• 2 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 2 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By yaahl
  • 3 Post By wardancer
  • 3 Post By Joe's Dad

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Picture of my Children's Great Great Grandmother With Indian Artifacts Picture of my Children's Great Great Grandmother With Indian Artifacts

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Susette is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 121.01
Savings: 0.00
Picture of my Children's Great Great Grandmother With Indian Artifacts

I have been researching my childrens' Indian heritage for a number of years now, but haven't been able to find the information that I am looking for. Their Great Great Grandmother Ellen D. Cannedy Pitchford Wood Range had grandparents that were full Indian. Her grandfather was an Indian Chief and I have a picture of her holding a Golden Eagle wing with head attached and a white wolf's skin laying next to her.

Ellen's Grandmother was Elizabeth Jane Dyer and her father was James Dyer. They were both born in Tennessee. I find Dyers on the lists, but don't see a connection to them, but don't know for sure if I have the right James Dyer I have been researching - father Matthew Dyer.

Ellen's Grandmother on her father's (Oliver Houston Pierce Cannedy)side was Eliza Grizzle. Her father was Herod Grizzle.
They were also in Tennessee.

Ellen told one family member that they were Sac and Fox. I think the history of our families are so interesting and I would like to be able to find out more information. Does anyone have any suggestions. Tina
Attached Thumbnails
ellen-001.jpg  
Spiritflight likes this.
Susette is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susette View Post
I have been researching my childrens' Indian heritage for a number of years now, but haven't been able to find the information that I am looking for. Their Great Great Grandmother Ellen D. Cannedy Pitchford Wood Range had grandparents that were full Indian. Her grandfather was an Indian Chief and I have a picture of her holding a Golden Eagle wing with head attached and a white wolf's skin laying next to her.

Ellen's Grandmother was Elizabeth Jane Dyer and her father was James Dyer. They were both born in Tennessee. I find Dyers on the lists, but don't see a connection to them, but don't know for sure if I have the right James Dyer I have been researching - father Matthew Dyer.

Ellen's Grandmother on her father's (Oliver Houston Pierce Cannedy)side was Eliza Grizzle. Her father was Herod Grizzle.
They were also in Tennessee.

Ellen told one family member that they were Sac and Fox. I think the history of our families are so interesting and I would like to be able to find out more information. Does anyone have any suggestions. Tina
Looking in the Federal Census sections for natives prior to 1900 is like looking for a needle in a haystack. For in most parts of the country Natives were not Citizens of the US but members of sovereign nations and in some case considered hostile to the US.
For instance the Sac and Fox tribe you speak of is actually a tribe made up from two separate and distinct tribes: Sauk tribe originally made there home in the Ohio River valley in Ohio and Indiana and with Western expansion in the late 1700 to early 1800's were slowly pushed west. The Fox tribe were a smaller tribe that was almost wiped out and went to live with the Sauks in the early 1800's. As far as I know they were never counted on the Federal census until after 1900. They also mainly lived farther north of Tennessee. The Cherokee, Yuchi and Shawnees made there home in Tennessee up to the 1810 and thru a series of Wars were forced out and moved outward and onward. In Fact most Cherokees were out of Tennessee after about 1820 and those that the white settlers found still living along the rivers were shot on sight.
windanncer likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,829.89
Shot on site, just like the Chamberlain police of South Dakota did to my grandfather.
windanncer likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 123,607.30
You may want to check on the validity of that wing being Golden Eagle.

It looks very much like a left wing from a Red-Tailed Hawk.
windanncer likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post

Here you go JD, pics of a Golden's wing groupings:

From here: Birds Of Alberta: Golden Eagle
Attached Thumbnails
feathers_golden-20eagle_wing_ad_sec.jpg   feathers_golden-20eagle_wing_flamingo_chryssa.jpg  
windanncer likes this.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the site Susette:

We have several forums that discuss ancestors and their descendants. Please have a look around there - you might find a few bits of info useful.

While many, many families describe their ancestors as being an Indian Princess, what your photo reveals is more akin to a hunter and trappper's yeild from a good season. I note in the background of the pic that there seems to be a drawing/painting of a wolf? Perhaps your ancestor was a painter and had these furs and feathers on hand to see the details often needed by realism/wildlife painters. What I'm trying to say is that you don't necessarily have "Indian" artifacts but rather the tools of an artist or the trade of a trapper.

In my people's early photos, luxuries such as an unused wolf pelt or raw wing of an eagle would be considered wasteful of the resources... my ancestors would have had that wolf pelt made into something warm as soon as the tanning was complete or sold to the fur trapper's market. We did not decorate our homes with animal bits...that is a much later in the 20th century phenom.
OLChemist, windanncer and subeeds like this.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 64,881.58
Quote:

I believe you to be correct !
Eagle Plumes and windanncer like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Here is a pictures of the red tailed hawk feathers.
Attached Thumbnails
feathernumber_wing.jpg  
windanncer likes this.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Powwow Dancer View Post
This may be a more authentic picture. Note the feathers on the fan and dance stick. And if you could see the back, you would see an inner layer bustle of Red Tail wings.
Attached Thumbnails
joe-nakoma.jpg  
Eagle Plumes and windanncer like this.

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This may be a more authentic picture. Note the feathers on the fan and dance stick. And if you could see the back, you would see an inner layer bustle of Red Tail wings.
Hey , Is that Joe ??? Or Joe's Dad as a boy ??? Inquiring minds want to know !!!!
windanncer likes this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Powwow Dancer View Post
I believe this is a Cooper's or Sharp Shinned Hawk.

Just saying.
windanncer likes this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Last edited by Joe's Dad; 09-09-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Hey , Is that Joe ??? Or Joe's Dad as a boy ??? Inquiring minds want to know !!!!
That's my son, Joe, at about 4 or 5 years old. He's the one getting low Tradish Style. Him and the other little boy, Nakoma, danced against each other for many years.

My son told me he's getting another outfit ready. We've been able to gather most his stuff. He should be getting a new roach along the same lines as mine later this month.
windanncer likes this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #13
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
There are some on here that think we don't know the difference between hawk and eagle feathers......obviously they don't know how many we've taken apart in our lives ! just sayin'

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
There are some on here that think we don't know the difference between hawk and eagle feathers......obviously they don't know how many we've taken apart in our lives ! just sayin'
Wow, can you be anymore condescending WD?

The pictures were posted so that JD could use visuals to explain to the OP what he meant by the difference between species.

just saying...
windanncer likes this.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Wow, can you be anymore condescending WD?

The pictures were posted so that JD could use visuals to explain to the OP what he meant by the difference between species.

just saying...
sure....whatever you say....

By the way , did you ever get back to Chevy on her issue with you ?

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
EVERYBODY is Just Saying!
Sponsored Links