• 2 Post By Spiritflight
  • 5 Post By Zeke
  • 1 Post By Stands Alone
  • 7 Post By Fang
  • 3 Post By wyo_rose
  • 3 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 4 Post By blueberry111
  • 2 Post By RestlessN8iv

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Is it okay to ask.... Is it okay to ask....

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ladykarli is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 161.01
Savings: 0.00
Is it okay to ask....

I would like to know if my features are Native. I suspect my Mother is 1/2 Navajo. For many reasons not just her facial features. I do not mean to come off childish or lost I am just a bit confused. Grandma was a bit of a wild woman. They lived in Yuma AZ. & she sang in bars for a living. The idea my Mother is 100% Irish like she insists is ridiculous. All you have to do is look at her. I myself have been called every name in the book including CHINK. Mom is angry & defensive when I ask so I was just wondering in your opinion...Would you think Native American when looking at us? Please take NO offense at anything I post. I already believe I have native blood & would be proud to have it turn out I am of Navajo or any native blood. I feel a bit foolish so please be kind in you reply. The first pic is one of my Mother with a pic of a Native lady. I thought it almost looked like a picture of my Mom :)
The next myself & then one of me Holding my fist born Daughter.
Attached Thumbnails
547237_3500081988453_1369766250_n.jpg   528340_4743743399211_668034246_n.jpg   616139_3811473933057_568525703_o.jpg  
Ladykarli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Champion Dancer

Items SwordTreasure Chest
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 26,093.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladykarli View Post
I would like to know if my features are Native. I suspect my Mother is 1/2 Navajo. For many reasons not just her facial features. I do not mean to come off childish or lost I am just a bit confused. Grandma was a bit of a wild woman. They lived in Yuma AZ. & she sang in bars for a living. The idea my Mother is 100% Irish like she insists is ridiculous. All you have to do is look at her. I myself have been called every name in the book including CHINK. Mom is angry & defensive when I ask so I was just wondering in your opinion...Would you think Native American when looking at us? Please take NO offense at anything I post. I already believe I have native blood & would be proud to have it turn out I am of Navajo or any native blood. I feel a bit foolish so please be kind in you reply. The first pic is one of my Mother with a pic of a Native lady. I thought it almost looked like a picture of my Mom :)
Can't answer your question but wanted to tell you that you have an adorable daughter!
Ladykarli likes this.
Stands Alone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Thank you. She is 11 now :)She is the first of 4. She is the big one in the middle of course.
Attached Thumbnails
603942_4714903718237_267713498_n.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Champion Dancer

Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Thank you. She is 11 now :)She is the first of 4. She is the big one in the middle of course.
All 4 are cute kids! Welcome to the site!
Ladykarli likes this.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 14,407.41
Quote:
Welcome to Powwows.com - I hope you can find what you are looking for.
Stands Alone and Ladykarli like this.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Savings: 1.00
1. Welcome.
2. I look Samoan, Hawaiian or Mexican.
3. You just can't tell, anymore.

If you think I am joking, there are a few photographs of me here.

I don't even know what Native features are anymore.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Champion Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
1. Welcome.

Wow Zeke! Never would have thought of you as an International...???
Ladykarli likes this.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 19,485.51
Your children are so precious!

As for the original question, it's hard to say. I know many people who "look native" and aren't, just as I know man who are of native blood and don't "look" it. We're such a mixed group of people (and so any Nations have varying features) that there isn't a definitive "native" look.

If you truly want to find about about your possibly native heritage, I'd suggest doing some research on your family. Otherwise all I can say about your looks is that you are a beautiful woman from whatever culture you're from.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Yeah I am thinking I will save up & try DNA testing. Thank you for the complements. I am happy in my life but someday I would like to know. For my own curiosity. I know we have traced a bit of black foot supposedly on my Father's side. I guess if I want to know for sure I will have to test it. Wonder if the blood tests are as accurate as they claim to be.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
You look more native than me! (There's a pic or two of me, in my profile and member gallery.)

Thanks for sharing, and I think it's fine to ask. And not knowing has to be really hard. This is a perfect case for DNA testing, although I know it IS expensive.

You look especially native in your avatar...and I would have to say, each feature - eyes, nose, mouth, etc... I'm no expert - just have the experience of cheking out a lot of "mixed heritage" people, including myself, for that "native look".

Something that's cool to check, is to see if you inherited the "shovel-shaped" incisors. Are the back of your front teeth flat, or are the edges raised - similar to the sides of a scoop shovel? You can google that if I'm not making myself clear.

That might be something to have your mom check too...even if you don't tell her why you're checking. ;) And as I remember reading once, is that Natives have crumbly ear wax...although everybody is different. My brother has crumbly and my mom doesn't, so maybe it's too weird and gross to even mention.

Your mom has her own looks...who knows??!! She reminds me of some of the ranch ladies that live around here...some are native, some aren't.

I would be hesitant to say Navajo anyway. Yuma isn't really in their part of the region, although...with a quarter million Navajos, I've seen they are all over the country.

The Quechan people are from the south-west AZ area. You have a cute nose like from that area!! Just my opinion!! and yes, adorable kids!!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 124,917.75
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
You look more native than me! (There's a pic or two of me, in my profile and member gallery.)

Thanks for sharing, and I think it's fine to ask. And not knowing has to be really hard. This is a perfect case for DNA testing, although I know it IS expensive.

You look especially native in your avatar...and I would have to say, each feature - eyes, nose, mouth, etc... I'm no expert - just have the experience of cheking out a lot of "mixed heritage" people, including myself, for that "native look".

Something that's cool to check, is to see if you inherited the "shovel-shaped" incisors. Are the back of your front teeth flat, or are the edges raised - similar to the sides of a scoop shovel? You can google that if I'm not making myself clear.

That might be something to have your mom check too...even if you don't tell her why you're checking. ;) And as I remember reading once, is that Natives have crumbly ear wax...although everybody is different. My brother has crumbly and my mom doesn't, so maybe it's too weird and gross to even mention.

Your mom has her own looks...who knows??!! She reminds me of some of the ranch ladies that live around here...some are native, some aren't.

I would be hesitant to say Navajo anyway. Yuma isn't really in their part of the region, although...with a quarter million Navajos, I've seen they are all over the country.

The Quechan people are from the south-west AZ area. You have a cute nose like from that area!! Just my opinion!! and yes, adorable kids!!
WellI know you look NDN...and there is no doubt once you start talking!!!

wyo_rose is a pretty NDN woman! lol

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Agent of Chaos

RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,230.60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
1. Welcome.

^this.

"Don't trust anyone who isn't hungry."
- Me
RestlessN8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

My teeth do indeed have a "shovel" type curve to them.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
blueberry

Items User Name Style ChangeUser Title Change
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,507.37
Quote:
Welcome here!

I think your mom could possibly be native.. But if in doubt, try genealogy before you do DNA. It is like a puzzle or a mystery game.. and doesn't cost as much for sure!
blueberry111 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
Agent of Chaos

RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,230.60
Like Zeke, I'm not too sure about what "Native features" are. For example: my sister looks like she just walked off the Rez, and I look like I just walked out of a mobster movie.

So I'm not sure I can help you.
Ladykarli and gilisi like this.

"Don't trust anyone who isn't hungry."
- Me
RestlessN8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Chillin'here

Cherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond reputeCherocayuga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,985.00
Ive heard DNA testing only works for men and that results are only conclusive for men. But I don't know. I hope that's not true. I am Haudenoshaunee and Cherokee on my mother's side, and I think Irish on my fathers side... But I don't know and it would surely be nice to know what I may have gotten from him. Maybe Irish, or Scottish or heck even Russian or French, but if what I heard is true, sadly I will never know. :(
Cherocayuga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

Mushbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 391.18
DNA testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherocayuga View Post
Ive heard DNA testing only works for men and that results are only conclusive for men. But I don't know. I hope that's not true. I am Haudenoshaunee and Cherokee on my mother's side, and I think Irish on my fathers side... But I don't know and it would surely be nice to know what I may have gotten from him. Maybe Irish, or Scottish or heck even Russian or French, but if what I heard is true, sadly I will never know. :(

I am female and I took the 23andme DNA test and it shows that I have a very mixed heritage including 3% First Nation from the American Northwest. When women take the test it traces the X from your mother and the X that your father gets from his mother. For the men it traces the X from their mother and the Y from their fathers. The test is very good and I feel it is the most accurate of all the tests out there.
Mushbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links