Like Tree19Likes
  • 4 Post By WhoMe
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By eagleclanriverband
  • 2 Post By AmigoKumeyaay
  • 4 Post By Josiah
  • 2 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Origins of Native Americans? Origins of Native Americans?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mystic is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 200.05
Savings: 0.00
Origins of Native Americans?

Speaking with a member of the Cherokee Tribe, she told me something which baffled me, that Native Americans had originally travelled from Asia to the Americas. Doing research online, I am finding conflicting "scientists" reports both for and against this idea. What say you guys on this and is there any definitive and solid proof today for one or the other or is this still a matter of an individual's opinion please? Thanks.
mystic is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View Post
Speaking with a member of the Cherokee Tribe, she told me something which baffled me, that Native Americans had originally travelled from Asia to the Americas. Doing research online, I am finding conflicting "scientists" reports both for and against this idea. What say you guys on this and is there any definitive and solid proof today for one or the other or is this still a matter of an individual's opinion please? Thanks.

LOL. Well that was mighty colonial of your Cherokee friend!

In reality, every tribe has or had a creation account of how their people came to be. In these age old stories it has been passed down that we came from the stars, the heavens, the underworld, lakes, rivers, valleys, canyons, caves, mountains and islands.

Our creation accounts, like other creation accounts of the world's spiritual beliefs, have to be taken by faith...
Old 02-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 46,405.85
My people's creation story have us emerging from a cave in the Black Hills. My Dine friends' ancestors climbed a reed into this world.

Now you can choose to look at this with western "rational" eyes and call these allusions to a trip across some fabled land bridge. You can choose to assail these stories; just as many in the dominant culture have done to their own creation stories, hallowing them out and denouncing those who still believe.

Or you can remember that stories have power. Words can create and call a thing, for good or ill, to us.
windanncer likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

So doesn't make sense I pursue this any further then as there would be no definitive answer. I had always thought the Native Americans were one tribe, one blood but the Cherokee friend told me that different tribes have different mixtures depending on their location.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I had always thought the Native Americans were one tribe, one blood but the Cherokee friend told me that different tribes have different mixtures depending on their location.
?!

Let me suggest before you approach folks on any rez, as you were discussing on the other thread, you read some more realistic books:

Anton Treuer, Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask, Borealis Books, 2012.

Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz and Dina Gilio-Whitaker, All the Real Indians Died Off": And 20 Other Myths About Native Americans, Beacon Press, 2016.

Charles Mann, 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, Vintage Books, 2006.

Charles Mann, 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created, Vintage Books, 2012.

Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States (ReVisioning American History), Beacon Press, 2015.

James Wilson, The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native AmericaGrove Press, 2000.

David Treuer, Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation LifeGrove Press, 2013.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Thanks, will do!
Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 AM   #7
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,248.83
Quote:
I'd say that it might be helpful if the person who is a member of the Cherokee Tribe with whom you have been talking to, also reads the books that OLC suggested. :>)

The place of origin of my tribe was at the mouth of what is now called the Menominee River which is located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
OLChemist, windanncer and mystic like this.
eagleclanriverband is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Seeking Truth is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 199.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
?!

Let me suggest before you approach folks on any rez, as you were discussing on the other thread, you read some more realistic books:

Anton Treuer, Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask, Borealis Books, 2012.

Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz and Dina Gilio-Whitaker, All the Real Indians Died Off": And 20 Other Myths About Native Americans, Beacon Press, 2016.

Charles Mann, 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, Vintage Books, 2006.

Charles Mann, 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created, Vintage Books, 2012.

Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States (ReVisioning American History), Beacon Press, 2015.

James Wilson, The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native AmericaGrove Press, 2000.

David Treuer, Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation LifeGrove Press, 2013.
If, I may. I am going to buy a few of these books. I have come to learn that I love to read. Thank you
Seeking Truth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Looking at fossils or skeletons, we theorize homo sapiens evolved eventually from Neanderthals, and many people still carry a bit of Neanderthal DNA.

An Ice Age land bridge is not needed when people have sailed for eons. An ice age probably pushed people to move toward better climates, but that is a theory also.

So, the other angle on this... what is implied if Native Americans had distant ancestors from the asian / mongolia areas?

Why not everybody started in Canada and spread out from there?
Josiah and windanncer like this.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,462.41
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Hmm, stories my kinfolk always told, that we have always been here after emerging from a cave. No land bridge, not sure what Cherokee tribe they belonged to must be one of those lost ones...
Old 05-03-2017, 03:52 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Jim77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 217.16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
?!

Of the books you have listed OLChemist, which 2 would recommend most highly?
Jim77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim77 View Post
Of the books you have listed OLChemist, which 2 would recommend most highly?
That would depend somewhat on what your focus is.

For a fairly surface debunking of dominant culture myths about Native people:

Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask
All the Real Indians Died Off: And 20 Other Myths About Native Americans

For a view of the world before and after Columbus and just how radically both hemispheres changed each other:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created

For a survey of the history of post-contact Native North America:

An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States
The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native America
windanncer and Broken Arrow like this.
Sponsored Links