Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree48Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Is this offensive? Is this offensive?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
HUUUUUUUUUH!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Savings: 0.00
Vince Beyl just said "Swing and Sway the Albuquerque Way" at Gathering of Nations this afternoon before Boys Grass Dance.

It's a shame the young girl that started this thread didn't actually attend the event that she was perplexed over, one of those things that Zeke would want her to attend. Earlier she posted asking if it was too late to learn to fancy shawl dance, she could have started learning at the show as well.
Josiah and Ipta like this.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

Ipta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scaleIpta is off the scale
Credits: 428.81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
Vince Beyl just said "Swing and Sway the Albuquerque Way" at Gathering of Nations this afternoon before Boys Grass Dance.

It's a shame the young girl that started this thread didn't actually attend the event that she was perplexed over, one of those things that Zeke would want her to attend. Earlier she posted asking if it was too late to learn to fancy shawl dance, she could have started learning at the show as well.
Yes, it it a shame.

I would have loved to, but it would have required skipping a performance that I have been preparing for since the start of the semester. One of the things about my major is it requires a lot of my free time. Also, there were three other performances that were going on all at the same time. The Jazz ensemble concert, The Love letters speaker, and the dancing event. I am a member of the jazz ensemble, and the credit I get for it goes toward my major.

As for learning fancy shawl, I am learning. I began to learn from a friend at home during the winter break. But thank you for stating that it was an opportunity. :) And maybe next year I'll get to see the dancers, as long as there's not another performance that I'm required to play at. My school stuff comes first always.

I am learning about stuff from other cultures, and that includes sayings. The saying was new to me at the beginning of the week, and now it is not. I don't regret asking, because now I am informed. And that's all that started this. Was a question, and worry. I don't know who Vince Beyl is, but thank you for another example of people saying this phrase. It does calm my nerves to see that people do use this, and it is not offensive.

Thank you for commenting Iowaboy.
Ipta is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #23
Agent of Chaos

RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,230.60
THIS is offensive!

"Don't trust anyone who isn't hungry."
- Me
RestlessN8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #24
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,569.58
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipta View Post
But in all seriousness, apparently the phrase refers to the fringe on the shawls of dancers swaying as they dance.
Something I totally didn't comprehend. Silly me.

Thanks again!
Mitakuye Oyasin
iiiyyaaaan!! the phrase refers to the fringe on the grass dancers. wica peji ohopa!

and your not misguided, you have ideals, there's a major distinction between the two. ohan+
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links