see the adaptation of Neither Wolf nor Dog at the cinema. When the credits rolled in that movie there was silence in the cinema, nobody moved, it was moving, Iíve not stopped thinking about it since I saw it.

The scene where they go into the Native Museum owned by the old white lady was angering and sad. I canít even begin to imagine how it must feel for native people when they see pieces of their culture being commodified for mass consumption.

I am in total awe of the dedication towards preserving your cultures for your future generations. I am saddened to think that my ancestors would have played a part in the attempted eradication of your ancestors, that they attempted to suppress your history and languages.

I always find it bewildering that the Scots Clans who prided themselves on the mantra of living Ďfreeí were happy to go to and take part in the colonisation of America, owning slaves and taking land from the Natives. A total contradiction to how we like to think of our ancestors, to be honest.

I apologise for how long-winded the post has been, I feel like I have said a lot and said nothing at all. Believe me, when I say I didnít come here to post this and expect all of you to welcome me with open arms and thank me or whatever, Iíve just really spent the whole day processing that movie.

Dave Bald Eagle was an absolute pleasure to watch in that movie, by the way, I was reminded of Harry Dean Stanton and his final farewell performance in Lucky. Obviously, Harry Dean Stanton was an icon due to the many popular movies he was in, so his death was worldwide news, but it is a shame that Dave Bald Eagleís death wasnít news for the world too, a real treasure of a human being.

Iím not on Twitter or Facebook so I donít really get the chance to connect with people in other parts of the world, social media is a just a noise of craziness anyway best avoided, I think.

Thanks to whoever has taken the time to read this, thank you for allowing me to post here. Iíd love to visit the US one day, so many things I would love to check out, would be nice to watch a Pow Wow in person, go to the Rodeo, watch a ball game, Iím a fan of the Houston Astros, Civil War battle sites, go see the 5 Spanish missions and so on.

Anyway, thanks again.

Kind regards.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 66,376.67
Savings: 0.00
Welcome to powwows.com.

[joking font] Kewl! A real Scotsman! I have a Scottish princess (actually the daughter of a Glaswegian shipyard worker) great grandmother. [/joking font]. Sorry, I had to get the being a smart-something-or-other out of the way, LOL.

Many of the Scots descendants in America are a proud and active bunch. I did my undergrad work at a college in (then) rural east Tennessee. The local old time, non-Indian folk music featured many Scottish ballads. Down here in Texas I've seen more than a couple of proudly worn kilts. I haven't ever seen cowboy boots and a kilt, but I probably wasn't looking, LOL.

It is tempting when looking back at history to judge its actors by the standards of our times. In my opinion this can be dangerous. It is one thing to acknowledge a historical wrong or atrocity. Too often this accompanied by demonization.

While there are truly evil people in history, most are products of their times and culture. Demonization allows us to dissociate from the people of the past. Instead, we see them as totally unlikely us. We can then smugly say, we're better and more enlightened. This hubris can blind us to lessons of how the events and attitudes of the times can lead good people to do terrible things and/or remain silent while evil occurs. Without this insight, we can't see when we are about commit our own crimes.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 124,917.75
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Hello allÖ
I had come across this forum roughly around 3 years ago or thereabouts and periodically read the odd thread or two out of curiosity.

To use that old clichť, the internet is an amazing place for bringing people together who otherwise would never find it possible to interact and share thoughts, feelings, ideas and whatnot.

So, I am fully aware that the nature of this forum is specifically for people who attend Pow Wowís which are dances that have significant meaning to the many different cultures of the indigenous people across the USA. I am essentially a stranger in your house (forum) who has zero connection to anything remotely related to any of the men and women (or however you may identify) of this forum.

In short, this forum is not meant for me.

With that said, I thought it wise to introduce myself before I go any further as there are many links that posters on here share that take you to, for example, videos of Pow Wowís they have recorded and posted on YouTube or, posts that have described their last dance they attended and who they met and the good/bad time they had as well as other information.

I am from Glasgow, Scotland. My cultural heritage is completely Scottish and Irish with some very small amounts of Danish, so small in fact it is barely worth mentioning but it is there. My Scottish side and my surname and dominant part of my heritage are that of a lowland Clan, who much to my relief was among the signers of the declaration of Arbroath (declaration of Scottish Independence made in 1320). The Irish side of my heritage is from the people who came to Scotland during the potato famine, and cousinsí aunts and uncles who are still living in Ireland today.

My family is totally Catholic when it comes to religion, however my Mother and Father despite being baptised and having myself and my siblings baptised (only because it was the done thing) never raised any of us with Jesus in our lives or the teachings of Catholicism. It was only when we attended primary School did, we encounter the whole concept of God and Jesus, which was a shock to us and an even bigger shock to our teachers who were mortified that we knew nothing of God and had never attended mass. I am Atheist if you must know. Whatever religion you are though more power to you, if you are happy good for you, I am not one to judge what people believe or who they believe in, as long as you arenít harming others.

My Clan, however, have a pretty significant presence in the USA or did at one time I have no idea really how big they are. I have come across people online who claim to be descendants of my Clan in Texas, Virginia, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina and so on. When I say claim to, itís highly likely they are, the Scots Clans had a massive presence in the US as you are well aware. I am unaware of any relations in particular and it isnít something I am actively trying to discover.

Iíve actually seen those videos on YouTube and other places of the Scots descendants in America who hold an annual Scots Clan Heritage Day (not entirely sure of the specific name). They are far more involved with the Scots Clans than myself and everyone I know who is from a Clan, something that rarely ever comes up amongst the people I know anyway.

So, to get back more on to why I finally decided to post on here and away from my family history lesson, which again was only intended to introduce myself with full disclosure.

Growing up at least for me anyway, I was more aware of the cultural melting pot that is America. Knew for more historical figures from your country than my own, Sitting Bull, Lincoln, Washington, Frederick Douglass, Teddy Roosevelt, Red Cloud, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Mark Twain, Pancho Villa (Mexico of course but relevant to the history) and so on.

Iím always browsing my local bookstore for good books on The Civil War, Native peoples, Cowboys, Emancipation, Reconstruction you get the idea.

I actually have this very vivid memory from when I was a wee boy staying at my Dadís for the weekend and watching Custer of The West (we used to watch whatever Western was on TV together that day). I specifically remember the ending which portrays Custer as a valiant hero with his men fighting to the very end in a last stand against the ĎSavage Indianí. I remember my Dad laughing and saying it didnít happen like that at all and that Custer was probably one of the first to meet his end, and that the Native Warriors totally decimated Custer and his men. Was a ground-breaking moment for me, as I discovered that day that movies lie and put their own slant on history.

Having read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee several years ago which I found really hard to get through due to the first-hand accounts detailing what had happened to the Native People which left me totally shocked and appalled. I experienced a similar feeling tonight when I went to see the adaptation of Neither Wolf nor Dog at the cinema. When the credits rolled in that movie there was silence in the cinema, nobody moved, it was moving, Iíve not stopped thinking about it since I saw it.

The scene where they go into the Native Museum owned by the old white lady was angering and sad. I canít even begin to imagine how it must feel for native people when they see pieces of their culture being commodified for mass consumption.

I am in total awe of the dedication towards preserving your cultures for your future generations. I am saddened to think that my ancestors would have played a part in the attempted eradication of your ancestors, that they attempted to suppress your history and languages.

I always find it bewildering that the Scots Clans who prided themselves on the mantra of living Ďfreeí were happy to go to and take part in the colonisation of America, owning slaves and taking land from the Natives. A total contradiction to how we like to think of our ancestors, to be honest.

I apologise for how long-winded the post has been, I feel like I have said a lot and said nothing at all. Believe me, when I say I didnít come here to post this and expect all of you to welcome me with open arms and thank me or whatever, Iíve just really spent the whole day processing that movie.

Dave Bald Eagle was an absolute pleasure to watch in that movie, by the way, I was reminded of Harry Dean Stanton and his final farewell performance in Lucky. Obviously, Harry Dean Stanton was an icon due to the many popular movies he was in, so his death was worldwide news, but it is a shame that Dave Bald Eagleís death wasnít news for the world too, a real treasure of a human being.

Iím not on Twitter or Facebook so I donít really get the chance to connect with people in other parts of the world, social media is a just a noise of craziness anyway best avoided, I think.

Thanks to whoever has taken the time to read this, thank you for allowing me to post here. Iíd love to visit the US one day, so many things I would love to check out, would be nice to watch a Pow Wow in person, go to the Rodeo, watch a ball game, Iím a fan of the Houston Astros, Civil War battle sites, go see the 5 Spanish missions and so on.

Anyway, thanks again.

Kind regards.
Did you ever introduce yourself?

Welcome to powwows.com
subeeds likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links